Reminder of the importance of CORRECT supplements.

Camiezone

Avid Member
Received just heartbreaking update yesterday from a 1st time caretaker of one of Homer's babies. Baby only made it less than 1 year.
The internet, petstores, peers etc may mean well, however way too often end up given incorrect information and advise that can have life ending consequences.

It is so crucial to never stop researching and studying to provide the absolute best conditions, especially for chameleons. They rely 100% on our knowledge.
As a breeder, I include care sheets with each chameleon, and am more than happy to send to anyone if needed. These pages are the Bible for happy healthy chameleons, information I've gathered up all over the place from the most trusted sources like Bill Strand @ chameleon academy, Peter Necas, numerous member here on the forum, Dr. Greek, Jonathan @Iparadalis, Olivia @ muchadoaboutchameleons.com n more.
Never just take advise from from one person or a petstore. You must see the same suggestion coming from several sources before trusting it.
In this poor baby's case, the new care taker, was assuming his supplement schedule was OK, but it wasn't. Same goes for the manufactures. High quality is an absolute must.
Nothing about chameleons is cheap and "jumping over the fence where it's lowest" mentality will not have a good outcome.
Chameleons are masters at pretending they are doing good and when they finally show you they aren't feeling good, it's most of the time, will be too late.
We are all striving towards the absolute best husbandry and healthy chameleons, it's challenging, but possible, but engaging and researching is necessary.
I hope no one is offended over this long message, but this baby could maybe have been saved and others outthere as well.
NEVER ASSUME YOU GOT IT.
Camilla @ camiezone

Oh no...poor baby. I’m sorry that happened. 😢 It sounds like you do everything you can to prevent things like that, but we humans are unpredictable and can be unreliable at times. We can be given the same exact information from 5 different sources, but will believe the 1 sketchy source if it saves us time, money or effort.
This is very true. Sad and true.

@Camiezone I am heartbroken for you. I know how much love your poor into your babies and sending them off to their forever homes must such a leap of faith. Sending you a virtual hug. 💗💗💗

The baby's care taker truly in all other areas, did a great job caring for the little beautiful boy, but since it was first time having this responsibility, it can get overwhelming. He was so good at sending me monthly update pictures, but this months was very worrisome, due to having completely changed his colors and having closed sunken eyes. We spoke immediately afterwards and went thru his setup n food, which is when I was informed that he only lightly dusts w calcium w d on crickets. This was Saturday evening, Sunday morning he had passed away. So sad. He was such a beautiful and sweet little treasure, probably one the most beautiful chameleons I have ever seen. Caretaker is feeling so awful and of course upset at himself for failing him.

Back
Top Bottom