Self collected climbing vines. Are these OK?

Molly1443

Member
Hi,
As I was removing Virginia creeper (Parthenocissus sp.) from my lilac tree in my backyard, I ended up with some long woody vines that I thought would be a nice addition to my enclosures.

I left it to dry for couple of days, then I cut it to fit in the tub. I soaked them in a mix of hot water and iodine solution. It sat for 30 mins, then I scrubbed each pieces with a brush, then rinced it. Now, my question is, do you think it’s safe to put some in the enclosure? I know for sure it is Parthenocissus quinquefolia, but I read that for some people, it could cause a small rash or something... nothing serious, but I wanted to have some cham keepers opinions and advises. Heres some pictures. Thanks :)
239471
239472
 

nightanole

Chameleon Enthusiast
You do a lot more than me. I just bleach water, and bake in the oven and call it a day. If people just "discovered" the "potho plant" they would never let it near a cham.

As far as i know, only creeper berries are bad, and if you are dumb enough to rub the leaves on you enough, the oxalic acid will cause mild irritation. But consider that pothos have the same anti bug oxalic acid and chams EAT the leaves just fine, id say you are fine, since i dont even think its in the woody part, only the green part.
 

Molly1443

Member
You do a lot more than me. I just bleach water, and bake in the oven and call it a day. If people just "discovered" the "potho plant" they would never let it near a cham.

As far as i know, only creeper berries are bad, and if you are dumb enough to rub the leaves on you enough, the oxalic acid will cause mild irritation. But consider that pothos have the same anti bug oxalic acid and chams EAT the leaves just fine, id say you are fine, since i dont even think its in the woody part, only the green part.
Thanks!
I thought about baking too but the thing is, it never fits in the oven... I dont even know how to do it lol!
 

nightanole

Chameleon Enthusiast
Thanks!
I thought about baking too but the thing is, it never fits in the oven... I dont even know how to do it lol!
The baking is more to kill and hitch hikers like mites etc. How do you know there is not an entire family of earwigs in the bark?

But like i said, sometimes i will just grab good sized branches from the neighbors downed trees, bleach them and pop them in the cages. I dont have bioactive so i dont care if i get a few bugs.
 

Molly1443

Member
The baking is more to kill and hitch hikers like mites etc. How do you know there is not an entire family of earwigs in the bark?

But like i said, sometimes i will just grab good sized branches from the neighbors downed trees, bleach them and pop them in the cages. I dont have bioactive so i dont care if i get a few bugs.
Do you think what I did would have killed mites? :unsure:
 

nightanole

Chameleon Enthusiast
Do you think what I did would have killed mites? :unsure:
I have never used iodine to clean. Most mites die from soapy water and bleach. I bet even a salt water spray would work. They are not hard to kill, just hard to kill without killing the plant, but we dont care about that at this point.
 

Beman

Chameleon Enthusiast
These look super cool! I would think iodine would kill anything off. I am not sure though.
 

cyberlocc

Chameleon Enthusiast
Bathtub, filled with 5% bleach 95% tap water. Soak overnight, then throughly dry and rinse with RO and call it a party :).
 
Top Bottom