Sand in enclosure for female Veiled Chameleon?

kiljay

Hi all,
Im just wondering if you need to have a sand pit in the enclosure for a female Veiled, even if im not mating her?

Yes, she will still lay infertle clutches reguardless of a male. You can limit her feeding and she might not produce but sand is a good idea to prevent eggbound.

While I do advise all newbies to keep a laying bin in their female cham cages. She shouldnt need one til at least 5-6 months old. I'd err on the side of caution since you dont have much exp and get one in there by her 5 month hatch date.

I would advise against sand and recommend plain soil with no additives, prefrably sifted to remove larger organic and inorganic debris such as small stones and sticks/bark.
Sand is a fatality waiting to happen.

https://www.chameleonforums.com/opinions-please-51882/

Well, to make this long story short, she expired today, and I couldn't help but be curious as to how many eggs she was carrying. She had 40 eggs, but the most dissmaying thing was that her entire last 2-3 inches of intestine was packed hard as a rock with compacted sand. It was as big around as my pinky finger. It appeared to have prevented her from comfortably passing her eggs. I felt awful.

:(

Last edited:
I use a 60/40 Sand, organic soil mixture. The sand helps keep the soil from becoming a muddy mess from misting. But I dont have a problem with dirt eatters.

Back
Top Bottom