safe to ship a chameleon?

rayman

So i found this site, flchams, im sure you all know about it but after the recent death of the baby petstore chameleon i want a healthy one from a good breeder. sadly there are no breeders anywhere near me. is it safe to get a chameleon shipped from FL to NY overnight? there are no breeders in my area and i want a juvinile veiled which seem to be harder to find than adults or babies. and with how fragile they are, are they ok being shipped and thrown around by people that have no clue that a cute little chameleon is inside the box they just dropped?

i hope somebody could shed some light on this subject for me i just cant handle receiving another one that is in poor health. thanks for reading!

Yes, shipping chams is safe when you go through a reputable breeder who knows what they're doing and how to ship.

Yea definitely, they've been doing this forever. They know how to ship with heat packs to keep the animals warm overnight and how to label a box in the correct manner to help keep it safe. By law you have to warn someone on the box that there is a harmless live lizard inside, so the shippers will know there's a live animal in there.

this is good to hear, if you guys have any other suggestions i would be more than happy to check them out. there seems to be a ton of sponsors selling chameleons

LLL Reptile (forum sponsor) shipped chams to me in NY last week from California. Very professionally packed with styrofoam sheets lining the box, heat packs and cushioning material in with the chams.
I'd deal with them again in a heartbeat.
Be aware that even the forum sponsors have restrictions on their guarantees based on the low and high temperatures of your area.
Sterilize your cage and its furnishings before you put a new cham in there in case parasites or communicable disease caused his death.
Far easier to prevent problems than to cure them.

i got my panther from chameleonsonly.com in june. they shipped it from cali to hear in ny. i was also nervous about this but had no problems.they are also sponsers of this site and have great reviews. good luck and keep asking questions. the members here seem to know what they are talking about and are happy to help.

wow thanks a ton guys i appreciate it. i actually returned all the supplies and bought new/better things. including a full mesh cage, coconut moss stuff for the floor, a dripper that is not horrible like the "little dripper" and some new/better lights so he should be very comfortable. i hope flchams packs with styrofoam/padding/heatpacks. ill be here when he arrives hopefully and will get overnight ofcoarse. but i will check those sites out aswell! i have tons of questions and hopefully soon i will also be able to spread the knowledge on and help others :) i will update all those who helped on the status of the new arrival. and im pretty sure everything would be better than the pet store.

I read your earlier posts and would hope that anything would be better than your awful pet store experience.
Just make sure your setup is already up and running (basking temperature right, washed and rinsed plants, etc.) and mist the enclosure thoroughly before he goes in it and as soon as he is in it, since shipping them usually leaves them somewhat dehydrated.
FWIW, a misting system, such as Mistking makes misting much easier.

Back
Top Bottom