resealing custom cage

jamjam

Established Member
HELP: how to reseal custom cage

I decided to redo the silicone in the bottom of my cage as i pulled out the old silicone it started to peel my wood sealant with it.

am i going to have to sand it down to bare wood and redo it all? or could i try to just sand the peeling areas smooth?

stupid me decided to do the silicone after i had put 3 new coats of sealant last week from another issue so i dont want all of that to go to waste :(

Last edited:
That stuff peels when it's put on in layers too thick. The top and bottom dry at different times and create different tensions that lead to peeling. Very very thin layers with lots of drying time in between help eliminate that. You could try and reseal the torn up section and it should be fine, but redoing the whole thing is probably safer.

Probably 220. 180 might give you a textured surface finish even after all the coats are applied. Anything more than 220 might not give enough anchorage for the urethane.

that would be to finish it. how about to remove the varathane thats already on and peeling. would i use like a 60-80?

I clicked on the link for the Diamond product you used. It said it was for "interior" use and only "water resistant." I don't think these types of products will hold up to any constant exposure to water such as we do when misting or dripping the cages. Water is amazing in ability to seep in under protective coatings. Have you thought of using a marine grade two part clear epoxy? Probably more expensive but I think it would hold up much better.

The wood and the sealer have to move together which is why most waterproof coatings never last. You can use liquid rubber or as Kevin said a marine grade epoxy. West systems 105 with a 205 hardener works. There is a cheaper product called MaxACR as well. You could also just fiberglass the whole thing.

http://m.homedepot.ca/Product/productdetails.aspx?ProductId=980343&lang=EN

My bad I do in fact the exterior one just double checked it. Appreciate all the advice guys, I'm ging to try using what I already have. So ill pick up some 80grit sand paper ill sand it down the best I can and apply new coats of that varathan. I have 220 grit I can sand between coats and i'll test that out. I think the initial problem of the wood splitting was coats being too thin and not enough, and thinking most of the peeling afterwards came from when I removed the old silicone. The scrapper ripped up the sealant was just trying to figure out how to move forward from there. Either attempting to smooth it out or remove all the old coatings

Back
Top Bottom