Reminder about UVB light, heat, and D3

dodolah

Retired Moderator
I post this Interview excerpts with Frances Baines long time ago.. But, I thought once in a while.. it's good to have a reminder...

Here is a snippet of the interview:

Your comment of “UVB lamps should be positioned over the basking zone” and “D3 synthesis requires warmth” intrigues me. In your opinion, do reptiles have some perception of the presence of uvb and heat as different entities? Or do they assume visible light means warmth and uvb in one. What is the problem, if there is any, from separating uvb to one end and heat bulb to another end?

Dr. Gary Ferguson and his team have done pioneering studies into the reptile "perception" of UVB, working with Panther chameleons. Their carefully designed experiments do suggest that chameleons, at least, can perceive UVB - or at least, perceive locations where there are higher levels of UVB - since, if they are deficient in vitamin D3, they choose to spend longer in these areas.

Chameleons were given the opportunity to choose whether or not to bask under UVB or UVA lamps in an enclosure where both shady and exposed areas were held at a uniform ambient temperature (about 29C). The chameleons were significantly attracted to the light from both lamps, and the vitamin D3-deficient ones were more attracted to the UVB lamps than the UVA lamps.

This does suggest that they are attracted to light even when it is not associated with heat, and that they can perceive UVB as a separate entity from UVA. What exactly do they perceive, though? They can definitely see UVA, but it seems unlikely, given the properties of the reptile eye, that they can actually see UVB. Maybe they can feel it on their skin; maybe the "feel-good factor" humans experience under UVB, possibly linked to endorphin production, is a faded human version of what a reptile experiences?

But can chameleons perceive light and heat as different entities? We can't really deduce that, because this experiment doesn't investigate the chameleon's perception of heat, at all.

I know of very few studies on reptiles where the components of sunlight have been separated out, to see what choices the reptile will make. Since a reptile must maintain its core temperature between very specific limits for life itself, we might hypothesize that if reptiles can distinguish between them, they would select basking spots based upon the temperature there, rather than upon the presence of light or UV light in the area.

One experiment conducted on spiny-tailed iguanas by Dickinson and Fa (1997) showed that these lizards were all significantly more attracted to an incandescent lamp than to a non-light-emitting heat source or a UV tube, which seems to undermine the theory. Unfortunately, the results are not conclusive, because the temperature under the incandescent lamp was hotter than under the non-light heat source, and much hotter than under the UV tube.

More research is needed! However, part of Dickinson and Fa's study clearly showed that when the choice was between the incandescent lamp and the UV tube, the lizards were primarily attracted to the lamp; they spent comparatively little time under the tube.

If we separate our UVB tubes from our heat lamps, then this is an unnatural state of affairs, which requires the reptile to make a choice it would not need to make in the wild. The captive reptile in this situation cannot absorb UVB and bask at the same time. Even if it "knows" it needs UVB, the vital necessity of maintaining a suitable body temperature seems likely to be prioritized over UV absorption, which could well be much reduced as a result. But someone needs to do the experiments, to find out whether this is indeed the case.

Here is the complete excerpt: http://chamworld.blogspot.com/2009/10/dr.html
Mind you.. it is quite a long excerpt..

Last edited:
If we separate our UVB tubes from our heat lamps, then this is an unnatural state of affairs, which requires the reptile to make a choice it would not need to make in the wild. The captive reptile in this situation cannot absorb UVB and bask at the same time. Even if it "knows" it needs UVB, the vital necessity of maintaining a suitable body temperature seems likely to be prioritized over UV absorption, which could well be much reduced as a result. But someone needs to do the experiments, to find out whether this is indeed the case.

Thanks for the reminder, this is good stuff!

Here is the complete excerpt: http://chamworld.blogspot.com/2009/10/dr.html
Mind you.. it is quite a long excerpt..

WOW, Sounds a lot like what I was saying in a certain thread that got locked up...... Maybe this will help those who didn't seem to agree.

Frans, your blog is great! Your interviews with Dr. Baines are priceless. She is a real jewel to the hobby!

That is a hard thing to accomplish (having the basking and tube light together) It would be great if someone could come up with a 2 in 1 fixture. I notice my panther basking under the UVB light for a few hours and then goes under his basking light. They are as close to each other as I can get them.

That is a hard thing to accomplish (having the basking and tube light together) It would be great if someone could come up with a 2 in 1 fixture. I notice my panther basking under the UVB light for a few hours and then goes under his basking light. They are as close to each other as I can get them.

How is this hard? I accomplish this by having the UVB lamp run down the center, or just off center of the cage. Then I use spot or flood style heat lamps. I angle the lamps at a slight angle. The cham's basking spot is then positioned below the UVB lamp. When the cham goes to bask he tilts slightly to get the heat from the lamp and then is washed with UVB.

I will post some photos when I get home from work. I normally remove the clamp part of the fixture for my clamp lights.... but I reinstalled them on some of them so I can more easily angle the light.

How is this hard? I accomplish this by having the UVB lamp run down the center, or just off center of the cage. Then I use spot or flood style heat lamps. I angle the lamps at a slight angle. The cham's basking spot is then positioned below the UVB lamp. When the cham goes to bask he tilts slightly to get the heat from the lamp and then is washed with UVB.

I will post some photos when I get home from work. I normally remove the clamp part of the fixture for my clamp lights.... but I reinstalled them on some of them so I can more easily angle the light.

