RI treatment

Camsofcali

Anyone had any luck curing a minor respiratory infection in panthers by just raising temps? I've used antibiotics in the past but do you know from experience that they are ALWAYS really necessary? It seems like its been a very common illness in the last month or two and I've noticed ALOT more of people's females than males coming down with the illness..

Anyone had any luck curing a minor respiratory infection in panthers by just raising temps? I've used antibiotics in the past but do you know from experience that they are ALWAYS really necessary? It seems like its been a very common illness in the last month or two and I've noticed ALOT more of people's females than males coming down with the illness..

RIs are not caused by only one type of organism or situation. An RI may be a result or secondary to another problem. If I had a cham who I know was chilled for a while and showed some signs like a nasal blockage only, maybe upping the temp would be enough. I don't think you can be certain that raising the temp will work for (for example) an infection caused by a fungal issue or a virus. Some bacteria may bloom with increased temp and others may not. I also think this would depend on how long the cham has been sick. An advanced RI will most likely need meds as the cham was unable to kick it off without help.

Just think its too complicated to be dealt with the same way every time.

True

Agreed, and good points! I know a handful of people right now whose female panthers have RI's and there husbandry is for the most part very good. I don't know any other advice to give other than keep the enclosures extremely clean and check humidity/ increase the temps. My experience with antibiotics and the vet seems to not be the best but its also been about twelve years since then so maybe things have changed..

Back
Top Bottom