Rare locales?

I once had a guy from the netherlands try to sell me a nosy borah stating it was masoala. He wanted 600 euro for it. dont get me wrong, it was a nice specimen but without a female what would be the point, and how hard would it be to find a female for him? its on his website, www.pardalis.be. he also has some stunning masoala pics, they look exactly like the pics i was sent of the masoala im collecting next week if anyone is interested in taking a look!

Mike @ FlChams has both locales. I acquired a Maroantsetra from him but it died due to a rare skin fungus. He was one of the most fascinating animals that I have seen. I was unable to take pics before he perished but his face and parts of his body had turned powder blue/green. What a loss ;-(.

Attachments

• Ringo.jpg
    Ringo.jpg
    257.9 KB · Views: 263
Ive got a pair of the masoala in the first post now!!! I had to get them imported but worth the wait and money. Will be breeding them in the next few months once they settle properly. pics to follow once i can get some decent ones!

Ive been offered CB pairs of this locale, Nosy Boraha, and Ambatos but if its anything like trying to sell cool Bradypodion there is no sense in me importing them. Id just be stuck with a bunch of dumb paradalis:rolleyes:

Cool Bradypodion? erm....ok if you say so! lol. You have been offered 3 of the rarer panther chameleons and you turn them down, somehow i find it hard to believe but who am i to say, im a noob! lol

What if the locales are constantly changing what keeps a chameleon locale from spreading. What if locales over lap? Wouldn't you constantly get different looking animals what if ten years ago you couldn't find one that looked like that.

Cool Bradypodion? erm....ok if you say so! lol. You have been offered 3 of the rarer panther chameleons and you turn them down, somehow i find it hard to believe but who am i to say, im a noob! lol

Why is it hard to believe someone would turn down a panther:confused: Panthers are boring to me. There are tons of other species way much cooler. Yes, Bradypodion and yes they are much cooler than panthers. What is hard to believe are the prices people will pay for one panther but yet complain about paying the same amount for a pair of really rare, colorful chameleons. I will never get the all the hype about panthers. I kept them, thought they were cool, bred them a few times and thought it very easy but I think the other species are much more interesting. JMO;)

I will have CBs from those locales and Falys from my German friend in the future. Will I keep any, no. Will I sell them for super high prices because people will pay that for them, YES!!

Agreed. Even if i wasnt all into an animal id get the really rare ones due to the demand!

Why is it hard to believe someone would turn down a panther:confused: Panthers are boring to me. There are tons of other species way much cooler. Yes, Bradypodion and yes they are much cooler than panthers. What is hard to believe are the prices people will pay for one panther but yet complain about paying the same amount for a pair of really rare, colorful chameleons. I will never get the all the hype about panthers. I kept them, thought they were cool, bred them a few times and thought it very easy but I think the other species are much more interesting. JMO;)

I will have CBs from those locales and Falys from my German friend in the future. Will I keep any, no. Will I sell them for super high prices because people will pay that for them, YES!!

I agree there are a lot of cool chameleons out there but panthers are 1 of the more popular species because they are relatively easy to keep and offer a huge variety in colouration, unlike most species that are very much the same colour with little variation in most cases. Of course there is the odd few that are somewhat different in colour to the others of the same species but thats quite rare IMO. Ive seen some different coloured calyptratus in my time but very few that i would say were amazing.

How will you get CB Masoala from your German friend? Where do you live? It is impossible to ship from Here to America due to the strict customs regulations in the US, Like i said, theres only 4 of us in Germany who has them so you must be buying them from someone i know!!! lol. I think your going to be waiting a while though as the shipment that recently came in had only young females which is why we have to wait to breed them.

What if the locales are constantly changing what keeps a chameleon locale from spreading. What if locales over lap? Wouldn't you constantly get different looking animals what if ten years ago you couldn't find one that looked like that.

That is a very good point. I was having the same discussion recently when considering the colouration of Masoala. The look similar to Nosy borah what with the grey and whites but have Tamatave reds too. We were saying that it could be highly possible that these were somehow naturally introduced and bred hence producing this locale. They could of course be a natural cross between any of the nearby locales but that could be said for a lot of panther chameleons so who knows what will come from Madagascar in the future.

That is a very good point. I was having the same discussion recently when considering the colouration of Masoala. The look similar to Nosy borah what with the grey and whites but have Tamatave reds too. We were saying that it could be highly possible that these were somehow naturally introduced and bred hence producing this locale. They could of course be a natural cross between any of the nearby locales but that could be said for a lot of panther chameleons so who knows what will come from Madagascar in the future.

Yeah I know, with chondros, they're generally separated by water on different islands. Madagascar is one island with no real way of keeping locales from spreading into other locales. Very interesting I guess time will tell :D

I've done some research into Importing into canada and it seems we literally have to do nothing when it comes to reptiles, I.E Chameleons. If only I could find someone willing to export! :p

I've done some research into Importing into canada and it seems we literally have to do nothing when it comes to reptiles, I.E Chameleons. If only I could find someone willing to export! :p

Canada has no CITES compliance regulations?

Because I'm pretty sure all Chams are CITES listed which normally requires paperwork which can be a PITA.:mad:

It actually sounds much easier than it is. I tried to get some from the US last year, and it was a pain. Never did work out. If you can get some, good luck!:)

Ill export if anyone want them but you will pay for the export and costs etc and do the hard work getting the export liscense sorted out.

Just an update on my Masoala, They are doing fantastic. Female has just gone through a shed. The Male is getting whiter by the day. Today i didnt even recognise him as his colours have changed so much in the space of a week, I was away from home for the last week BTW. They are both eating, drinking and deficating fine, very active in fact. I weighed the Male today too, he is 218g. I didnt measure him as he is a bit grumpy, perhaps about to shed himself too.

Tamatave

Here is a pic of my CH tamatave male. He is now about a year and 7 months old. Here is a pic i took a month ago. He just shed and he is showing unbelievable color. I will post more pics soon but for now, here is an old pic.
Picture067.jpg

hi there noticed our cham ropey who was sold as antahala ,looks similar to one of the chams on the previous page:confused:

Attachments

• pic update 247.JPG
    pic update 247.JPG
    196.1 KB · Views: 190
  • pic update 238.JPG
    pic update 238.JPG
    178.9 KB · Views: 201
Back
Top Bottom