Reverse Osmosis System Recommendation

Archangel

Hey all,

I have been looking for a reverse osmosis system for the past few days and I am having issues deciding which system to get. I have tried to search in the forums for recommendations but the posts are either old and the links are death or the systems are really basic. So I was wondering if someone can recommend me a good 5+ stages system that doesn’t waste a lot of water? I have been looking at the waterdrop tankless systems but I really don’t know if it’s good idea to get an RO system that requires an electrical outlet and some people say they are not as good as they look.

Thanks!

Unless you are looking to drop a CHUNK of change, any RO system is recommended to run at a 4:1 waste/product ratio. You may be able to get by with a 3:1 or maybe a little lower depending on the quality of your water (incoming TDS)
There are systems that will run at a 1:1 ratio, but they are expensive.
You could go with a double membrane, having the waste water from the first feeding the second. So it would drop your system down to a 2:1 ratio. It's what I do.
But again, it depends on your water quality.

Unless you are looking to drop a CHUNK of change, any RO system is recommended to run at a 4:1 waste/product ratio. You may be able to get by with a 3:1 or maybe a little lower depending on the quality of your water (incoming TDS)
There are systems that will run at a 1:1 ratio, but they are expensive.
You could go with a double membrane, having the waste water from the first feeding the second. So it would drop your system down to a 2:1 ratio. It's what I do.
But again, it depends on your water quality.
I am looking to spend up to 350 usd on it. I have seen some 1:1 on that price range but I don’t know if they are good. Like this one as an example:

https://www.amazon.com/Reverse-Osmo...ld=1&keywords=waterdrop&qid=1617071214&sr=8-5

I don’t really know if buying a tankless RO system is such a good idea. That’s why I am looking for other options and recommendations :)

I can tell you from years of keeping saltwater fish, the biggest issue with RO membranes is TDS creep.
Click on the description to get a better explanation than I can give.
https://www.buckeyehydro.com/tds-creep-bypass/
The initial water coming out of your membrane is often HIGHER in TDS than your actual water. I am not sure if this is addressed in the product you linked, or how it is dealt with in any RO system other than discarding the initial water produced, until the membrane starts doing its job. You would need a TDS meter to monitor the product water to know when the TDS levels have bottomed out.
It is also important for there to be a way to flush the membrane on a regular basis ( I flush mine every time before I make water. ) Without regular flushing, the TDS trapped by the membrane will build up and ruin it.

I would suggest getting one from either Buckeye Hydro or Spectrapure. While they are not made to neatly fit under your sink, they do what they are made to do. And, the sediment filters and carbon blocks are universal and can be purchased numerous aces, both locally and online. Both companies listed stand behind their products.
If you call Russ at Buckeye and tell him what you are looking for in your system, he will set you up with exactly what you need . He's a good guy.

I would suggest getting one from either Buckeye Hydro or Spectrapure. While they are not made to neatly fit under your sink, they do what they are made to do. And, the sediment filters and carbon blocks are universal and can be purchased numerous aces, both locally and online. Both companies listed stand behind their products.
If you call Russ at Buckeye and tell him what you are looking for in your system, he will set you up with exactly what you need . He's a good guy.
I like the spectrapure max pure drinking water system, and it seems I can buy an auto membrane flusher for the system https://spectrapure.com/collections/water-systems/products/maxpure-drinking-water-systems

Also the Buckeye Hydro premium residential is nice. I like that you can customize it on the website :). I will reach out to Russ tomorrow. Thanks!!!

Russ will probably ask if your water is treated with chloramines or not.
Check w your local water company if you are not sure before you call.
Whatever system you end up with, try to stay with carbon blocks 1 micron or less. They last much much longer than a five micron block.
Bulk Reef Supply has a video or two regarding the longevity of different carbon blocks relating to the micron size for both water treated with chlorine and chloramines. Very educational.

I think the estimate yeilds for ro water is over estimated, even the very best system will only produce 25%, your looking more in the region of 1:10 could be even higher if your source water is hard.
Just giving reverse osmosis water can lead to a form of dehydration where the pure water sucks out all electrolytes from the animal. You can re-mineralise water using some of hma water the pre filters produce before the ro membrane so would look for a machine that allows this to be tapped off.
A decent water pressure is required if your mains water isnt great you may need a pressure building pump.
The more stages of prefiltration you have the longer your membrane will last but as suggested you need to monitor tds to make sure filter hasnt degraded.
Im lucky enough to live in soft water area so im using a 3 stage hma but one of my filters is a resin chloro-amine filter as occasionally during droughts my water source can change to ground water and is treated with chloro amines.

I think the estimate yeilds for ro water is over estimated, even the very best system will only produce 25%, your looking more in the region of 1:10 could be even higher if your source water is hard.
Just giving reverse osmosis water can lead to a form of dehydration where the pure water sucks out all electrolytes from the animal. You can re-mineralise water using some of hma water the pre filters produce before the ro membrane so would look for a machine that allows this to be tapped off.
A decent water pressure is required if your mains water isnt great you may need a pressure building pump.
The more stages of prefiltration you have the longer your membrane will last but as suggested you need to monitor tds to make sure filter hasnt degraded.
Im lucky enough to live in soft water area so im using a 3 stage hma but one of my filters is a resin chloro-amine filter as occasionally during droughts my water source can change to ground water and is treated with chloro amines.
Wait, if I re-mineralise the water wouldn’t that add calcium back to the water which would cause the misting system to clog?

Back
Top Bottom