Reptifogger

Status
Not open for further replies.
I understand your skepticism. I have been keeping chams for 8 years, been breeding for 6 and currently have 28 chams, a clutch of baby vields, and 5 juvie veileds/panthers. I also have 11 clutches of eggs incubating. I am not an expert by no means, but I do what I can to keep up with information on my animals and the best way to care for them and keep them healthy. I don't ever give out information that is "guessing" but information that I have learned over the years. If I am not positive about something I say that I am not sure or why I have a question regarding the information.

I try not to berate anyone's question, but if they are unable to accept good answers from people who know chams I may just tell them "why ask if you're going to do your own thing." Some people are just looking for praise, not information.

This is a technical forum, not the general discussion. In here we speak of facts and discuss theory, both require the basic ability to articulate an idea with supporting information. Its greatly lacking here as of late.

IBdragons I get really annoyed when people in a technical forum can't even use basic writing skills to communicate clear thought. Save your texting for your phone.

Listen, drop the attitude. Yes, you own a reptifogger. Yes, you use it a lot. OTHER people do too. The QUESTION that was ASKED is if OP should get a reptifogger OR a mister, as in which is better. People have answered, and you act as if you know everything and know best for everyone. You mist along with your fogger, so does everyone else. Just answer OP's question instead of trying to make everyone else feel stupid.

This is a technical forum, not the general discussion. In here we speak of facts and discuss theory, both require the basic ability to articulate an idea with supporting information. Its greatly lacking here as of late.

IBdragons I get really annoyed when people in a technical forum can't even use basic writing skills to communicate clear thought. Save your texting for your phone.

Looks like if you were at school you would be the kid that gets banged in the nose.................... ALOT!

get a Mister.

Reactions: Kmw
Yes i do plan on misting them and using a dripper but i live in utah and as some of you know it is pretty dry here so i thought getting a reptifogger would help me control the humidity better and not have to mist more often...thats all i was saying not saying to use a reptifogger only so there is an update on my question..

Listen, drop the attitude. Yes, you own a reptifogger. Yes, you use it a lot. OTHER people do too. The QUESTION that was ASKED is if OP should get a reptifogger OR a mister, as in which is better. People have answered, and you act as if you know everything and know best for everyone. You mist along with your fogger, so does everyone else. Just answer OP's question instead of trying to make everyone else feel stupid.

look at the majority of the responses, they are not only wrong they are plain stupid. I don't need to make anyone feel stupid they a good enough job demonstrating it through their own posts.

Its ironic you mention attitude....

The one thing I will do is communicate quality info. and immediately dispel the nonsense posts before me. People come to this site to learn, but when half the posts are nothing more than baseless opinions without any first hand knowledge or personal experience they should just put away the key board and actually read.

If you don't want learn then don't read my posts.

Get the facts straight.

so alek........basically to sum it all up is put a fogger if you are having trouble keeping the humidity up, but also mist. I think the mister might be better, because that will def. keep the humidity up, and your cham can drink from that .

look at the majority of the responses, they are not only wrong they are plain stupid. I don't need to make anyone feel stupid they a good enough job demonstrating it through their own posts.

The one thing I will do is communicate quality info. and immediately dispel the nonsense posts before me. People come to this site to learn, but when half the posts are nothing more than baseless opinions without any first hand knowledge or personal experience they should just put away the key board and actually read.

Get the facts straight.

Funny you should mention learning to read when they clearly said they have used one. Next time, get YOUR facts straight. Stop insulting members. You're no better than anyone else.

I am defending patrick because he has a point; a fogger is more than just a humidity maker. The condensate it produces even on low is ample enuff to create little water droplets on the screen and that is a slow rain/dripper in itself.

Nobody is saying use one over the other, simply saying they both are beneficial and in some situations one is better than the other, and both can be used in junction if your local conditions require to get the RH and amount of water needed to keep a healthy cham.

Yet in this section more often than not when someone mentions reptifogger people freak out and say its a waste dont buy etc... The brand is irrelevant imo and the topic should be "humidifier and its place in the toolbox".

The one thing I will do is communicate quality info. and immediately dispel the nonsense posts before me.

Get the facts straight.

Ah, but here you state the problem all on your own.

Any time someone else makes a statement you brand it based on your personal opinion. If you happen to agree with their statement you label it as fact. If you happen to disagree with the statement you label it as stupidity or ignorance. That is your private perogative, but how you behave in public has become the issue here. All of us at some point might find a post annoying (not yours OP), but most of us choose to control ourselves in order to help solve a problem or answer a simple question. I try very very hard not to stoop to insults when making a point because I know that putting someone on the defensive is counterproductive. Their animals will suffer for it and that's what we are all here for.

This forum is a community of people who can't meet in person to present physical proof about what we know. We all have to behave in a mature manner in order to progress. You are not going to be helping anyone's chameleons or earning anyone's trust by intimidating or insulting them. It won't matter much if you happen to be right or wrong.

You obviously have some sort of burr under your saddle about people in general, but I'd suggest you go take care of it elsewhere. This forum, (regardless which subforum we happen to be writing on), is not the place to work off your anger.

