Romulus; second cham gone in as little as a few months.

Bush baby

Avid Member
Just over 2 months ago i lost my 5 month old Jackson, Icarus. He escaped from a cage i had for him outside, set up solely for the purpose of getting him some natural sunlight.

I purchased another Jackson about a month later; Romulus; had him outside today, and right before my eyes a mockingbird swooped in and snatched him up. I am both stunned and heart broken. It flew off before i could even react. He was basking comfortably right on a branch in my backyard less than 15 feet away from me. I didn't have him in a cage because i found several areas where my other cham Icarus had escaped from within the cage, so thought it best that i just let him sit on a branch and watch him. I'm shocked at how brazen the bird was.

I really need to re-think whether i should have them outside at all after these two episode. The risks seem to out weight the benefits.:(

That is terrible, very sorry about your loss. I'm amazed at how many posts I've seen on here about this happening. Now I'm even more paranoid about it.

It is amazing that birds are willing to get so close to people to take a cham.

I'm so sorry for your loss. I'm glad you posted this though. I didn't realize this was such a big problem! I might also have to rethink having my chams outside :( I'm not sure if you will be wanting another cham soon or your location, but I have a female Jackson that I'm trying to find a home for. Shoot me a message if you want to know more.

Birds take small dogs puppies etc....the stories go on and on about Poms, chis yorkies. I made my outside cage of wood and hardware cloth to protect mine. But my Cham fell off my husbands head and landed on my sleeping pit bull. This old lady slid into home and scooped him up before the dog was fully wake! I'm so sorry but don't blame yourself... Sh t happens and we can't know everything

A hawk tried to take my cat once but he's a main coon so he was way too fat for the hawk. Had to go to the vet for puncture wounds though. My papa built me a great outdoor cage consisting of a wood frame and back wall, screened sides front and top and two tubs in the bottom to put plants in. Keeps the chams in and the birds out!

Oh no!!! I am so sorry to hear that. Thats terrible!! :(

I use small cages to take my guys outside.
I put them in the cage while still inside the house, then move them outside.
I used to let Noogie (my jax) run around in the grass in my back yard, but quit doing that because of the birds.

Those big black birds are not the least bit afraid of me, and will practily snatch food from my hand, if I am still enough.

They are very brazen!!

Thanks for the thoughts guys. I'm still in shocked. I'm going to wait a few weeks before getting yet another cham. It's funny how once you get a chameleon as a pet, being without one feels as though a piece of yourself is missing..:(

Anyhow, i'm going to get a small Repti-breeze cage so i can safely put them outside from now on. The outside cage i had before, was a home made one and had a few holes in it.

I'm so sorry for your loss. I'm glad you posted this though. I didn't realize this was such a big problem! I might also have to rethink having my chams outside :( I'm not sure if you will be wanting another cham soon or your location, but I have a female Jackson that I'm trying to find a home for. Shoot me a message if you want to know more.

Thanks for the offer. In a couple of weeks i'm going to get another male.

Thanks for the thoughts guys. I'm still in shocked. I'm going to wait a few weeks before getting yet another cham. It's funny how once you get a chameleon as a pet, being without one feels as though a piece of yourself is missing..:(

Anyhow, i'm going to get a small Repti-breeze cage so i can safely put them outside from now on. The outside cage i had before, was a home made one and had a few holes in it.

Thats what I use, those small reptibreeze cages.
Found a few used ones on ebay and only paid a few bucks each for them.

So sorry for your loss. I just commented on another thread about a hawk swooping down at one of my chameleons and me batting it out of the air. I was sitting within a foot of a little tree he was perched on. We all learn lessons and some of them are hard ones unfortunately. Make sure your cage is weighted down well or attach it to something. You have to think of a bad wind blowing it over. I have seen that happen on here too.

So sorry for your lose. I won't even let my cham run around on my hand out side cuz I'm to scared a bird will snatch him. I got a lot of blue jays, red Robbins and mocking birds all in my area.

That's horrible, and amazing at the same time. I am very sorry about that. I hope your next chameleon will be very happy and safe this time.

I take my jackson chameleon, Tricky outside almost every day. Today is the 102nd day that he has been in my care. 6 months old! :) :D

WHen I take him out, I never set him alone unsupervised. And I never let go of him. He is always on my hand or shoulder. So even if a bird was brave enough to fly straight to him, it would have to deal with me first!

predetors

Don't think your chams are safe in a screened cage outside. I had a cat tear up a cage to take my little bird. If something wants them, they will get them. ReptiBreeze can be torn up by a large bird, cat/dog. Anything can swoop in.

I am so sorry for your loss. Please do rethink placing your pets outside without watching them.:(

Thanks for the offer. In a couple of weeks i'm going to get another male.

Better work on shoring up the escape routes in the outside enclosure first, before anymore outside time. I had a single Mocking bird wipe out a bee colony this last winter. So I know they can put away alot of food.

Back
Top Bottom