shedding

dave101

Today when i got home from work, i noticed my cham is shedding really bad, his skin peels are everywhere and still peeling off. what could cause this?

Today when i got home from work, i noticed my cham is shedding really bad, his skin peels are everywhere and still peeling off. what could cause this?

He's growing!!! It's a good thing, keep up on the misting and up the humidity to aid in the shed. Thier skin doesn't grow like humans, so they shed off the old skin to reviel there new skin underneath.

Haha. Chameleons shed as they grow. Their skin doesn't grow with them. Reptiles shed, and this is a normal, healthy sign.

Judging by the way which you describe the shed, it appears you have taken very good care of him! A good shed means your cham is healthy.

You might want to up misting while your cham sheds. Mist your cham a little bit too with warm water. It helps the skin fall off and makes him more comfortable sooner. Fred, my cham, just had his first good shed, and I actually placed him in the bathtub with a little bit of warm water to help the skin fall off. He seems much more comfortable now! Previous to his bath he was scratching on everything he could come across. I guess they get itchy. lol

yeah my cham did the same thing it practically poped off of him lol. he was clean in under 1hr, and i misted him pretty well to help with any shedding eye complications that happens in chams sometimes, but i dont think he needed it just good to do it anyway

It depends. There isn't an exact number on how many times shedding should occur, as growth rates of individuals vary. It can range anywhere between 1-2 a month for a four month, to double that when shedding in sections. May I inquire as to why you are asking this? A shedding chameleon means it is healthy. Shedding will decrease as the chameleon gets older, but expect a four month old to be shedding quite often.

Back
Top Bottom