Rest in Piece Ranger and I just got him back from the vet today!

Usually I would leave my chameleon in care of one of my closest friend who lives down the street, but in this case my chameleon Ranger was on antibiotics from a RI our vet diagnosed. So instead of having my friend take care of him (because bless his heart I don't think he would have been able to give him his antibiotics,) I thought it would be appropriate to leave him over at our Vet.

Now we live in GA so we took a car ride to FL to look for a new house to move into, and during that time I would call the vet and ask them about Ranger, and they would tell me that he was doing good, he was eating crickets (which was strange because in the past we have always had problems with Ranger's picky eating and most of the time he would just eat worms) but we were ok with it because 'yeah! he's eating crickets this is great', and they also told us that he was drinking off leaves, and we were thrilled because this is great news, after coming back from an RI, and some picking eating and drinking moments it sounded like he was going to be ok!

So picking up Ranger was supposed to be exciting, because the vet told us, that he was eating, and drinking, and that his colors looked good right?
Well that didn't happen. 5:00 we pick up Ranger from the vet. We get his bag and his cage and then I notice something on my way out. His eyes are severely sunken in, as well as his casque, his coloring is super dark and he's pretty lethargic.

IMG_8740.jpg

This was him when I brought him out of his cage to take a look at him.

As soon as we take him home we pop his cage in the shower for about 10-15 mins to get that humidity up, and to see if he would drink something.
After that's all done I still notice his eyes and casque are still severely sunken in. So I spray down his cage and spray some water around him to entice him to drink something. Nothing. I get a straw with some water to get him to drink, he does but then throws it up almost immediately.

IMG_8747.jpg

This was him when we tried to get him to drink something with a stray.

IMG_8741.jpg

After his shower.

So now we are completely scared. He's lethargic, and severely dehydrated, and we are just furious because the vet basically sent him off with a clean bill of health.

So it's 6:20-6:30 ish, and I see him just dangling over one of his branches, he's not even supporting himself he's just laying there legs going over and I just see him breathing and it's heartbreaking because I don't know if he can make it through this, so I pick him up and move him so he's not dangling over the branches, but that he's just laying on them on his side.

At this point i'm scared, and i'm crying and I'm angry and upset and because I don't know what to do.

So around 6:45 I saw him shoot out is tongue, and just kinda had a little spasm for a bit, but it's not going back in, he's just laying there not moving with his tongue sticking out of his mouth, so I'm just not sure what to do, I just spray around his tongue to keep it from drying out and I just sit and wait.

7:00 my mother checks on him, and then brings him out to me wrapped up in a paper towel, and she tells me that he's gone.

I'm sorry about my long story, but I'm just a little bit upset and so I kinda pose a little question and discussion with you guys.
Has this happened before? You give your cham to the vet, expecting them to know what they are doing, especially one that specializes in exotic pets, and they come back worse for wear. Why do you think this happens? They told me that he was drinking, and eating and when I get him back he is severely dehydrated, his eyes are sunken in, his casque is sinking into his skull and he's completely lethargic!
So I'm just a little frustrated right now, because when I got there we had asked them again about him eating crickets and they said that they didn't see him eat any but just noticed that a few were gone.
I'm just upset that something could have been avoided if they were honest, and told me that they didn't directly see him drink off leaves, or see him go after a cricket. I feel like when you give someone their pet to take care of, they should feel comfortable telling you everything that's happening and that they shouldn't lie, or bend the truth to make you feel better about leaving your pet.

Ranger would have been 2 years old on the 22 of December. He will be severely missed. R.I.P. Ranger. I love you

IMG_8752.JPG

I'm in the process of trying to adopt a chameleon and have seen quite a few unhealthy ones. The sunken eyes on Ranger is the worst I've seen to date. I would have definitely taken him back to the vet as soon as I noticed his poor condition. They gave you a clean bill of health and he looked far from it. I'm sorry for your loss, RIP Ranger!

I'm in the process of trying to adopt a chameleon and have seen quite a few unhealthy ones. The sunken eyes on Ranger is the worst I've seen to date. I would have definitely taken him back to the vet as soon as I noticed his poor condition. They gave you a clean bill of health and he looked far from it. I'm sorry for your loss, RIP Ranger!

I've never seen anything like this before, nothing as severe as this. At first we thought his little shower would have helped him put a little 'pep' in his walk but by the time we found out nothing good was happening it was too late for us to take him to the vet. Thank you though, this is just why I'm so upset and frustrated right now, I take him to the vet to watch him, and when I take him home in less that three hours he dies.

I am so sorry you lost Ranger. I would be both heartbroken and very angry at the vet. I would go see the vet and try to calmly let him know how upset I was. I often miss the calmly part. Hopefully he can give you some explanation of what happened. I hope you did not pay that vet for his "care" of your cham.

I would be upset with the vet also, because it sounds like you were being fed some BS, and my suspicion would have been they wanted it picked up before it died on their hands.

But other things can happen- a helper could have used something toxic to clean with near the cage, for example a few minutes before pickup. I doubt it, but...

This should be a good lesson for all of us to check the animal before leaving the vet's office, and pointing out anything amiss so the vet can address it before leaving.

So sorry...

That sounds absolutely horrible and unacceptable on the part of the vet who said he was ok. Did you get back in contact with them once you realized he wasn't going to get better? There's also the possibility that his infection was just too far advanced and it kicked in after the stress of the vet, which is usually pretty straining for them even when healthy otherwise.

Terribly sorry

I am so so sorry that something like this happened to you, I am confused as to why it would happen at all. You think a vet would be a place he would be safe and sound. I hope you do go down and give them a talking to. Care like that shouldn't go without be reprimanded.

Poor boy, he will forever be with you that little smiling chameleon on your shoulder. Keep us updated!

Back
Top Bottom