Shedding question

AlexKouns

Hello all,
My baby panther just had his first shed with me! I started to notice it on Sunday and everything came off fine except for this piece on top of his head. I was just wondering if this is too long for the shed to stay on? I have seen conflicting reports on whether to keep the humidity up or down if some of the shed is stuck. For now, I have just been doing my normal routine in hopes that it would come off but am starting to get a bit concerned. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

The picture attached was taken today.

Attachments

• IMG_2961.jpeg
    IMG_2961.jpeg
    140.5 KB · Views: 91
No need to worry. I usually just keep the humidity and misting up. On my adult and social chameleons I would leave it for a week or two and then after that kind of wet it a little and brush it off them if it wasn't connected. Never forced it of course.

There's a good chance your chameleon will pull it off themselves.

Very cute by the way!

Maintain normal humidity. Never use water to remove shed.

At this age your Cham should be shedding in a matter of hours head to tail. You may want to review your supplements and gutloading strategy as this is where most shed issues originate.

Okay, so is there anything I should do right now in regards to the stuck shed?
Also, I just noticed a bit still stuck on his upper lip area in that picture. It is kind of hard to see but if you look closely you can see it. I have heard that the lip area is very sensitive and brings up some more concerns than other parts of the body.

Attachments

• IMG_2963.jpeg
    IMG_2963.jpeg
    221.4 KB · Views: 92
I’ve never heard of the lips being a especially sensitive area.

No. The only time you should intervene on a shed is if a cuff forms and is threatening circulation in a limb.

Can you describe your gutload and supplement schedule in detail?

Warm spritz with a hand sprayer. The shed will hydrate and dry out, over and over, and turn into really brittle paper and fall off on its own. As others said, dont pull it off, you dont know what its attached to. If its attached to new skin you may damage it, which will cause a worst stuck shed next shed. Or worst its stuck to a scab, and you pull the scab off with the stuck shed.

Warm spritz with a hand sprayer. The shed will hydrate and dry out, over and over, and turn into really brittle paper and fall off on its own. As others said, dont pull it off, you dont know what its attached to. If its attached to new skin you may damage it, which will cause a worst stuck shed next shed. Or worst its stuck to a scab, and you pull the scab off with the stuck shed.
Very surprised to hear you say this. I know you know chams are dry shedders. And all adding water does is return the elasticity to the shed thereby delaying the process further.

What makes you say this? Genuinely curious.

Very surprised to hear you say this. I know you know chams are dry shedders. And all adding water does is return the elasticity to the shed thereby delaying the process further.

What makes you say this? Genuinely curious.

Its just what i do. Its "stuck". So i have found that if i wet it, let it dry out, wet it, let it dry out. It turns into a bunch of smaller pieces and just flakes off or at least flakes down enough to not be a concern(stuck to a scab). Now if a cham is just "shedding", no im not going to mist/spray it to "help". Now that i think about it, a shedding cham that got stuck under a mister may have a bit of a problem on its hands till it drys off. But if its been 2-3 days and its got a good chunk of foot still stuck, ill do the above in hopes the peel will split and start falling off.

I’ve never heard of the lips being a especially sensitive area.

No. The only time you should intervene on a shed is if a cuff forms and is threatening circulation in a limb.

Can you describe your gutload and supplement schedule in detail?

Gutload: I gutload my crickets with apples, carrots and big burger. I also have bug burger in the fruit fly colony, because he mostly eats those still. I have no idea if the flies eat the bug burger but thought it couldn’t hurt to put it in there.

Supplements: I use repashy calcium plus LoD at every feeding. This is the only supplement I am using.

Update: Today he still has the patch on his head that isn’t coming off. It seems that a little bit of the flaky part did come off but there is still a good chunk stuck still

Back
Top Bottom