Sexing Parsonii

evilalive

My Parsonii has already reached 4 months old and I wonder how old can we really tell the true sex of a Parsonii? Any advise? THX

I should have put this thread at general discussion:eek:, anyway herewith a few snap shot I took a minutes ago, any advise?

DSCF0164.jpg

DSCF0156.jpg

DSCF0160.jpg

Definitely a female. At that size the green body coloration, lack of rostral protuberance growth, etc., are good sexing indicators. At a younger age these can be potentially misleading but at her size, you can tell.

Chris

My first bit of advice would be finding her a large, well ventilated screen enclosure... It looks like you have her in a glass tank.

Mind if i ask where you got her? i know their crazy expensive, but ive been thinking of getting one.

Mind if i ask where you got her? i know their crazy expensive, but ive been thinking of getting one.

You will find them more common in places over seas. They tend be be less expensive in comparison over there, as less hoops have had to be jumped through.

Someone here on the Fourms has Parsonii eggs that should be hatching soon. I read about it last week but can't remember who it was. Do a "wanted" under the Classified section. Jann

I felt I should add... Parsons are a species that should only be considered by well experienced, dedicated keepers. I have kept herps for years, and I still wouldn't consider myself seasoned enough to try my hand at a Parsons. They come with a heavy price tag... and even some controversial politics.

glass tank

@joe: glass enclosures are used successfully all day everyday outside of the US.

i see you have a screen top, and your parsonii is looking well. no resp infect so you are obviously venting the enclosure, mind if i ask how you are going about venting the cage. was it hard to balance turnover and humid?

@joe: glass enclosures are used successfully all day everyday outside of the US.

i see you have a screen top, and your parsonii is looking well. no resp infect so you are obviously venting the enclosure, mind if i ask how you are going about venting the cage. was it hard to balance turnover and humid?

Hey Josh...

I realize this... Just a recommendation... as in if climate permits, haven't sceen cages proven to be optimal? Especially for a large tree top species like Parsons? Looking at the climate trends in Hong Kong (In the '80's and sunny this week) I don't think we are talking about a climate such as the UK or Canada. With as touchy as I have heard Parson's are... I thought this might be a worth thinking about as the cham matures.

yeah i figured you were playing necc evil :)

but if we were just talking me and you, glass would be better then screen because it hold humid so well. its way easier to maintain venting a glass tank, then maintain humid in a screen.

how you been by the way?

most P.parsonii breeding groups that i have seen pics of outside the us use all glass vented

Humm...the hardest part about this thread is the fact that there is so little really known about parsonii. Honestly no one...unless you have been to madagascar has seen a "breeding colony" of parson's. In Europe there are so-called breeders but the fact of the matter is there is little to no information on actually documentation of a successful breeding, laying, and hatch...anywhere...the US (yea Kalish years ago) but that is about it. Now caging is a different story as well as colonies. There is thought that they do better in colonies, as well as mellers, but no hard facts as of now. There is one person, I will leave his name out and if he wants he can say something, that has had a successful laying but to my knowledge they were not in a colony nor were the eggs viable. Also glass cages are more popular in Europe, even with panther chameleons, but screen tend to be more popular here. I have had mine for around a year in screen cages with humidity ranging from 50% to around 100% when the misters go off. I am not claiming to be an expert just sharing information I have learned from my reading and what little, but some, experience with them I have. I hope that helps and if anyone here suppose to have some hatch soon, I would love to hear about it and their husbandry.

Hope that helps a little.

Chris

Well, Having never kept Parsons, I would be speaking not from experience, but just applying common knowledge of keeping most old world species. I would be interested to hear from anyone who actually keep Parsons what they would recommend, and what has worked for them. Their tesimony would hold a lot more water than a guy like myself who has only dreamed of the day I may be able to own one.

I have thought about the reasons a person might use a glass tank, Or why would I ever use one. And I still come to these thoughts... The Humidity in my house is borderline Nothing... Very Dry. In my Cham room, in my screen cages I am able to maintain the humidity in the 70-80's with no trouble by mainting a solid misting regiment. Even with temps. I couldn't see any house being cold enough that a basking light could not create the appropriate temp ranges. While a glass cage may make it easier to maintain these levels in some situations/locations... I have a hard time thinking of any house in the country that I have been in where a screen enclosure would be out of the question. It sounds like more work and maintenace also.

Just my thoughts.

EDIT: I just saw Chris added some experience in this for us. Having seen pics from the wild of them high in the branches that sway in the breeze... I imagine it would be hard to reproduce that in glass... maybe not?

Back
Top Bottom