My Chameleons spines look weird

clare bear.jpg

About 3 weeks ago my Chams spines looked like this and I thought it was just the beginning of his spines shedding, but now they look worse.
clarence.jpg

You can see that they are black and they are peeling off. Is he just shedding or is something wrong? What do I do?!

Hi and welcome. I’m going to suspect that your cham has gotten a thermal burn. It’s hard to tell from the 2nd pic. Can you get a closer/clearer pic? What are your basking temps? Can you post a pic of your entire enclosure? If it is a burn, he’ll need a vet visit and will be prescribed a burn cream to help heal it and take care of any infection.

Hi and welcome. I’m going to suspect that your cham has gotten a thermal burn. It’s hard to tell from the 2nd pic. Can you get a closer/clearer pic? What are your basking temps? Can you post a pic of your entire enclosure? If it is a burn, he’ll need a vet visit and will be prescribed a burn cream to help heal it and take care of any infection.
Yeah I thought it was a burn too at first, but I lowered his basking spot and went down to a temp of 75 instead of 100. I’ll take a better pic of it when I get home! Thank you for your response.

Yeah I thought it was a burn too at first, but I lowered his basking spot and went down to a temp of 75 instead of 100. I’ll take a better pic of it when I get home! Thank you for your response.
For an adult male veiled, you want to keep the basking temp around 82-85. Make sure he can’t get any closer to the lights than about 8-9”. You can hold your hand where his back and casque will be on his basking branch. If it’s too hot to hold your hand there for a couple of minutes, it’s too hot for your cham and risk burns.

I’m afraid that is a burn. 🙁 My guess is that he’s been able to climb the artificial plant in the corner below his basking light, so I suggest removing that. It’s hard to gauge distance, but the topmost branch may be too high also. The green vine looks to be at a perfect distance from lights for basking. As I already said, a vet visit is best and they can provide a burn cream, silver sulfadiazine, that is by prescription only and is the absolute best for burns and other wounds. Depending on the depth of the burn, he may need oral antibiotics too. To me it doesn’t look that deep or extensive, but burns can be deceiving. I’ll guess that he will most likely lose the burned spines and they won’t grow back.
I’d like to also suggest that you add many more branches and vines for your handsome guy. I know it’s difficult to attach to screen. Try some garden trellis attached to the frame of your enclosure to attach branches to.

Lowering the basking branch will keep him further away from the basking light and decrease the chance of burns on his back….but if there’s a way to get onto the screen where he will again be close to the basking light he can still burn parts of his body and legs. iMHO it’s better to raise the basking light than lower the place he sits. Also, I recommend testing it with your hand. Place your hand back side up under the screen, as close as you can get to the basking light. If you want to move your hand, then it will likely burn your chameleon.

Back
Top Bottom