Shedding And Feeding Questions?

Hi, newbie question here:

I got an Adult/young Adult(?) Veiled last Saturday.

Seems to have no interest in food so far (I have tried crickets,waxworms,and mixed greens). But he is clearly in shed. I'm a snake guy,and this is my first Cham, and my snakes often go off their feed while shedding.

So, before I add general questions on feeding, I would like to know if Chams go off their feed when shedding?? If not, I can post further info, to see if it is anything else other than taking a while to settle in....

Thanks.

Hello and welcome to the forums! I have 2 veileds and they never go off food while shedding. A young adult should be eating like crazy. Post some picture of your veiled and his set up.
Here's a link to get all kinds of great info on your chameleon:

http://raisingkittytheveiledchameleon.blogspot.com/

How to ask for help

Here is some recommended information to include when asking for help in the health clinic forum. By providing this information, you will receive more accurate and beneficial responses. It might not be necessary to answer all these questions, but the more you provide the better. Please remember that even the most knowledgeable person can only guess at what your problem may be. Only an experienced reptile veterinarian who can directly examine your animal can give a true diagnosis of your chameleon's health.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage construction (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
Lighting - What brand, model, and type of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
Location - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
Current Problem - The current problem that you are concerned about.

Pictures are helpful

Thanks for your reply. Are your Veileds WC? If so, how long did they take to settle in?? I caught mine myself last weekend so I imagine it may take a while to settle in.

Here is the only pic I have so far, a bad sleeping one.

Should I add the other info to this General Thread or go to the health forum??

BTW, I see you are in Ft. Pierce, are you in the St. Lucie Herp Soc??

Attachments

• Vcham0001.jpg
    Vcham0001.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 124
This is similiar to the issue Im having with Ben(ita) right now..I used to have her food dish on the bottom of the cage (she hisses if I attemt to handfeed her or come near her with the bowl)..shewould go down and eat okay..someone told me to move it to the top, so I did..Im not sure if its me moving it to the top or the fact that 3 days ago I put a dubia in and she was scared pooless of it..I removed the dubia as she had no interest in it but she still don't eat.. I tried hand feeding again this morn thinking she should be starved but she just hisses and run. (superworms) she ate about 5 cricket within the last 2 days, but thats it..she is shedding.. Im not sure what more to do. i dont know when my order will get here from Georgia bugs as I havent received an email..and my fruit flied havent hatched yet..

When Lily was receptive and gravid she lost interest in food. Towards the end of November I couldn't get her to eat anything at all for 10 days. Not even a single waxworm - she just refused to eat anything I offered her! I tried crickets, locusts, mealworms (newly shed), superworms, waxworms and even silkworms and she wouldn't touch a thing!

After the 10 days she showed a bit more interest but still ate next to nothing - a couple of items a day at most - and she stayed like that until she laid her monster clutch on Dec 23rd. I guess she had no room left for food with a belly full of eggs! :D

Thanks, that makes me feel a bit better..how will I know for sure, outside of digging, which she hasnt done.. Like I sai,d until 3 days ago, I thought she was a HE. I do have a bucket in there but not sure.. With BEtty, she went to the ground and used the substrate...what if Ben(ita) doesnt like the bucket!? AHHHH

welcome to the wondering world of chams,

Your cham may be off his eating schedule due to adjusting to a new environment. It may take a while longer for him or Her to adjust. you could try to entice your cham to eat by using other food sources such as flies and silkies. Personally my chams cant resist anything that flies. Moths (non poisonous ones) also are something that might entice.

Durring their shed increase the humidity and misting sessions to aid in the shedding process.

also filling out the questionaire "Jannb " recommended may also help other keepers to tweak your setup to the most optimal conditions for your Cham.

I was looking at the time stamp on your photo...Has your cham been sleeping early like that alot?

Hope that helps

OPI

welcome to the wondering world of chams,

Your cham may be off his eating schedule due to adjusting to a new environment. It may take a while longer for him or Her to adjust. you could try to entice your cham to eat by using other food sources such as flies and silkies. Personally my chams cant resist anything that flies. Moths (non poisonous ones) also are something that might entice.

Durring their shed increase the humidity and misting sessions to aid in the shedding process.

also filling out the questionaire "Jannb " recommended may also help other keepers to tweak your setup to the most optimal conditions for your Cham.

I was looking at the time stamp on your photo...Has your cham been sleeping early like that alot?

Hope that helps

OPI

NOt sure I follow what you mean on sleeping early like that or what photo you are referring to?? She goes to bed around 7-730 when the lights shut off at 7..and wakes up at 7 when they kick on. She goes to a dark corner to sleep. I mist her often with hot water as its warm when released (correct!?) She still runs from it. I filled out all that stuff somewhere else I think..ive already posted pics of the habitat and its satisfactory.. I just didnt know if her shedding had anything to do with her lack of eating or if because the last time she looked in her dish a giant roach was in there. She eyes the food when I attempt to hand feed but is so leary around me that I think she gets too nervous. I should get my order either today or tomorrow of silkies, the flies havent hatched yet. Thanks.

Hope that helps

OPI

I added a thread in Health forum with that info.

I don't know what the the timestamp says, lights go off at about 9pm. I think that photo was actually taken about midnight.

okay so i got Ben(ita) to eat 2 superworms and one cricket today! I changed out her feeding dish to a clear container and hung it ont he wall of her cage. She was able to see the movement inside vs her old ceramic container..therefore she was drawn to it and ate a little bit. yay, I learned something! :) My hornworms and silkies should be here tomorrow!!!

Back
Top Bottom