Rate my chameleon's set up.

15856017453196524179670517956682.jpg
15856017899148535210415608738798.jpg
15856018110052586634625159223904.jpg
15856018258536641058314879062257.jpg

Hi and welcome to the forums :) Thank you for posting pictures. If you really want someone to rate your enclosure... I'm going to give it a 2/10. There are MAJOR improvements that need to be made ASAP.

Please answer these questions in as much detail as possible and I'll be able to give you some suggestions for changes you should make to give your chameleon a long and happy life.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

• Your Chameleon - Veiled, Male, About a year, 5 months maybe.
  • Handling - I let him out of his cage x3 everyday to walk around my bedroom floor with supervision and he seems to like it.
  • Feeding - 3 mealworms at night and 3 mealworms during the day.
  • Supplements - I don't know the brand but it has a chameleon on it. It came with my Zoo-Med cage.
  • Watering - I use a plastic water bottle with holes in the bottom filled with ice.
  • Fecal Description - White for the white stuff, and brown for the poop. Was tested at birth, no parasites.
  • History - No history besides one move from Oregon to Oregon.
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Screen.
  • Lighting - Zoo med
  • Temperature - 70-80°
  • Humidity - 60%
  • Plants - Fake plants.
  • Placement -On shelf 3 ft. Off the ground.
  • Location - Oregon

Thank you for answering those questions but I really need more details. Also I know it is a lot of feedback asking for a lot of changes, but without making these changes your chameleon will get sick and will most likely die. I really want to see you get him all the way to a 10/10. I know you can do it :)

• Handling - I let him out of his cage x3 everyday to walk around my bedroom floor with supervision and he seems to like it. I wouldn't handle him more than once a day a few times a week. He probably likes coming out because his current enclosure isn't adequate.
  • Feeding - 3 mealworms at night and 3 mealworms during the day. Mealworms are not recommended for chameleons because their exoskeletons are hard to digest. Dubia roaches, crickets, black solider fly larvae, superworms, silk worms, hornworms, wax worms, are all things you can feed him instead. Please only feed him during the day so he can have time to bask and digest the bugs. Are you feeding the mealworms any fruits and veggies?
  • Supplements - I don't know the brand but it has a chameleon on it. Can you post a picture? How often are you using it? This is SUPER important.
  • Watering - I use a plastic water bottle with holes in the bottom filled with ice. The ice is not necessary. Room temp water should be fine. Do you mist him?
  • Fecal Description - White for the white stuff, and brown for the poop. Was tested at birth, no parasites.
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Screen. What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - Zoo med This is SUPER important. I can tell you don't have the right UVB bulb just by the shape of it in your pics. You want a linear T5 HO (high output) UVB. The one you have now does not give him enough UVB. Without a proper bulb, he will develop metabolic bone disease which is fatal.
  • Temperature - 70-80° What is the temp at his basking spot?
  • Humidity - 60% This is good.
  • Plants - Fake plants. I would recommend adding in live plants. Veileds are known to eat fake plants which can cause impaction and death.
  • Location - Oregon

Few more things to note:
- He needs wayyyyyy more coverage, He is very exposed and doesn't have many branches or plants to thermoregulate or feel safe. It should be hard to find your chameleon.
- That bowl at the bottom is at high risk for developing bacteria. I'd look into making some sort of drainage system. At the very least, make sure to dump the bowl out every day.
- I'd also remove the mossy stuff you have at the bottom unless it is bioactive. Any poop particles left behind with grow bacteria which can make your chameleon sick.

Thank you for answering those questions but I really need more details. Also I know it is a lot of feedback asking for a lot of changes, but without making these changes your chameleon will get sick and will most likely die. I really want to see you get him all the way to a 10/10. I know you can do it :)

• Handling - I let him out of his cage x3 everyday to walk around my bedroom floor with supervision and he seems to like it. I wouldn't handle him more than once a day a few times a week. He probably likes coming out because his current enclosure isn't adequate.
  • Feeding - 3 mealworms at night and 3 mealworms during the day. Mealworms are not recommended for chameleons because their exoskeletons are hard to digest. Dubia roaches, crickets, black solider fly larvae, superworms, silk worms, hornworms, wax worms, are all things you can feed him instead. Please only feed him during the day so he can have time to bask and digest the bugs. Are you feeding the mealworms any fruits and veggies?
  • Supplements - I don't know the brand but it has a chameleon on it. Can you post a picture? How often are you using it? This is SUPER important.
  • Watering - I use a plastic water bottle with holes in the bottom filled with ice. The ice is not necessary. Room temp water should be fine. Do you mist him?
Cage Info:
  • Lighting - Zoo med This is SUPER important. I can tell you don't have the right UVB bulb just by the shape of it in your pics. You want a linear T5 HO (high output) UVB. The one you have now does not give him enough UVB. Without a proper bulb, he will develop metabolic bone disease which is fatal.
  • Plants - Fake plants. I would recommend adding in live plants. Veileds are known to eat fake plants which can cause impaction and death.
  • Location - Oregon

Few more things to note:
- He needs wayyyyyy more coverage, He is very exposed and doesn't have many branches or plants to thermoregulate or feel safe. It should be hard to find your chameleon.
- That bowl at the bottom is at high risk for developing bacteria. I'd look into making some sort of drainage system. At the very least, make sure to dump the bowl out every day.
- I'd also remove the mossy stuff you have at the bottom unless it is bioactive. Any poop particles left behind with grow bacteria which can make your chameleon sick.

Are Crickets good?

I don't have any right now because I need to get more but i'm pretty sure it is this:https://www.google.com/search?q=zoo...ECA4QBA&biw=1600&bih=789#imgrc=nBRpbur_UrhMPM

I mist him with a spray bottle.

16x16x30

I think 70 degrees

I friend of mine who has chameleons recommended it but if there is a way I can make it bioactive please tell me.

I put a piece of wood with screen in the middle attached to some more sticks. Do you have any petco recommendations?

Last edited:
Great! Just an FYI - Petco probably won't have the UVB light you want from him. You're better off ordering it online.

Can you please answer the other questions I asked in red? Then I can help you know if there is anything else you need to get/change.

Great! Just an FYI - Petco probably won't have the UVB light you want from him. You're better off ordering it online.

Can you please answer the other questions I asked in red? Then I can help you know if there is anything else you need to get/change.
How much do they generally cost?

Around $55 for the fixture and $25 for the bulb give or take.

(Just some quick links I found)
Fixture: https://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-2605...ords=24+inch+t5+fixture&qid=1585608463&sr=8-3
Bulb: https://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-Reptisun-T5-Ho-Fluorescent/dp/B00AQU8GF0

Right. I'm very familiar with the chameleon kit. However, it is the wrong kind of UVB bulb. What you have is a COMPACT UVB which doesn't penetrate more than like 3 inches. The T5 LINEAR bulb I'm suggesting penetrates much, much further. Purchasing the chameleon kit is a very common mistake and a very easy way to kill your chameleon. I don't even know why they sell it tbh.

I'm going to link a video where I tested the ultra violet index of a bunch of different UVB bulbs including the one you have now and the one I'm suggesting and you'll be able to see what I am talking about.

I don't have enough money to but it yet, but it is my top money priority. I ordered some vegetation type stuff and a little bridge type thing for chameleons. I will do my best to get Thanos to 10/10! Thank you, again for preventing Thanos from dying.

Can you link to the vegetation stuff you're talking about?

Also I REALLY need you to answer the other questions I wrote in red.

Cage Info:
  • Location - Oregon

Are Crickets good?

I don't have any right now because I need to get more but i'm pretty sure it is this:https://www.google.com/search?q=zoo...ECA4QBA&biw=1600&bih=789#imgrc=nBRpbur_UrhMPM

16x16x30

I think 70 degrees

I friend of mine who has chameleons recommended it but if there is a way I can make it bioactive please tell me.

I put a piece of wood with screen in the middle attached to some more sticks. Do you have any petco recommendations?

Can you link to the vegetation stuff you're talking about?

Also I REALLY need you to answer the other questions I wrote in red.

Cage Info:
  • Location - Oregon
I answered them twice and here is the vegitation https://www.amazon.com/Exo-Terra-Te...ywords=chameleon+plants&qid=1585610705&sr=8-7

Are Crickets good? - Crickets are *fine* but chameleons really need variety. Please consider get the other types of bugs I mentioned up above. And make sure you are feeding them fresh fruits and veggies (this is called gutloading) I linked a video above that covers how to do this.

Good ingredients to use for gutloading: mustard greens, turnip greens, dandelion leaves, collard greens, escarole lettuce, papaya, watercress and alfalfa

Sort of good things to use for gutloading: sweet potato, carrots, oranges, mango, butternut squash, kale, apples, beet greens, blackberries, bok choy and green beans

Bad things to use for gutloading: potatoes, cabbage, iceberg lettuce, romaine lettuce, spinach, broccoli, tomatoes, corn, grains, beans, oats, bread, cereal, meat, eggs, dog food, cat food, fish food, canned or dead insects, and vertebrates

This is super important. Please check if it has vitamin D3. This is just as important as the UVB. You'll need calcium WITHOUT D3, calcium WITH D3 and a multivitamin (I like Reptivite without D3) Also linked a video above that covers this.

Supplement schedule:
Calcium without D3 6x week
Calcium with D3 1x every other week
Multivitamin 1x every other week

16x16x30 This is too small for an adult male. You will need to upgrade him to a 24x24x48

I think 70 degrees 70 degrees is REALLY low for a basking temp. How are you measuring this?

I friend of mine who has chameleons recommended it but if there is a way I can make it bioactive please tell me. I don't keep my chameleons bioactive but if you search the forums for bioactive you'll find some good threads.

I put a piece of wood with screen in the middle attached to some more sticks. Do you have any petco recommendations? I don't shop at Petco for my chams. I'll let someone else comment on that.

Back
Top Bottom