Rudis chameleon? (Trioceros sternfeldi)

Zoomin

Hey! I am thinking about getting a rudis chameleon in the future, but don't worry I won't get a chameleon until I research a lot more and save up some money. Would you say that a rudis (captive bred) would be a good cham for a beginner? I've read that they're care is almost identical to other montanes like jacksons and quads. I've been over this forum for any mention of rudis chameleons, but does anyone have resources outside of this site? And if you have any experience with this species please share your thoughts and any pics in this thread.

Many years ago I had some rudis...1.2
They were WC and I enjoyed them but the females never reproduced.
I did keep them like my merus.

Hmm, makes sense. Actually I don’t even know if I’ll ever get a chameleon. I was thinking of maybe getting one from VooDoo chameleons.

Hey! I am thinking about getting a rudis chameleon in the future, but don't worry I won't get a chameleon until I research a lot more and save up some money. Would you say that a rudis (captive bred) would be a good cham for a beginner? I've read that they're care is almost identical to other montanes like jacksons and quads. I've been over this forum for any mention of rudis chameleons, but does anyone have resources outside of this site? And if you have any experience with this species please share your thoughts and any pics in this thread.
never heard of it, but maybe start with a veiled or panther? i’m relatively new, so don’t put much weight into my opinion ?

I guess my real question was: are rudis chameleons very delicate? Are they significantly harder than the "big three"? Not trying to ignore all the advice, but just wanted a straight answer. So far on the internet I've heard that they are very hardy, or that they are very difficult.

I guess my real question was: are rudis chameleons very delicate? Are they significantly harder than the "big three"? Not trying to ignore all the advice, but just wanted a straight answer. So far on the internet I've heard that they are very hardy, or that they are very difficult.
Like Kinyo said they are probably around the same level of difficulty as a jacksons chameleons. The real issue here though is that it isn't exactly a chameleon type most people have, so if you ever run into an issue it's gonna be pretty difficult to get any help.

Another thing to keep in mind is that these little guys are a chameleon species that don't like being handled much. I looked em up a bit(well with what little info there is on them) and apparently just handling can get em really stressed to the point that they go on hunger strikes. Also another big thing is that these guys don't seem to be CB available, at least from the places I've seen. So if you get a WC rudis then be prepared to possibly get one with parasites and/or a pregnant female.

I'm not saying to not get one, but just know all the risks. If you want this chameleon because its small and you don't like the more popular species then maybe look into a carpet chameleon. They aren't as obscure.They're also smallish(10-15inches) and look like a more colorful rudis most of the time. There are also CB ones available on FLcham.

Like Kinyo said they are probably around the same level of difficulty as a jacksons chameleons. The real issue here though is that it isn't exactly a chameleon type most people have, so if you ever run into an issue it's gonna be pretty difficult to get any help.

Another thing to keep in mind is that these little guys are a chameleon species that don't like being handled much. I looked em up a bit(well with what little info there is on them) and apparently just handling can get em really stressed to the point that they go on hunger strikes. Also another big thing is that these guys don't seem to be CB available, at least from the places I've seen. So if you get a WC rudis then be prepared to possibly get one with parasites and/or a pregnant female.

I'm not saying to not get one, but just know all the risks. If you want this chameleon because its small and you don't like the more popular species then maybe look into a carpet chameleon. They aren't as obscure.They're also smallish(10-15inches) and look like a more colorful rudis most of the time. There are also CB ones available on FLcham.
Thanks, this was pretty helpful. As for the handling, I understood these were more of a “look, don’t touch pet, “ but never knew that they are so very prone to stress! If you don’t mind me asking, where did you find that they can be so stressed by handling that they could possibly even go on a hunger strike? I am not disagreeing just wanted to know where you found this info ?. https://www.voodoochameleon.com/ is where I was thinking of getting a rudis, they have captive bred but I am not sure if they are still available. I appreciate your feedback.

Thanks, this was pretty helpful. As for the handling, I understood these were more of a “look, don’t touch pet, “ but never knew that they are so very prone to stress! If you don’t mind me asking, where did you find that they can be so stressed by handling that they could possibly even go on a hunger strike? I am not disagreeing just wanted to know where you found this info ?. https://www.voodoochameleon.com/ is where I was thinking of getting a rudis, they have captive bred but I am not sure if they are still available. I appreciate your feedback.
On here https://www.lllreptile.com/articles/177-rudis-chameleons/ I'm surprised to see a rudis caresheet on LLL of all places lol. If you don't plan to handle it much that won't be an issue then. It's just that most people like handling their chameleons, so ai thought it was worth bringing up. If you can get a CB rudis that'd be best tho and since they are captive bred you could ask the seller any questions you end up having about them

Hey guys I’m sorry about me asking about just basic questions about these Chams. But I just can’t find a ton of info. The thing I’m most confused on is the night temperature. Do rudis need temp drops into the 50s/40s? Or is low 60s okay? I’ve been reading through a lot of contradictory information.

Back
Top Bottom