Reptifogger

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone reccomend a reptifogger? or is it better to mist or have a mister? Im debating on if i should get a reptifogger so plaease tell me if they are good

Reptifogger is primarily used to increase humidity in the environment. It does not replace any mistings or drippings required to hydrate your cham.

If you have low humidity, then purchase one if your type of cham requires a high humidity environment. For example, Trioceros Quadricornis (Quads) need high %, so a fogger is perfect for them.

Not sure if either of the previous posters have any real experience with the reptifogger by their statements. A lack of knowledge on how to use it clearly.

Let me tell you the reptifogger while being somewhat cheap is an excellent way to keep your chams hydrated.

Mine, all four, run on a timer and start as soon as the lights come on and run for 60 minutes. Just like the morning dew that most chameleons get their first drink of the day from. The morning dew effect that is artificially created most definitely stimulates my mountain species to drink and hydrates my orchids as well. While I do spray everyday it's not nearly as much as most here. I don't need drainage at all because I dont use excessive water beyond what is needed.
The water droplets after 60 minutes is fairly significant and isn't ever a problem not providing enough water for the chams. If you use a glass terrarium such as exo terra or zoo med it works even better. I wouldn't keep chameleons with out one.

That being said there is a known issue with the fans in those units, and replacements are available through the manufacturer if need be.

Air circulation is important as well if you use these, because over use without air circulation leads to an URI. Knowing the balance of how to use the reptifogger followed by air movement will ensure a quality healthy habitat and chameleons.

Not sure if either of the previous posters have any real experience with the reptifogger by their statements. A lack of knowledge on how to use it clearly.

Let me tell you the reptifogger while being somewhat cheap is an excellent way to keep your chams hydrated.

Mine, all four, run on a timer and start as soon as the lights come on and run for 60 minutes. Just like the morning dew that most chameleons get their first drink of the day from. The morning dew effect that is artificially created most definitely stimulates my mountain species to drink and hydrates my orchids as well. While I do spray everyday it's not nearly as much as most here. I don't need drainage at all because I dont use excessive water beyond what is needed.
The water droplets after 60 minutes is fairly significant and isn't ever a problem not providing enough water for the chams. If you use a glass terrarium such as exo terra or zoo med it works even better. I wouldn't keep chameleons with out one.

That being said there is a known issue with the fans in those units, and replacements are available through the manufacturer if need be.

Air circulation is important as well if you use these, because over use without air circulation leads to an URI. Knowing the balance of how to use the reptifogger followed by air movement will ensure a quality healthy habitat and chameleons.

Yes, it creates dew, I have one, and use it often for humidity, but you should not have it as the only source of water. It doesn't create enough, and most of it disapates into the air. Try not to be rude and assume they don't have knowledge on it, try asking first.

Sorry let me clarify; Yes, I have one - I do not use it anymore. My humidity stays in the clear for my chameleons without it, and with near the bottom the humidity would be over 90%. Mistings are more than enough humidity for my cages, and it allows them to drink, and clean their eyes out.

The only time my chameleon would actually drink from anything to do with my fogger would be when water would pool enough to drip from it and he'd shoot his tongue at the water. Making this machine a more expensive dripper.

And yes, the fan would get weird every once in a while and make a really awful sound. :rolleyes:

I don't think u should use a reptifogger to hydrate ur chameleons.it all depends what kind of chameleon u have . A reptifogger in my opinion s only needed when u get a cham that needs a lot of humidity like panther envy said a quad or other montane species. And cham Patrick ur rude dude these other members are only trying to help I could of put in addition or what works for me. In a way I think u I are wrong telling the op to use it hydrate his chams. In my opinion only get one if u get a cham that tMy pars and veileds don't need it.cham pat I mean no disrespect we are all trying to help each other I'm no expert but this is what I've learned and works for me.

I don't think u should use a reptifogger to hydrate ur chameleons.it all depends what kind of chameleon u have . A reptifogger in my opinion s only needed when u get a cham that needs a lot of humidity like panther envy said a quad or other montane species. And cham Patrick ur rude dude these other members are only trying to help I could of put in addition or what works for me. In a way I think u I are wrong telling the op to use it hydrate his chams. In my opinion only get one if u get a cham that needs it. Mypanthers and veileds don't need it.cham pat I mean no disrespect we are all trying to help each other I'm no expert t this is what I've learned and works for me.

