Roaches and citrus

Dr O

Veterinarian
as many breeders of roaches, particularly discoid and dubia, advocate using oranges as a “breeding stimulant”, does anyone know how lemons fare in this regard? Our orange trees on our property are dying, but we have lemons galore. However, I don't want to be the first person to find out that the much more acidic lemons kill off breeding roach colonies.

So does anyone know? Does the breeding stimulant factor apply across the entire citrus family?

as many breeders of roaches, particularly discoid and dubia, advocate using oranges as a “breeding stimulant”, does anyone know how lemons fare in this regard? Our orange trees on our property are dying, but we have lemons galore. However, I don't want to be the first person to find out that the much more acidic lemons kill off breeding roach colonies.

So does anyone know? Does the breeding stimulant factor apply across the entire citrus family?

I know Dubias and Discoids go crazy for Oranges. I have never given them Lemons but I would think that they would be too acidic for them.

FYI Both types also love Bananas.

I don't have experience with using lemons but a quick google search I found that lemon rinds and juice is used as a organic pesticide for them as according to several sites, they despise the taste or smell of lemons. Now I also don't know if dubias would feel the same about them......compared to regular household roaches.

http://www.ehow.com/list_7238326_home-remedies-roach-control.html

That's pretty fascinating… And probably the only answer that I need unless someone has direct experience otherwise!

no one told my roaches that lemons are too acidic.

I dont give my roaches much in the way of citrus overall, since it does not grow where I live. But they've had oranges and lemons from time to time, no issues.

citrus is not required for breeding.

citrus is not required for breeding.

of course not. and if it even is a “breeding stimulant", no one even knows if it's just from the extra hydration, vitamin C, or something else. But 'tis the season for maturing citrus here in Florida, and I have lemons galore.

Al, did you give it a shot?

I did... I put half a lemon in with a small group of 20-30 med sized dubia overnight. All are doing fine today, but the lemon looks untouched...

So, I just stuck it in with my bin of adult dubia. Who have hollowed out oranges in a night so this should tell at least if theyll eat it.

Honestly, I work in pest control and Ive heard of every "trick" in the book for pesticide remedies, 99.9% of the time they dont work lol...

I expect to return to my bin in an hour and the half lemon to be hollowed out, without casualties.. Now that wont say that lemons may have a long term effect on a colonie but like Sandra said, there shouldnt be any issue

Lemons have many health benefits studied in humans. It has been known for centuries, as the ancient Egyptians used them for medicinal purposes.

The biggest are lemons strong antibacterial, antiviral, and immune-boosting powers. Many weight loss supplements have lemon in them because lemon juice is a digestive aid and liver cleanser. Lemons contain many substances. For example, citric acid, calcium, magnesium, vitamin C, bioflavonoids, pectin, and limonene. They are known to destroy intestinal worms, blood vessels are strengthened by the bioflavanoids.

I could assume that lemons would have the same affect on roaches, an likely the health benefits would have an affect on breeding. BTW, you may grow marigold or "pot marigold" around your home, this also gives the same affect and is known to increase sex drive. To get the roaches to devour lemons, I would cut the lemon into small pieces and keep the peel on. Then I would dry them out ( be sure to prevent molding) and process them down into a powder and mix other ingredients into the lemon powder. Although, the roaches will eat lemons wet as well. I just like to avoid a lot of wet fruits due to the clean up.

Last edited:
I dried out some lemon, processed it down to a powder, mixed it with dandelion, marigold, hemp seeds, turmeric root, and spirulina. I put the mixture on a slice of romaine lettuce and every bit of food is gone in just under 2 hours.

I am going to give a colony of dubia this mixture, minus the lemon. Then I will compare their breeding rates to the colony of lemon consumers.

Back
Top Bottom