Scabby head and its coming off, please help

Ok, so I’m still not sure what a T5HO is but, the current white bulb is a reptibreeze. I do have a replacement bulb called Vivosun. Photo attached.

the red heating bulb looks like the culprit for the burn. Temp very hot. The temp under the white bulb is about 85 on the basking branch.

would the heat from that white reptibreeze bulb serve both purposes of basking and uvb support? Can I just not use the red bulb?
So take out the red bulbs, and just use that white one.

buy this temp gun so you can measure the temps all over the cage. Wow the price of
These went up

Etekcity Infrared Thermometer 774 (Not for Human) Temperature Gun Non-Contact Digital Laser Thermometer-58℉ to 716℉ (-50 to 380℃), Standard Size, Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00837ZGRY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fabc_dlC_aobQFbCFFZFRJ?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

A T5ho is one of these lights, you need it for uvb so your chameleon doesn’t get mbd. Your going to want to have a 5.0 bulb inside and replace it ever 6 months to a year. Make sure the bulb is two inches smaller then the hood you buy. So if the hood is 24” buy a 22” bulb

Sunblaster 904296 NanoTech T5 High Output Fixture Reflector Combo, 2-Feet https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AKKUBDQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fabc_TqbQFbMVHWZ6K

I will give you the link to the t5 bulb. Red bulbs are not good for Chameleons. Heat bulbs do not provide uvb. The heat bulb you have is a 125 W. This is super hot, and will go past the 85 F max basking temperature

That’s good feedback, I’m not currently using the vivosun as it was purchased as a replacement and we don’t need it yet. Right now the main bulb is the reptibreeze one that came from the pet store when the chameleon was purchased.

do we actually need a second bulb if the reptibreeze one creates a basking temp of 85 and acts as the uvb?

That’s good feedback, I’m not currently using the vivosun as it was purchased as a replacement and we don’t need it yet. Right now the main bulb is the reptibreeze one that came from the pet store when the chameleon was purchased.

do we actually need a second bulb if the reptibreeze one creates a basking temp of 85 and acts as the uvb?
Yup, you do. You need the linear/long T5 fixture with a 5.0 or 6% uvb bulb and a second dome type fixture for basking, in which you put about a 60w incandescent light bulb.

Can you tell me if the one your referring to is like either of the ones below? Because if it is a compact bulb like these then no you can not use it because it does not put out enough uvb. You have to have the T5HO fixture and the appropriate bulb with the correct distance for that fixture and bulb strength then a separate regular incandescent bulb for heat.

Screen Shot 2020-11-08 at 8.19.32 AM.png Screen Shot 2020-11-08 at 8.19.24 AM.png

Update: I’ve made sure to keep the injured area dry. I’ve done a clean of the cage to make it as hygienic possible. 50/50 water vinegar followed by a hot water rinse.

I’ve replaced the red bulb with an incandescent one andam checking the temperature range.

the reptibreeze bulb doesn’t look like the ones that were shown earlier in the thread.

there is a two bulb zoo med fixture that the uvb bulb is in.

the injury has had Manuka honey put on and I will call the vet tomorrow.

from a learning perspective, why does a basking bulb need to be different from the uvb bulb?
T5 by Repti Sun for uvb (sometimes includes the 5.0 bulb)

View attachment 282042
Dome fixture for basking
View attachment 282043
we have that dome. I’ve removed the red bulb and have replaced with a 50 watt incandescent (only wattage I can find today in the local stores)

Can you tell me if the one your referring to is like either of the ones below? Because if it is a compact bulb like these then no you can not use it because it does not put out enough uvb. You have to have the T5HO fixture and the appropriate bulb with the correct distance for that fixture and bulb strength then a separate regular incandescent bulb for heat.

View attachment 282040View attachment 282041
No it’s not either of those. It’s a bigger bulbous looking bulb if that makes sense. I’ve Been trying to find the box but I can’t. I can confirm that it is the bulb recommended by the pet store. Bit I feel that the red bulb we were using was the culprit for the burn.

No it’s not either of those. It’s a bigger bulbous looking bulb if that makes sense. I’ve Been trying to find the box but I can’t. I can confirm that it is the bulb recommended by the pet store. Bit I feel that the red bulb we were using was the culprit for the burn.
So there are 2 in 1 bulbs that look like standard basking bulbs. This is the issue. so on the bulb near where it screws in it should have printed on it exactly what it is. The reason why I keep coming back to this is because if it is a 2 in1 bulb your back to a very high UVI output which is dangerous along with high heat temps.

Back
Top Bottom