Sakrete Play Sand???

CJ's Exotics

Chameleon Enthusiast
Hello! I bought some play sand to use to make my substrate mixes, and the Sakrete Play Sand had a label saying that is contains crystalline silica. Is this safe to use?

I would not use it. crystalline silica is the byproduct of using real sand for industrial purposes. Its basically ultra find ground sand dust. Its pretty nasty and has osha regulations when using it. Odds are Bought cheap sand that was "recycled" from a plant that used the sand for molds etc.

It would be fine to use the sand outside, since there would be no build up, but indoors its pretty nasty when dry as an inhalation hazard. And since our little ones are prone to URI's...

I would not use it. crystalline silica is the byproduct of using real sand for industrial purposes. Its basically ultra find ground sand dust. Its pretty nasty and has osha regulations when using it. Odds are Bought cheap sand that was "recycled" from a plant that used the sand for molds etc.

It would be fine to use the sand outside, since there would be no build up, but indoors its pretty nasty when dry as an inhalation hazard. And since our little ones are prone to URI's...
Thank you. Now to remove the substrate from some of my tanks, I can't believe I didn't notice that.

I'm not familiar with the brand, but everyone seems to use regular child safe play sand. It helps to rinse it, but personally I didn't bother since I mixed it with moist soil and then watered it.

I'm not familiar with the brand, but everyone seems to use regular child safe play sand. It helps to rinse it, but personally I didn't bother since I mixed it with moist soil and then watered it.
That's what I bought, play sand for sand boxes, but it has cristalline silica, which can apparently cause lung problems that I don't really want to go into.

Back
Top Bottom