Reverse Osmosis Water Filtration and Misting System

Maybe this is why:

"For example, trace amounts of copper found in drinking water fed to rabbit models developed for highly refined applications throughout Alzheimer¹s research study* induced the affects of Alzheimer disease...

*"Trace amounts of copper in water induce B-amyloid plaques and learning deficits in a rabbit model of Alzheimer¹s disease", D. Larry Sparks and Bernard G. Schreurs, PNAS September 16, 2003, vol. 100, no. 19, pgs 11065-11069."

does it say how much copper was found? I'd be interested to know if a couple of fittings would introduce enough copper to cause issue?

It doesn't explain why, maybe you have the answer?

Being limited to Home Depot as a plumbing supply... options can be limiting.

This thread has been up for a while and you haven't said anything, did you just learn that copper is a bad idea?

This is the first time I saw this thread.

I'm all for improvement but I have to say, Kevin did a lot to make this happen and I know I couldn't have done it all without his input. Maybe you're just jabbing at him, but he was the guy who came over and invested hours learning about reverse osmosis to help me get misting set up in my greenhouse.

So if brass is bad and metal RO storage tanks are bad, I need more than a link that says so. I need to know why. I guess I could start looking around for answers.

This misting system has been in operation since February 2009. I have not had any problems with the RO, the Zero Waste, the Mist King pump or nozzles. If changing out the fittings helps my chameleons in the long run and if using a plastic storage tank is safer, then I will go that route. I just need to know why before changing something that seems to be working fine right now.

Thank you for your input, it is appreciated.

Me jab at Kevin.......na

RO water is aggressive and tends to corrode and dissolve metals.
As for the metal bladder tank, ro water will make it rust inside especially if it is one from lowes.

RO water is aggressive and tends to corrode and dissolve metals.
As for the metal bladder tank, ro water will make it rust inside especially if it is one from lowes.

It isn't from Lowe's.....

The tank I have doesn't say what it is made out of. it says it is ISO9001 compliant... which I think has more to do with how it is made and the standard of workmanship. My PPM is 4... so I don't imagine any rust is coming from my tank.... but who knows.

As for Elisa's tank, she'll have to look on the side to see what it is made of.

The metal tanks have a coating on the inside but it only take a pinhole to start rusting. I used one from lowes and it wasn't coated very good and started to rust after a month. The bladders seem to loose air pressure so it would be good to check the psi in them from time to time. If you check the psi and water comes out of the valve it means the bladder has failed.

The metal tanks have a coating on the inside but it only take a pinhole to start rusting. I used one from lowes and it wasn't coated very good and started to rust after a month. The bladders seem to loose air pressure so it would be good to check the psi in them from time to time. If you check the psi and water comes out of the valve it means the bladder has failed.

If you have a failed bladder I don't imagine your gonna have any water pressure from the tank.... so no flow at the faucet tells me there is an issue.

As for Elisa's tank, she'll have to look on the side to see what it is made of.

Mine is from www.FreeDrinkingWater.com and the label on the side says:

PA-E
REVERSE OSMOSIS
Water Storage Tank
RO-1070
CE
NOB#0038
CAUTION
The valve cap must not be removed except authorized serviceman to compensate for the pressure switch setting.
NOTICE
Maximum working pressure: 100 PSI
2008/0301553 PA.E ISO 9001 Listed
Made in Taiwan​

It does not say what materials they used to make the tank. But since the interior coating can be a problem and introduce rust into the water, it would be best to get a plastic reservoir.

Now we are getting somewhere. ;)

WOW!!!! I am so jealous! Our water here is so terrible. It is hard water and it stains everything. I run a new clear glass through our dishwasher and the glass comes out chalky and white. I badly want and RO system and your greenhouse is fantastic.

Mine is from www.FreeDrinkingWater.com and the label on the side says:

PA-E
REVERSE OSMOSIS
Water Storage Tank
RO-1070
CE
NOB#0038
CAUTION
The valve cap must not be removed except authorized serviceman to compensate for the pressure switch setting.
NOTICE
Maximum working pressure: 100 PSI
2008/0301553 PA.E ISO 9001 Listed
Made in Taiwan​

It does not say what materials they used to make the tank. But since the interior coating can be a problem and introduce rust into the water, it would be best to get a plastic reservoir.

Now we are getting somewhere. ;)

Mine says the same thing for the most part....

Now you gotta worry about the plastic you use.... because plastic leaches chemicals... i think i'd rather have to worry about checking for rust than worry about what chemicals are being leached

does it say how much copper was found? I'd be interested to know if a couple of fittings would introduce enough copper to cause issue?

I missed this one, sorry. I posted exactly what it said on that link Todnedo posted. Here is the actual page.

Does the clean RO water pass through both fittings before heading to the misting lines?

Maybe he was also looking at the hose bibs where we used brass splitters. I need to move that thing over to the right anyway (it's always in the way) so I can change to plastic then.

Back
Top Bottom