She`s gravid.

chameleonneeds

Avid Member
Hey,

My female Veiled IS gravid with infertile eggs because she rejected the male and has bulges by her back legs I put her in a egglaying chamber today with sand, vermiculite and potting soil, and it is compresed there is a branch in it with a fake plant, does this sound right?
I put her in this morning and when I got back at 3pm today she still didnt do anything, why? I know shes defenitly gravid (infertile) could you guys help with when I should put her back in and for how long?
Or does anyone know of how I can get her to lay when she needs to.

Thanks

Maybe she isn't ready yet? I would give her a couple days then try the container again.

Do you have a picture of her? It might help the breeders to identify how far along she is.

I cant find the cd for the camera so I cant upload pics!,
Yeah she will still eat normaly but I dont want to over feed her so that she has a small clutch, since I want fertile eggs one day.
She has become more aggressive.

I would recommend that you put an opaque container in her cage that is big enough (when empty) for the female to fit into with several inches to spare on all sides including above and below her. Fill it about 2/3rds full of moist washed playsand. This will give her a place to dig to show you that she is getting ready to lay eggs. When she is intent on digging, then you can move her to the egglaying container. This will cut down on the chances of her becoming eggbound. I would leave this container in her cage all the time so you don't miss the signs that indicate she needs to lay eggs in the future either.

I cant find the cd for the camera so I cant upload pics!,
Yeah she will still eat normaly but I dont want to over feed her so that she has a small clutch, since I want fertile eggs one day.
She has become more aggressive.

I know that this is a chameleon forum and I probably shouldn't go on about this, but I've had a lot of experience with cameras and I would recommend going to the website of your camera manufacturer and downloading the software off of there. If you have trouble finding it, PM me with your camera Brand and Model number and I'll send you a link to the right page. Pics will really prove useful for something like this!

Hope this helps,

-Patrick

New Breeder

Hi I am a first time breeder and have got a heavily gravid veiled chameleon, she was mated 32 days ago and has not yet laid her eggs or even started tunneling.

I put a tub (18cm deep/ 20cm wide and 40cm long) containing play sand into her enclosure on day 20. She has all but stopped eating. I fear she may e egg bound? I know she should have laid at about day 30 - how many more days can i wait before it becomes a serious problem?

She is in an all screen enclosure (80cm height by 65cm width by 40cm deep) with a large living ficus plant and light is provided by a 125w mercury tungston blend bulb.

any advide will be greatly appreciated

Attachments

• DSC00941.JPG
    DSC00941.JPG
    61.8 KB · Views: 218
  • DSC00943.JPG
    DSC00943.JPG
    60.4 KB · Views: 209
  • DSC00947.JPG
    DSC00947.JPG
    61.3 KB · Views: 291
Hi I am a first time breeder and have got a heavily gravid veiled chameleon, she was mated 32 days ago and has not yet laid her eggs or even started tunneling.

I put a tub (18cm deep/ 20cm wide and 40cm long) containing play sand into her enclosure on day 20. She has all but stopped eating. I fear she may e egg bound? I know she should have laid at about day 30 - how many more days can i wait before it becomes a serious problem?

She is in an all screen enclosure (80cm height by 65cm width by 40cm deep) with a large living ficus plant and light is provided by a 125w mercury tungston blend bulb.

any advide will be greatly appreciated

Richard-you should probably start your own thread on this so people do not miss helping you out. What I would do is cover the cage with towels or something so that she has complete privacy. Many females will not lay if they think someone is watching. I safety pin towels all the way around so that the light can still get through the top. Don't peek-I only water my females when I hear them coming to the top. Is she still eating? They usually stop a few days before laying. Your female looks young/small? What is your supplementation schedule like. I am not familiar with the bulb you are using, but does it provide adequate UVB?

Hi Julirs - thanks for the help I will go and give her somemore privacy now. She was 7 months old when I bred her (is this too young?). I have been feeding her gut loaded crickets dusted with a low phosphorus calcium powder daily, but she hasn't eaten for the last 5 days. Is my egg laying site large enough? The mercury vapour blend bulbs are surposed to be full spectrum bulbs with adequete uvb

The pot is use is about 10 inches deep compared to your 7 inches that you are using. She might want a different container. At this point I would give her a good watering and then cover the cage and see if she starts to dig. Many people would consider 7 months a little young, but if she is a big girl than it usually is not an issue.

Hey guys.
Update, shes doing fine I thought I would try feel for eggs again and I did feel them in her.
They felt smooth inside her and I could push it a little bit and it would stick back out.
When will she lay them she hasent given signs yet, Im getting worried.:(
And a question, if a female becomes eggbound does she die or just keep them in her for the rest of her life please someone reply to my questions I realy want to know.

Thanks
Tyrone

Hey,

My female Veiled IS gravid with infertile eggs because she rejected the male and has bulges by her back legs I put her in a egglaying chamber today with sand, vermiculite and potting soil, and it is compresed there is a branch in it with a fake plant, does this sound right?
I put her in this morning and when I got back at 3pm today she still didnt do anything, why? I know shes defenitly gravid (infertile) could you guys help with when I should put her back in and for how long?
Or does anyone know of how I can get her to lay when she needs to.

Thanks

How old is she? If you do suspect she is gravid-and pics would help here-you need to leave her alone except to feed and water her. Put a container in her cage as suggested and cover the sides of her cage so that she cannot see you. If she is gravid you should be feeding her more, there is nothing you can do to alter clutch size at this point. After she lays you should feed her a bit more and then gradually cut back. If she is gravid and she becomes eggbound she will die.

Ok thanks I will, shes not dead so that means she isnt eggbound(thank goodness):D.
She is 1 yr 6 mnths and NEVER laid before, I know, why didnt she do this 6 mnths ago:confused:
She didnt show any receptive or gravid colouration at 1yrs old only about 1 mnth ago.
She couldnt be eggbound from eggs 6 mnths ago cus then she would be dead right?
Do you think she will lay soon???

chmeleonneeds said..."shes not dead so that means she isnt eggbound"...not really. Death is the end result of eggbinding. She will decline in health and eventually die if she is eggbound and nothing is done about it.

Richard...I don't like the look of your chameleon. I think she is in trouble.

Ok bringing back this post,
She still has not laid!!
Acting very normal , eating, ect
So its been about 50 days since she could of started being gravid but hasent laid does this mean shes eggbound or not, Kinyonga if you say it sorta progresses then she dies wouldnt it have happened.
This is so stressful,
what does anyone think about her only have shown receptiveness or being gravid at 1yr 6mnths and now shes 1yr 8mnths and still nothing,
What now???

Back
Top Bottom