rubbing eyes

jfouch34

I just bought a chameleon 4 weeks ago she has been doing good until I noticed her rubbing her left eye the last 2 days she isnt dehydrated shes eating and drinking good her humidity is around 78 percent and heat is around 85 degrees eye doesnt look Infected or anything she shed about a week and half ago and I cant get the rest of her skin to come off but all of her skin is off her eyes

Attachments

• 20190325_095650.jpg
    20190325_095650.jpg
    176.3 KB · Views: 168
  • 20190325_095700.jpg
    20190325_095700.jpg
    192.8 KB · Views: 185
Please fill this out so we can help you better. She does not look well at all.

Please Note:

1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.
Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

I just bought a chameleon 4 weeks ago she has been doing good until I noticed her rubbing her left eye the last 2 days she isnt dehydrated shes eating and drinking good her humidity is around 78 percent and heat is around 85 degrees eye doesnt look Infected or anything she shed about a week and half ago and I cant get the rest of her skin to come off but all of her skin is off her eyes
Maybe she still have a piece shed skin particle stuck in her eyes....and with the picture showing...u will have to heavily mist your cham to get those shed skin off completely do not try to peel them off yourself...lukewarm water prefer since they dislke the cold water in majority.

herea pictures of her cage I'm unsure of her age I've only had her 4 weeks dont know much about her. shes in a screen cage box size said medium no live plants I mist her few times daily. I have Seen her drinking water and I've seen her eating her I seen a lot of white droppings around her inclosure idk what color their poop is supposed to be. I use misting and a humidifier to keep her humidity up I'm using the light bulbs that came with the kit I bought and also using a red basking bulb 75w. I use repticalcium without d3 is what container says

Attachments

• 15535365609598214130433562960455.jpg
    15535365609598214130433562960455.jpg
    206.2 KB · Views: 132
  • 15535365811456246079059331314913.jpg
    15535365811456246079059331314913.jpg
    426.6 KB · Views: 140
herea pictures of her cage I'm unsure of her age I've only had her 4 weeks dont know much about her. shes in a screen cage box size said medium no live plants I mist her few times daily. I have Seen her drinking water and I've seen her eating her I seen a lot of white droppings around her inclosure idk what color their poop is supposed to be. I use misting and a humidifier to keep her humidity up I'm using the light bulbs that came with the kit I bought and also using a red basking bulb 75w. I use repticalcium without d3 is what container says
Replace the red basking bulb to the regular color white.
Regarding the poop color u can study in this link
https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/chameleon-poop-101.120171/

I have the white and uv bulb hanging above her cage but I use the red bulb to help keep it warm in there. shouldn't I not use the red at all

I have the white and uv bulb hanging above her cage but I use the red bulb to help keep it warm in there. shouldn't I not use the red at all
Yes thats correct ....u are trying to mimicking the natural sun color , u dont really need red at all.

Fill out the help form that Beman pasted. Post it below. The link to the form is in my signature.

We need to know how often you are misting the cage... There are a few things that are not appropriate with this set up.

Red light can be swapped for a normal incandescent house bulb for heat. Start with a 65w bulb and measure the basking temperature and adjust the light height or branch level to get the proper basking temp.

Honestly those chameleon kits are the worst. Very misleading when it comes to getting a chameleon enclosure set up.

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - veiled chameleon, female, age unknown. How long has it been in your care? 4 weeks
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? daily for about 15 minutes as she doesnt really like being handled
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? SMALL CRICKETS What amount 6-10 DAILY What is the schedule? I FEED HER DAILY How are you gut-loading your feeders? FRUIT
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? REPTICALCIUM WITHOUT D3 DAILY
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? MISTING AND HUMIDIFIER How often and how long to you mist? 4 TO 5 TIMES DAILY Do you see your chameleon drinking? YES
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. UNSURE OF POOP DROPPINGS ALL I SEE ARE WHITE SPOTS ALL OVER THE CAGE
  • Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? NO SHE HASNT NOT SINCE BEEN IN MY CARE
  • History - BOUGHT AT A PETSUPPLIES PLUS UNSURE OF HER HISTORY

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? SCREEN CAGE
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? using uv bulb and white normal bulb unsure of watts came with my chameleon cage kit
  • Temperature - 75-85 , overnight is 65 thermometer and hydrometer
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? humidifier and misting it stays between 60-80 %
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? none
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? on a table about 2 ft off ground. Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? no At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? about 4.5 ft
  • Location - Where are you geographically located? ky

Current Problem - she keeps her left eye closed and rubbing it last 2 days

Maybe she still have a piece shed skin particle stuck in her eyes....and with the picture showing...u will have to heavily mist your cham to get those shed skin off completely do not try to peel them off yourself...lukewarm water prefer since they dislke the cold water in majority.
Chams are dry shedders. Do not spray your Cham to remove shed skin. If your having shed issues it is a early warning sign that she is not getting the correct supplements and nutrients.

https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/caresheets/veiled/

Read through the caresheet found in the link I posted here.

Your supplement schedule needs adjusting. You need to add a calcium with D3 and a multivitamin. Both should be used twice per month along side the plain calcium NO D3 daily.

How long are your misting sessions? You need to mist atleast 3-5 minutes each time. This give the chameleon time to be stimulated to drink AND clean their eyes.

Which brings me to the possible cause which is that there might be something stuck in the eye.

Adjust your gutloads for the feeders as well. This will help the shedding. There is a list a proper gutload items found here: https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/food/

Chams are dry shedders. Do not spray your Cham to remove shed skin. If your having shed issues it is a early warning sign that she is not getting the correct supplements and nutrients.
In his case with that eye being shut .he will needs mist and shower . especially on the shutting eye.

Also in addition... if you are using the screw in compact bulb this needs to be switched out asap. To a T5HO linear fixture and either a 10.0 UVB bulb for it or a 12% arcadia bulb. The compact bulbs are useless. When you say hanging above her cage for her lighting what do you mean by this? She just needs the heat bulb (not a red one) and a linear fixture for UVB needs to be placed right on the cage top.

In his case with that eye being shut .he will needs mist and shower . especially on the shutting eye.
Yes but that’s not what you said. You specifically said to heavily mist for the stuck shed.
u will have to heavily mist your cham to get those shed skin off completely do not try to peel them off yourself...lukewarm water prefer since they dislke the cold water in majority.

Yes but that’s not what you said. You specifically said to heavily mist for the stuck shed.
U might not know that Im not that good at typing sometime( with all these Q and A in the forum , time os limited)...cut me some slack countryboy...."shower is non stop misting" heavy mist is whats on my mind with that eye.
Are we going to debate on this one for god sake??

Back
Top Bottom