That makes sense to me, pics would be great!

"If we separate our UVB tubes from our heat lamps, then this is an unnatural state of affairs, which requires the reptile to make a choice it would not need to make in the wild."

The only problem I have with this statement is that the animal would come across different UV levels in nature though. I don't think the separating of the sources would necessarily stress the animal excessively. However, if the heat is required for the UV to be properly used, then that's a completely different story.

Either way I'm no expert and it was just a thought. (I still keep my UV tube with one end close to the heat lamp, and one end towards the other side of cage)

"If we separate our UVB tubes from our heat lamps, then this is an unnatural state of affairs, which requires the reptile to make a choice it would not need to make in the wild."

The only problem I have with this statement is that the animal would come across different UV levels in nature though. I don't think the separating of the sources would necessarily stress the animal excessively. However, if the heat is required for the UV to be properly used, then that's a completely different story.

Either way I'm no expert and it was just a thought. (I still keep my UV tube with one end close to the heat lamp, and one end towards the other side of cage)

There is no intention to hint there is a correlation between stress and separation of uvb and heat in the statement.
I think what she is trying to say is the fact that there is never an occurrence in the wild where the uvb and the heat is separated. Varied levels maybe.. but not devoid completely of each other.

Also, as far as I know, the final stage of D3 synthesis requires heat.

Last edited:

There is no intention to hint there is a relational correlation between stress and separation of uvb and heat in the statement.
I think what she is trying to say is the fact that there is never an occurrence in the wild where the uvb and the heat is separated. Varied levels maybe.. but not devoid completely of each other.

Also, as far as I know, the final stage of D3 synthesis requires heat.

Link

On the link summoner provided it says this...

"When exposed to UVB at wavelengths between 290 - 315nm, this provitamin D, held within the cell membrane, is converted very rapidly indeed to previtamin D3 and accumulates in the skin...Previtamin D3 is then isomerised (transformed by a re-arrangement of atoms in the molecule) slowly, in warm skin, over several hours, to vitamin D3. Warmth is needed for the reaction to proceed at a normal rate."

So my question would be:

Since the Previtamin D3 is made rapidly, and then the isomerisation occurs over several hours of heat. Does this mean that they don't necessarily require both heat and UV at precisely the exact same time.

On the link summoner provided it says this...

"When exposed to UVB at wavelengths between 290 - 315nm, this provitamin D, held within the cell membrane, is converted very rapidly indeed to previtamin D3 and accumulates in the skin...Previtamin D3 is then isomerised (transformed by a re-arrangement of atoms in the molecule) slowly, in warm skin, over several hours, to vitamin D3. Warmth is needed for the reaction to proceed at a normal rate."

So my question would be:

Since the Previtamin D3 is made rapidly, and then the isomerisation occurs over several hours of heat. Does this mean that they don't necessarily require both heat and UV at precisely the exact same time.

Another question, as the caretaker, do we think the chameleon is smart enough to know when to isomerise the provitamin D3 into previtamin D3 to make sure the reaction will proceed at a normal rate? we might never know..
But, my thoughts in this type of situation is to always go back to what the natural environment provide. So, in the end, we go back to Mrs. Baines' point when she explained that having both sources separated is going far beyond the situation the nature intended.

Perhaps, you can elaborate what is the benefit of separating the uvb and the heat to the far corner of the enclosure for the chameleon?

Last edited:

Watch for eye issues, this is not normal as the sun shines down.

Absolutely...
Imagine having someone exposing your eyes daily to this experience:
IMG_2198.jpg

Absolutely...
Imagine having someone exposing your eyes daily to this experience:
View attachment 20299

LOL PERFECT! That is exactly the image in my head when I am trying to explain how silly it is to put lights on the side of cages.

People might look at my free ranges and say 'well you put lights on the side of the free range...' Yes, I do. BUT, they are spot lamps. There would only be glare when the cham is sitting in the light of lamp and this would be what they would experience in nature when basking in the morning and later afternoon. They do not suffer a glaring light once moved away from the basking spot.

And why do people feel the need to seperate the lights? Even after reading what you posted Dr. Baines saying. I guess I would like to hear the logic behind seperating the two light sources. It isn't natural, so why do it?

Another question, as the caretaker, do we think the chameleon is smart enough to know when to isomerise the provitamin D3 into previtamin D3 to make sure the reaction will proceed at a normal rate? we might never know..
But, my thoughts in this type of situation is to always go back to what the natural environment provide. So, in the end, we go back to Mrs. Baines' point when she explained that having both sources separated is going far beyond the situation the nature intended.

Perhaps, you can elaborate what is the benefit of separating the uvb and the heat to the far corner of the enclosure for the chameleon?

Sorry, I didn't explain properly.My linear tube is diagonally across the top of the enclosure with one end near the heat lamp, and the other end at the farthest point away from it. So there's uvb near his heat source, and uvb in other locations as well. I've had this setup because both options are available to my cham.

Sorry, I didn't explain properly.My linear tube is diagonally across the top of the enclosure with one end near the heat lamp, and the other end at the farthest point away from it. So there's uvb near his heat source, and uvb in other locations as well. I've had this setup because both options are available to my cham.

:) With the tube going across diagonally at the top of the cage, it seems to me that you DO have an area where the uvb and the heat are available to him at the same time (And, I bet that's where he usually hangs).

Back
Top Bottom