Screened vs Terrarium

danielwilu0818

I know that screened cages are best. However, I've been hearing a lot that terrariums are really good for babies. Is this true? Can a terrarium change a way a chameleon behaves? What are the pros and cons for raising baby chams in screened and terrarium cages?

-Daniel

It depends on where you live, whether you have air conditioning it not, how dry it is, etc.

What I first kept chameleon's over 25 years ago I kept them in aquariums with screen lids...then switched to glass cages with screen lids and doors and finally to the glass cages with ventilation in the front and screen lids.
Living in southern Ontario, the screen cages in winter were too hard to keep warm and humid enough. The aquariums required lighting to be positioned properly to create a chimney effect and careful management of stagnant water. The ventilated front cages also required proper light placement and care concerning stagnant water.

If you live in a different climate you may find all screen cages are best. IMHO you have to try things and do what works best.

IMHO, I prefer screen cages as I can make them larger less expensively than glass. It is easier to modify a screen cage to hold in more heat and moisture than it is to make a glass terrarium more "open" if it becomes necessary. You can always add plexiglass or sheet plastic panels to a screen cage to keep it warmer or more humid, but its a lot more challenging to ventilate a glass cage.

IMHO, I prefer screen cages as I can make them larger less expensively than glass. It is easier to modify a screen cage to hold in more heat and moisture than it is to make a glass terrarium more "open" if it becomes necessary. You can always add plexiglass or sheet plastic panels to a screen cage to keep it warmer or more humid, but its a lot more challenging to ventilate a glass cage.

This

Thanks for the info guys!

Back
Top Bottom