Roaches illegal to sell?

I recently contacted USDA to see if I needed permits to sell dubia on a larger scale. Apparently, they consider it illegal.

Can anyone prove different, or comments?

"Response Via Email (USDA/APHIS) 01/29/2013 01:40 PM
Thank you for writing to USDA's "Ask the Expert." USDA--specifically the Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS), which regulates the importation of certain insects that could present a risk to U.S. agriculture and the environment--considers the Blaptica dubia cockroach to be an invasive species. Accordingly, we are concerned that this species has the potential to become established in certain areas of the country and cause damage to our agricultural and natural resources. Although the species continues to be illegally imported and made illegally available for sale, please know that USDA does not and will not issue any permits for its possession or distribution. We request your cooperation to not in any way increase the distribution of this pest."

I would assume if it was truly illegal, they would have shut done the dozens of bigger companies who sell them. They ARE illegal in Florida. Not just shipping to and out of florida, but to keep them is illegal there. Supposedly Tennessee is also on that list, but that I am unsure of.

That's what my thought was as well, but this is from USDA themselves, I contacted them looking to see if permits were needed, if any. Considering I see tons of people sell them all the time, I figured it was fairly easy.

I think this line "Although the species continues to be illegally imported and made illegally available for sale" is talking about how its widely sold.

Does anyone know any information on this?

I can also add. When I first started selling them over 2 years ago, I contacted USPS to make sure they were on the list of insects you could ship. Regular house roaches and a few other species were NOT allowed to me mailed, but blaptica dubia were allowed.

The people at the post office also know me and what I sell, so if there was a change in that regard, I wouldn't think they'd allow me to ship.

I wouldn't worry about selling them, there are no required permits either.

I cant move fire wood down the street...

Feels sorry for the roachcrossing.com guy :p

Might want to ask him about the rules, he should be up to date and is very active on the above 4 legs forums.

The USPS may take and ship the package however they are illegal to ship. I've talked quite a bit with both people in charge of issuing permits for these and they confirmed this on many times. They said they have no plans to approve them. The many reason is they don't know enough about their habits such as crop pests to any other impact they would have.

I asked how do I go about getting research done on this and was told it would be to costly and time consuming. Even then if they did get USDA approved the states still have the choice to decline them. When I was getting permits for a few different cricket species. One of the species had only been approved by 44 states. I could see many states choosing to still outlaw them even if USDA finally approved them.

Again yes they are illegal to ship. But honestly I don't see any crack down on the shipments anytime soon. Simply put they have much bigger problems to worry about.

However perhaps if you could supply them with enough info on them and or have a university conduct a study on them to present to the USDA you might be able to change their minds. :eek:

However perhaps if you could supply them with enough info on them and or have a university conduct a study on them to present to the USDA you might be able to change their minds. :eek:

it would be easier to solve world hunger than to get them to change their minds - I have been trying for YEARS to get the local DNR to lift the clam band on fresh water river clams, I used to use the shells for art, then they band collecting them because they do have pearls in them ( nice ones !! ) but they are so thick again in the river here they are killing each other - but they will not lift the band - even after 8 yrs of my bugging them every spring :mad:

Back
Top Bottom