Raging!!!

kirstxblue

Right, so we got the reptibreeze for Calvin after soooo much figgen hassle only to fine it's faulty so needs to go back. And it's to big anyway.
The place we ordered it from have been crap, it's a long ass story so I wont bore you with it but I'm now wondering weather we could just stick with what we've got but make a few changes on it.... Like swap the glass screens for mesh slash netting to make it more airy, add some small real plants and add more vines for climbing. I'll take some pics and post them in just a sec.

I feel like I'm losin the will to live with all the problems since we got her but she is cool as heck and we love havin her, it's just taken away abit of the enjoyment from all the crap the shop told us initially blah blah blah... You get my drift I'm sure!!

Anyway, all input gratefully received!! :)

Thanks in advance.

537c099a.jpg

39597d67.jpg

I wonder, could it be stood on it's side? The size looks good (what are the measurements?) for her if it's vertical instead of horizontal. I would just cut out the top, both sides and put screen instead. And then figure out how to work the door vertically. But it really could work, I think.

is that a red (night) light? you dont need those just do you know. its much better for chams to be in dark. if it gets to cold in your house (50and under) than get a heater :) easy fix. dont be upset i bought one to. lol. you can make what you have work

Yeah we ordered the right lighting to go wiv the reptibreeze but it's gonna have to be changed again, we know what we need to get.

Any more ideas ????

Yeah we ordered the right lighting to go wiv the reptibreeze but it's gonna have to be changed again, we know what we need to get.

Any more ideas ????

I also noticed the red light is in the enclosure. For any future bulbs you have, never put them in the enclosure. They can burn your chameleon.

I am so very sorry for the frustration and I do sincerely understand... I went through the same thing when I got my Chinese Water Dragon by being misinformed.
This is a beautiful enclosure you have and I can see where it could work for what you are needing. I agree with the previous post about turning the enclosure vertically and cutting out the sides for ventilation. You could also cut out what would be the top area and screening it to place your lights. Also the front were the glass is could be taken out and you could replace with a plexiglass door or screened door by affixing small hinges to a frame for it to open and close like a standard door would work. I know it seems like alot of work... Sometimes it is worth the work and other times it can be more hassel... but that is a very beautiful enclosure and it could work. :)
I am currently rebuilding a very large enclosure for my Water Dragon... its been a lot of work but will be worth it in the end to have something beautiful ... just as the beautiful enclosure you currently have.

Hi I'd get rid of the glass and the boards that hold the sliders, turn it on end so it's tall, then fit a new mesh door... Shouldnt be hard, but I had a similar viv that iv just had to replace due to the bottom slowly getting worse and now drips every so often... So make sure u silicone it to high heaven!!! Lol,
Hope that could help
Aaron

I have no idea where you live but you can build a cage for almost nothing. PVC tubing and garden mesh. Put a piece of plastic in the bottom with a few hole for drainage, with a pan or bucket for it to drain into. i can go into more detail. If you need/want more info pm me.

Have u thought about a really cheap flexarium off eBay think they are like 30 quid, they're mesh, meant to be temporary but could help till you sort something better???

It's just abit difficult because Mark works away all week n I work so don't really have loads of time to be buildin stuff. I'm so pissed off with the stupid online shop!!!! :mad: They're really makin me enjoy havin a cham less n less n that's a sad thing init!!! :(

look into replacing the sliding glass doors with plexi-glass/Lexan . You can cut openings out and cover it with mesh. This way it can still function the same way. I would also recommed turning it vertical.

http://www.professionalplastics.com...EET-EXTRUDED?gclid=CJOGr6HPyKwCFRG67QodO2mfrQ
^^ you can actually measure the glass doors itself and have the Lexan "cut to size". So less work for you once delivered.

Im just a lil concerned with wood and moisture/humidity over time.

You need to get airflow that comes from the bottom, through the cage and exits the top.

I have to mention that wood and water are not friends and your chameleon's enclosure is going to get wet. That's another reason switching out as many of those wood panels with metal screen as possible is a good idea. You can leave the glass. Heck, you can leave 3 sides as long as you have one side that's at least mesh on the the bottom half and the top is mesh.

If you are just sure that your wood can stand up to any sort of water, then you could accomplish much of that by drilling lots of holes (not 5 or 6, but 30 or 40) on the bottom of one side and in the top.

That still leaves the problem with the lights. You really do need to get them out of the enclosure. If they aren't out, they need to be caged in a way there's no possibility of the chameleon having access. Perhaps you could add a screen shelf 6 inches from the top of the enclosure and put your lights in the space between the top and the shelf?

You do not need a red light at night. Unless your home gets remarkably cold at night you really don't need heat at all. If it does get really cold, there are heating options that don't add light.

Have u thought about a really cheap flexarium off eBay think they are like 30 quid, they're mesh, meant to be temporary but could help till you sort something better???

This is a very good idea. I use these cages full time. I have for several years. I know people here who've used them for many more years. They are inexpensive, easy to set up and work nicely.

Back
Top Bottom