Rescue Cham won't eat

camimom

I recently rescued a female panther, who is skinny and seems a bit weak.

No sleeping during the day though.

She seems interested in food, but is sort of weak to be able to catch on her own.

I'm doing shower treatments, and offer food, all she could eat.

I'm not trying to force feed her, but I might if I have to.

We are off the to vet on Friday, as she isn't in critical condition.

Roaches seem to be too hard for her to catch, and crickets are faster than them.

I can't get silks, but I might be able to get some horns.

Any suggestions as to how I can get her strength up without shoving food down her throat?

If she isn't too shy, perhaps she will eat the insects if you hold them in your fingers near her.
Superworms may be a tempting feeder that she will eat.
Hopefully, you can get her to eat a bit, so she can provide a sample for parasite testing.
Maybe a little outdoor time will perk her up enough to eat.

If she isn't too shy, perhaps she will eat the insects if you hold them in your fingers near her.
Superworms may be a tempting feeder that she will eat.
Hopefully, you can get her to eat a bit, so she can provide a sample for parasite testing.
Maybe a little outdoor time will perk her up enough to eat.

She runs and hides when I get my fingers near her with food.

Outside I can do.

I'm going to get some tongs.

What do you think about baby food?

I can sneak a bit in her mouth when we do shower time cuz she shuts her eyes and can't see me coming.

I've tried bugs like that, but she spits them out.

You can get some tasty bugs--crickets, supers, phoenixworms-- cut the heads off the crickets and supers, so they'll be "squishable---and put them into a needleless syringe, to be squeezed into her mouth during shower time. I actually cut the heads off the supers and crickets, then squeeze their contents into the syringe. This way it's easier to digest and she will get the taste of the bug and probably be more willing to just eat , rather than spit them our.
For the crickets and supers you can just add the tiniest amount of calcium to the syringe, somewhere between the first and last insects, so it doesn't just stay in the syringe.
A drop of calcium liquid works great in the syringe and will help if she has MBD.
Of course you'll want to not give her too much at once--but I'm sure you already know that.
Perhaps she will cup feed if you aren't nearby.

You can get some tasty bugs--crickets, supers, phoenixworms-- cut the heads off the crickets and supers, so they'll be "squishable---and put them into a needleless syringe, to be squeezed into her mouth during shower time. I actually cut the heads off the supers and crickets, then squeeze their contents into the syringe. This way it's easier to digest and she will get the taste of the bug and probably be more willing to just eat , rather than spit them our.
For the crickets and supers you can just add the tiniest amount of calcium to the syringe, somewhere between the first and last insects, so it doesn't just stay in the syringe.
A drop of calcium liquid works great in the syringe and will help if she has MBD.
Of course you'll want to not give her too much at once--but I'm sure you already know that.
Perhaps she will cup feed if you aren't nearby.

Thankfully no signs of mbd, all limbs are nice and straight. Which I can see cuz she's so skinny.

I think I'll try what you suggested and see how she does.

She can chew, I was able to get one small Dubia in her mouth.

But she needs more than one Dubia to get by.

She's alert, just doesn't have the energy to feed.

But she wants to eat, she tracked a Dubia in a cup with her eyes, just can't catch it. And she does have a tongue.

I just need to get her energy level up and get her fat, and she'll be all good.

How long have you had her now? Maybe she just needs a couple days to get comfortable with her surroundings?

No, this isn't the typical adjustment period. She shows interest in food, just seems to have no energy to chase it.

I know the normal settle in blah blah blah. Lol.

She's my like 11th or 12th Cham.

I used reptaboost insectivore formula for my daughter's bearded dragon - she wasn't eating well due to the medication that the vet had put her on and he suggested it - I got it at the pet store near me it's made by Fluker's - she ended up licking it out of the syringe it came with after tasting a bit- I don't think you would have the same luck with a chameleon but it comes in a powder so it might be possible to mix in with some real bugs.

I used reptaboost insectivore formula for my daughter's bearded dragon - she wasn't eating well due to the medication that the vet had put her on and he suggested it - I got it at the pet store near me it's made by Fluker's - she ended up licking it out of the syringe it came with after tasting a bit- I don't think you would have the same luck with a chameleon but it comes in a powder so it might be possible to mix in with some real bugs.

Thanks! I'll see if I can find it.

Hi, you might try de-legging (most legs) your crickets to make them slow enough or even making so they twitch around.

I would not personally resort to meal worms or even super worms. The last thing you want is a weak chameleon being picky towards prey that is not nutritionally good for them and not to mention very little actual "meat" content.

If you do resort to force feeding. The best thing to do is force bugs themself. Crickets seem to be the best imo. (Can inject the cricket with fluids/nutrients/etc.)

Run a fecal as soon as you can.

Last edited:
Hi, you might try de-legging (most legs) your crickets to make them slow enough or even making so they twitch around.

I would not personally resort to meal worms or even super worms. The last thing you want is a weak chameleon being picky towards prey that is not nutritionally good for them.

If you do resort to force feeding. The best thing to do is force bugs themself. Crickets seem to be the best imo.

Run a fecal as soon as you can.

Fecal is happening on Friday. Sooner if I get a sample I can use.

I like the idea of delegging the crickets.

Hopefully I don't have to resort to force feed.

Might make some bug juice. Ekgh don't want to though.

Back
Top Bottom