Even with heavy misting and a dripper I was finding that my adult panthers weren't getting enough water. I had one that was actually dehydrated. I took him to the vet and she wanted me to get the Reptifogger. I can hook it up to more then one cage so I bought 2 and will have all my boys and the oldest girls all serviced by them on a timer. The younger Panthers seem to not be needing so much water yet so I'm going to see how it goes with the rest. The fogger isn't meant to replace the spraying or the dripper, but to increase the humidity. We have the A/C on all the time here in So. FL and it removes the humidity from the air making it pretty dry in the house, same with winter.

I will probably buy another one when I can save up the money unless I can find a used one on Craig's List. A friend of mine has used his for 4 years and it has been running without issue and it humidifies 4 cages so I feel good about doing the same.

There is nothing dangerous about using this piece of equipment and to say you shouldn't use it is strictly up to the needs of the keeper. Montane species especially need a lot of humidity and it is hard to get a lot of humidity even with a mister. The mister works great to get water to your animal but may not supply humidity. I'll keep you posted on the humidity. I have one of those gizmos that measures the humidity.

And cham Patrick ur rude dude these other members are only trying to help I could of put in addition or what works for me. In a way I think u I are wrong telling the op to use it hydrate his chams.

You certainly are entitled to your opinion.

But ,

So many people are just trying to help others here, but their help really is nothing more than their very limited experience based on opinions by other members with no experience. This place is a vicious loop of let me give you my opinion without ANY facts to back their opinions up.

I don't care about opinions. I care about what really works for healthy chams. I care about accurate information. I care about information that is based on multiple variables that have been proven.

Back to the reptifogger, it's a very useful tool.

I find it very useful in a glass enclosure. You can keep the humidity up and the condensation that accumulates on the screen top does drip down like a slow dripper.

In glass enclosures you can use with a dripper and do short micro mistings so that you dont flood the enclosure. The glass have no drains and will collect water from mistings quickly and then spike your RH and unchecked leads to RI and bacteria unless cleaned more often, etc...

Ok unless someone shows u rudeness then go for it,but these guys s info weren't false, maybe being polite.respect ,I came at u that way cuz u came at them that way but in a way I apologized to u by saying I mean no disrespect to u . I'm just a member here and I'm worried that if someone gives his opinion and someone else puts him down he or she will never offer advice in the future even though its limited.

Ok unless someone shows u rudeness then go for it,but these guys s info weren't false, maybe being polite.respect ,I came at u that way cuz u came at them that way but in a way I apologized to u by saying I mean no disrespect to u . I'm just a member here and I'm worried that if someone gives his opinion and someone else puts him down he or she will never offer advice in the future even though its limited.

This is a technical forum, not the general discussion. In here we speak of facts and discuss theory, both require the basic ability to articulate an idea with supporting information. Its greatly lacking here as of late.

IBdragons I get really annoyed when people in a technical forum can't even use basic writing skills to communicate clear thought. Save your texting for your phone.

All screen cages + home made hanging dripper w/ tubing IV style + one humidifier per cage + hand misting 3 times a day + MistKing system for 3 chams.

That's it ;)

bad picture sorry, inside the red circle... thats on lowest setting for 1 minute. plenty of dew from my unit. /shrug

Attachments

• DSC_1076.JPG
    DSC_1076.JPG
    158.2 KB · Views: 266
i would just buy a mist king its only 50 bucks more than the reptifogger and you will know your chams are getting enough water

i would just buy a mist king its only 50 bucks more than the reptifogger and you will know your chams are getting enough water

There is no argument that a mistking is a good purchase, the argument is blanket statements that reptifogger is bad are misleading. A tool for every job, otherwise we would only need hammers to do everything.

I dont mist in glass enclosures, I drip and fog. The condensate from the fogger running on low for long periods of time keeps my humidity in check and creates an augment to the dripper.

The question that was asked was: "Does anyone reccomend a reptifogger? or is it better to mist or have a mister?"

Which to me says they are getting one or the other. Between the two i'd definitely say a mister is money better invested in the long run.

I believe my boyfriend paid $60 for our fogger, the MistKing was $100. I stopped using the fogger due to it was unneeded with my MistKing, and I was concerned with how the fog would affect my chameleons lungs (if you breathe the stuff in, it's very irritating, causes coughing for me!)

Then we got a second chameleon and I was able to run a second hose of my MistKing for very cheap, Rather than buying another fogger ($60). The MistKing setup also comes with a timer in that $100 price, where as the fogger does not - if you want one that's more money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom