Rough Green Snake

grantman40

ok, i have been wanting a snake for a while and i have become very attracted to the rough green snakes. but i am stumped because i cant really find any good care sheets or info on them. it says they like to climb and are arborial but does that mean thjey can go in a chameleon cage. I cant find any examples of a rough green snake cage on the internet and i can only find some very few care sheets that arent really the greatest. Can anyone help?

I used to keep tons of these when i was too young to know that it was illegal to keep them in my state. A pot of pothos or tons of fake vines work well for these little buggers. I had a basking spot of 88 degrees in one corner and left fluorescents on for 10 hours a day for the plants. The ambient temps stayed around 78 degrees with a night time drop to 70. They do well in groups, but your gonna have to be watchful during eating since these little guys are real hogs when it comes to dinner. I had to start mine on grasshoppers and caterpillars. After some coaxing I got them all to feed on just crickets which made winter time feeding simple. For watering I kept three water dishes at different areas, and levels in the terrarium. I also misted a couple of times a week, but that was really more for the benefit of my plants then the snakes themselves. Overall they do make great first time snakes, and you can really build an elaborate vivarium that anybody would love to sit an watch.

cool, thank you. how often do they need too be fed? i know that some snakes only need to be fed once a week but does that go for these too? id appreciate any input

they actually need to be fed every other day to every three days depending on how many they will eat. I had a few babies that would eat one prey item daily, and I had a larger female that would eat 5 to 7 crickets every four days. It all depends on the snake, and its overall eating habits. Think of them more like a lizard then a snake. They tend to have the same metabolism as the green anoles that live around my house. If you need anymore info. please feel free to PM or email me.

I caught one as a kid. Found it with some friends in a bush near some railroad tracks. When i went to my petshop to ask how to care for it they had me put in a 10gal tank and feed it guppies and goldfish out of a dish. That poor snake had no interest in fish and he ended up dying a month or so later. This was about 15 years ago, I think theres some better info out there then what I was told. Good luck on your quest!

Back
Top Bottom