Recommendations for a Chameleon Novice

iriskai

Hello, all!

I am interested in eventually getting a Chameleon. I've owned leopard geckos and a milk snake (my sister's) so I am familiar with reptiles but the housing and such is ten fold different. I'll also am visiting a nearby reptile show on Sunday to hopefully talk with breeders and get information (I won't be bringing home a Cham this weekend!). There's no rush as there's a monthly expo near me. It's been great to find this forum and read through the old threads.

My question. What smaller species (Rudis size or smaller) would you all recommend? I've had trouble finding information on many other than the larger guys and the Pygmys. I'd like to stay on the smaller scale for space and initial cost purposes since I'm a college student (and already have a large flight cage for my lorikeet in my room) but most sites recommend the Panthers or Veileds to start out with.

Last reptile show I visited I spent a good amount of time talking with a breeder about the Rudis Chameleons and am fond of them. I think based on what information I've looked at so far I'm currently leaning towards a pair.

In regards to housing. What is preferred? Ideally I think I'd like to do a live planted terrarium. Are these difficult to maintain once set up? Would 20-30 gallons be suitable for a pair of Rudis if it had enough planted in it? Should I be looking for a single Cham instead? I need to research the best plants to use but how big of a deal are pesticides with reptiles? I know with my bird I use organic pesticide-free produce (50% of his diet) and everyting else since their systems are so sensitive but I haven't seen much said for Chameleons. UV light won't be a problem as I use UV bulbs already for the bird, though I still need to get the 'supplies'. I have an unused 10 gallon aquarium that I could use as a baby cage but I'll upgrade regardless to something larger/taller.

Sorry this was long! Lots of questions. : ) I like hearing multiple opinions and getting information from those with experience.

Hi welcome to the forum.

Rudis chameleons are going to need a screen cage because they need alot of ventilation they are not that similar to pygmys so screen cage would be best for them.

Another nice small colourful species that I would go for if I wanted something smaller than the usual Veiled or Panther would be a Carpet chameleon or Furcifer Lateralis, they are a very cool species and you should maybe ckeck them out.

Good luck

Welcome to the forum

Hello, all!
There's no rush

This is the correct attitude. Usually dead chameleons are associated with impulse buyer and under research owner

What smaller species (Rudis size or smaller) would you all recommend?
There is a reason behind panther and veiled recommendation.
They are one of the hardiest species that can tolerate beginner's mistakes better. Generally, I would NOT recommend Rudis for starter (or any montane species)..
but, if space is the issues, then Carpet and Jacksons would be the second better choice (However, I am still a bit hesitant recommending them).. because they are a bit more complicated in care compared to veiled and panther. Also, a bit more fragile to changes in environment. So, you are really setting yourself into a hard situation...
Chameleons in general are very meticulous in their care. They need ideal living environment to thrive. Some species more so than the others.
Also always opt for MALE and CB (Captive Born) than WC (Wild Caught).. For the sake of time, just trust me on this.
I'd like to stay on the smaller scale for space and initial cost purposes since I'm a college student.
The space can be tweaked here and there depending on teh species. But, sorry... Chameleon keeping no matter what is an expensive hobby period.

Are these difficult to maintain once set up? Would 20-30 gallons be suitable for a pair of Rudis if it had enough planted in it?
best caresheet for rudis imo.
http://www.rockymountainrudis.com/rudis/care/care_index.htm

Should I be looking for a single Cham instead?
yes. Most chams are solitary. Housing 2 chameleons inside a cage require huge space, money, time, extreme expertise in the chameleon's care, and you should able to notice subtle hints of stress in order to separate them. Something that you does not have at the moment.

I need to research the best plants to use but how big of a deal are pesticides with reptiles?
No pesticides should present ever in chameleon cage or nearby period.

UV light won't be a problem as I use UV bulbs already for the bird, though I still need to get the 'supplies'. I have an unused 10 gallon aquarium that I could use as a baby cage but I'll upgrade regardless to something larger/taller.

Sorry this was long! Lots of questions. : ) I like hearing multiple opinions and getting information from those with experience.

Chameleons require a specific UVB range. I would not recommend giving them the uvb used for your bird for obvious reason; they are not birds.
So far, if i were you, I would really consider getting something else.
Getting them is a huge commitment.. much more than you would think of.
Each species requires different care.. but, one thing for sure they require a LOT of commitment, time, and money.
Are you sure you are ready for this?

If you insist, then the best step is to research like crazy. And, this forum is a great start!
You will see how much a sacrifice you need to make in order to have one in your care. And, you can decide if you are able to meet their needs.

Hope that helps.
Sorry for being such a downer...

Last edited:
Dodolah's given some good information. A few things to look at as general chameleon set-up:
Screen cages: Reptarium is the brand I have and many others have these. They come in several sizes, and are good for chameleons in generally being vertically-oriented. There are other brands, and people with more skill/patience than I also can make their own (browse around in the "enclosures" section for examples). I would avoid the ten gallon tank as a baby/juvie cage, and start straight off with one of the smaller Reptariums. Their ~ 24 inch tall model could last you a while with one of the smaller species.
RE pesticides - the common practice is to buy the cham-safe plants of your choice (Ficus, Pothos and Schefflera are always good), give them a good soaking in the shower to wash off pesticides, repot in fresh soil, and cover the soil with river rocks (allows water to percolate through, but prevents the cham from ingesting soil).
A new, linear (never compact!) Reptisun or Reptiglo 5.0 or 10.0 bulb is good. (For a smaller set-up, I would think the 5.0 should be sufficient, and the 10.0 might be excessive). Bulbs stop emitting UV-B well before they stop emitting visible light, and should generally be replaced every 6 months at the latest.
Watering/providing proper humidity can be the trickiest with chams, since they have no real concept of standing water and will not drink from bowls - water is something that drips from above, and they drink while it's dripping/misting, or more commonly lap it off leaves. Drip systems can be set up pretty easily; pet stores have some that are just small plastic tubs with a spout, or you can put a small hole in any sort of plastic container such that water will drip out throughout the day; this can be set on top of your screen cage, above a plant/plants such that unused water trickles down to water the plant and does not pool in the base of the cage. Misting is very beneficial - I spritz my chams with a hand mister daily - one long spritz in the morning for the panther (~ 15 minutes, + water dripping throughout the day), or a couple shorter spritzes - morning and night - for the pygmies, whose glass enclosure minimizes evaporation.

Hello
Glad to hear you are doing your research well in advance. Taking on a chameleon is not easy, and can be quite expensive, but for me its worth it!
To help with your research, you may like to check out THESE WEBSITES in addition to this very good forum.

I concur that a captive bred male Veiled or Panthers would be the better choice for a beginner.

Thanks for the input, guys. I forgot to mention it earlier but while I would like to own a Chameleon, it's not something I'm about to jump into if I'm not ready. I'll hold off if I can't put together an ideal setup. Thus why I'm doing my research. :)

Priced screen cages today at local shops. Much more reasonably priced than the site I'd seen them on (though I haven't spent much time looking at enclosures yet and I may have just stumbled on a high priced shop). I hadn't planned on keeping a Cham in a 10 gallon if that's what people were thinking.

About the pesticides, thanks for clarifying! That was kind of my assumption but I really didn't find much literature on the subject.

Chameleons require a specific UVB range. I would not recommend giving them the uvb used for your bird for obvious reason; they are not birds.
I meant more along the lines of I'm used to buying special lighting so buying a different light won't be a problem, not "I'm using the things I have already because it's easier". Sorry if it was misunderstood!

Getting them is a huge commitment.. much more than you would think of.
That's a bit of an assumption to speculate that I don't recognize a large time commitment. :) Like I said, there's a REASON I'm researching and asking people's opinions. The cost comment I had made was mostly in regards to the overpriced enclosure I had first found. Looking again and at local shops, the cost for the basic enclosure is much less than I had initially anticipated.

I'll have to read through the websites posted.. thanks so much for the help! I think I'd agree that looking for a single Veiled or Carpet would be best. The Rudis were just the only ones I'd spoken at at any length with someone about. Off to read. :)

Priced screen cages today at local shops. Much more reasonably priced than the site I'd seen them on (though I haven't spent much time looking at enclosures yet and I may have just stumbled on a high priced shop).
Try lllreptile.com
I have never seen anybody sell screen cages cheaper than them.
If you do find one, please inform :)

I meant more along the lines of I'm used to buying special lighting so buying a different light won't be a problem, not "I'm using the things I have already because it's easier". Sorry if it was misunderstood!
Ahh.. ok... Thanks for the clarification

That's a bit of an assumption to speculate that I don't recognize a large time commitment. :) Like I said, there's a REASON I'm researching and asking people's opinions. The cost comment I had made was mostly in regards to the overpriced enclosure I had first found.
I apologized if I sound a bit judgmental.. I have no negative intention.

I think I'd agree that looking for a single Veiled or Carpet would be best. The Rudis were just the only ones I'd spoken at at any length with someone about. Off to read. :)

Happy researching.
Feel free to ask around.
Utilize the search button first though.. as most of the general Qs are probably already asked and answered.
So, searching this forum might gave you a quicker answer.

All the best,

Dodolah

Back
Top Bottom