Ran out of food and Dipper is stressing OUT! :(

Willywoa

We ran out of food today and between school and work I wasn’t able to go pick up any crickets. Is there any alternative I can use for the night? He’s all bright green/grey. I read on another thread that brighter colors means he isn’t pleased. Please help, I just want him to live the best life... I got him to come of his house but he just lied down flat on the back of my hand, which he’s never done before. While it was super cute cause he fell asleep, it also worried me cause it’s not what I’m used to him doing. He’s usually very active and he just want to climb up my arms and onto my shoulder to hang out. He just seems so lethargic, I dunno what to do.

Your first priority is to get him to a competent vet, preferably with Cham experience. Once the vet has your Cham stabilized, come back here with the help form completed and we’ll help you correct your husbandry.

Please fill out the “how to ask for help” form and post your answers back here. Quality pictures will help us help you.

Chameleon Info:

◦ Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?

◦ Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?

◦ Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?

◦ Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?

◦ Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?

◦ Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?

◦ History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

◦ Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?

◦ Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?

◦ Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?

◦ Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?

◦ Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?

◦ Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?

◦ Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:

1 The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.

2 Photos can be very helpful.

Uhh, im going to be monitoring this thread. Chams dont "relax and lay down" they get a deathgrip on cloths/stick and go to sleep, and it takes a pry bar to get them off.

But yea skipping a few meals is fine, Ive raise some "once a week" ers when they were adults just fine.

Sorta related, but when a cham passes naturally from old age, do they literally just seem to sit in one spot and then fall off their perch or is that odd? When my first cham passed she was basking one second, fell the next and within 30 seconds of that happening, took her last breath in my hands. Always wondered if that's what happens when they passed naturally, but wasn't able to find any info.

Sorta related, but when a cham passes naturally from old age, do they literally just seem to sit in one spot and then fall off their perch or is that odd? When my first cham passed she was basking one second, fell the next and within 30 seconds of that happening, took her last breath in my hands. Always wondered if that's what happens when they passed naturally, but wasn't able to find any info.

Yup. You will find plenty of heart breaking stories of the owner knowning it was time, and taking them out for sun so they could pass in their hands. They will literally try to chameleon till the last second. A few weeks before food intake will drastically go down, as will the normal patrols around the cage. Then "the week of" they will just stay within a 1 foot area and not eat or anything. They will just hand tight in 1 position for 24-48, and at that point they can not chameleon any longer, and just drop.

Its very similar to the "bearded dragon wind down".

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom