Receptive Female Chameleons - Educational Video

Great video Dez! What if the male is showing no interest. Ive been breeding Oustalets for a few years now and just got a trio of panthers (2 female, 1 male). One of the females is so ready she was trying to crawl under the male. She's following him around and circling him. If she were human, we could say she was desperate for sex. The male shows no interest, no head bobbing, just swings an eye her way once in a while. I have never had a male Oustalets do anything but go for it. I just joined and trued to use the search function to find more but its not working right on my ipad for some reason. Any suggestions?

I don't know if mine is getting ready to be gravid, she has spots often

I got her in augest not sure how old she is. I thought she was soo cute! I had a male before and didn't know it was female till we got home. I never had a female before this has been a learning experience for me. But I don't know why she gets spots or how to tell if she is really ready. She is still eating regularly so I don't think so.

My female may have already started creating eggs and I have now shown her to her male counterpart and she seems to be fine. Is it too late for them to breed or will only some of the eggs be fertile?

My female may have already started creating eggs and I have now shown her to her male counterpart and she seems to be fine. Is it too late for them to breed or will only some of the eggs be fertile?

First let me ask what breed? How old is she? How much does she weigh?

Panther and she's a year old. I don't have a scale to weigh her. I have all the supplies (nice cage from dragonstrand with a full sized breeding bin). They both seem to be fine in the cage. The male is showing really nice colors (better than normal). The female actually lightened up when I first put him in the cage. Now they are both just sitting on their respective branches. I certainly think shes old enough and I have the right supply. I'm not looking to wait until the last minute when shes absolutely huge and have 30 eggs. I'd rather have her breed while she's a bit younger and hopefully get 5-10 eggs which I could raise. (It would be difficult for me to raise so many). Also I read when she shows a kind of turquoise color it means something and her cheeks lit up with that color when I introduced him to the cage when she lightened up. I've also seen the turquoise when he wasn't in the cage (only recently). If anything the male is showing more signs up discomfort. His chest is a little puffed out but he freaked out when I took him out of his cage so he's still calming down.

He's actually being unresponsive to her. She's very light colored and slightly approached him and he got quite big and moved away. Should I leave them together for a few days and see if they he warms up to her?

He's actually being unresponsive to her. She's very light colored and slightly approached him and he got quite big and moved away. Should I leave them together for a few days and see if they he warms up to her?

I would only leave them together when you are there to keep an eye on them. He could turn on her and hurt her or even kill her. The panther girls are usually a pretty peachy color when receptive.

Yes I have an enormous bin from dragonstrand. I haven't put it under her tank yet because I didn't think she was ready to lay eggs. I also didn't want her to mistake the substrate for her roaches / crickets and get impacted. She hasn't been walking around the bottom of the tank and I didn't breed her with her male yet although she is fat.

Yes I have an enormous bin from dragonstrand. I haven't put it under her tank yet because I didnt think she was ready to lay eggs. She hasn't been walking around the bottom of the tank and I didn't breed her with her male yet although she is fat.

I recommend keeping a laying bin in with them at all times after the age of 5 months so that you don't miss the subtle signs of laying and they become egg bound.
My egg laying blog: https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/jannb/345-egg-laying-laying-bin.html

Thanks for the link. I tried to put her in with the male that I liked so her younger would have the best color but he flipped out at her again. I tried her with another and he flipped out as well. Then I put her in with the biggest of all my chams and he turned a nice color and slowly approached her then she flipped out :mad: . It's a pain trying to get them to mate.

Thanks for the link. I tried to put her in with the male that I liked so her younger would have the best color but he flipped out at her again. I tried her with another and he flipped out as well. Then I put her in with the biggest of all my chams and he turned a nice color and slowly approached her then she flipped out :mad: . It's a pain trying to get them to mate.

If she already has eggs then keep her out of sight of your males. It's to late to mate. You will have to wait until she becomes receptive.

Meaning wait until the next clutch? Also do I want to keep the lights on or off if I have put her in the laying bin to see if she is interested in digging?

Back
Top Bottom