Last edited:
so alek........basically to sum it all up is put a fogger if you are having trouble keeping the humidity up, but also mist. I think the mister might be better, because that will def. keep the humidity up, and your cham can drink from that .

Basically, you will have to experiment to find just the right combination that works in your particular situation, climate, cage arrangement, etc. Whether your particular cage setup allows a Reptifogger to create enough condensation for drinking or not is going to vary a lot. In larger screen cages it might not depending on the climate pattern in your house. If you alter the cage ventilation and foliage it might. Just as you get the system working the way you want, the season changes and you get to adjust all over again! There is no one answer to this one. The fact that you are asking means you are thinking it through. Good.

Last edited:
Yet in this section more often than not when someone mentions reptifogger people freak out and say its a waste dont buy etc... The brand is irrelevant imo and the topic should be "humidifier and its place in the toolbox".

How can you say the brand is irrelevant when the title of this thread is "Reptifogger"? He isn't specifically asking about humidifiers in general right now; he's asking about the Reptifogger - making brand anything but irrelevant.

Yes i do plan on misting them and using a dripper but i live in utah and as some of you know it is pretty dry here so i thought getting a reptifogger would help me control the humidity better and not have to mist more often...thats all i was saying not saying to use a reptifogger only so there is an update on my question..

Its a good question and important that you are asking it. I haven't used a Reptifogger per se, but have come up with other ways to accomplish the same thing...a combination of hand misting, auto misting, and ultrasonic room humidifiers (that I happen to prefer over smaller terrarium foggers because they seem to be better built and last longer).

It would help by keeping the humidity higher. That is why my vet recommended getting one. They aren't super expensive, easy to run and will last a long time without breakdowns. Just my thoughts and my vets. They don't really add more drinking water, misting does that, they just add humidity which does help your cham from getting dehydrated, especially if you have a montane variety. You could also try a cool mist humidifier like you would use if you have a cold, NOT A HOT HUMIDIFIER. I bought one, but took it back unopened. I went to my reptile store and when I saw the advantages of the reptifogger for just a little more I went with that. Besides, I wanted to adapt it to use for more then one cage.

Good luck.

How can you say the brand is irrelevant when the title of this thread is "Reptifogger"? He isn't specifically asking about humidifiers in general right now; he's asking about the Reptifogger - making brand anything but irrelevant.

Oh I dunno since his concern is really about the humidity where he lives. Plus fact I have a reptifogger and a homemade fogger, and both do more than you seem to think they do? So that makes the "brand" a moot point in all honesty.;)

They don't really add more drinking water, misting does that, they just add humidity which does help your cham from getting dehydrated, especially if you have a montane variety.

This is an important point to remind people of...even if you are spraying the heck out of your cage multiple times a day, your cham can still dehydrate if the air is bone dry. Cages dry out faster in a dry room than most new keepers realize. Because chams didn't evolve to tolerate dry climates they don't conserve body moisture very efficiently (kidneys, GI tract, skin, nasal membranes, etc). The average "comfort" humidity level in US homes is lower than what a cham would be exposed to in the wild. And, cbb or wc doesn't matter either. We haven't affected their genetic makeup enough over the few captive generations produced to change that.

You obviously have some sort of burr under your saddle about people in general, but I'd suggest you go take care of it elsewhere. This forum, (regardless which subforum we happen to be writing on), is not the place to work off your anger.

Carlton, with all due respect. Its these kind of assuming blanket statements which are baseless and are just plain silly, especially coming form someone who should know better. No one is angry here that is a total misrepresentation of the point.

There is no burr under my saddle about people in general, just people who post misinformation,who can't follow a thread , who misquote my own statements and then takes it personally when their misinformation is corrected.

My style is direct. I know people with thin skin can't stand it when others actually know what their talking about and offer factual information versus what been stated on this thread.

Its obvious that this site has many many young members, and thats great, but the culture of assumption just like your statement above is counterproductive to knowledge.

I'd like to keep this thread open as long as the debate stays objective, reasonable, and relevant. Let's play nice, peeps. :)

You certainly are entitled to your opinion.

But ,

So many people are just trying to help others here, but their help really is nothing more than their very limited experience based on opinions by other members with no experience. This place is a vicious loop of let me give you my opinion without ANY facts to back their opinions up.

I don't care about opinions. I care about what really works for healthy chams. I care about accurate information. I care about information that is based on multiple variables that have been proven.

Back to the reptifogger, it's a very useful tool.

I found it very useful to get rid of. I GAVE AWAY 4 of them on this very forum. A cheap humidifier from Target does a much better job. I have used a couple of those without any issue for 3 years. This is based on experience of a person who has kept cham for years. I also care about healthy chams and that is why i offered mine free to people and said I think they are not a useful tool. And that is my opinion.

Last edited:
I also care about healthy chams and that is why i offered mine free to people and said I think they are not a useful tool. And that is my opinion.

I'm confused.

I like the idea of buying a better more reliable unit from Target. 3 years of use is better than my experience the reptifogger.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom