R.Brevicaudatis mating and egg questions

kdc5019

Okay so the other day I saw my brevs doing the deed. I've done a but of research and I know the incubation period for the eggs is 80-90 days.

I have a few questions for those who have dealt with brevs before.

Do you provide a laying bin?
How many days after she becomes gravid will the female be looking for a place to lay. 30days? Or less?

Thanks!
Kyle

I always just let my females lay in the enclosure. A lot of times they would either choose a corner or next to a plant in the roots to lay.

Carl

All of my brevs were kept in naturalistic terrariums with a healthy layer of dirt and leaves at he bottom. Pygmies will spend more time on the floor level than bigger species of chams and it's very normal. By having them in this type of setup you don't need to worry about a laying bin because the whole bottom is a laying bin. It can be more challenging to find the eggs afterward but it's much more natural for the female. More info on this type of setup can be found on the caresheet: https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/caresheets/pygmy/

Shoot, I accidentally deleted your last post while I was trying to respond. Sorry about that! You were asking about how to tell when she's going to lay and about how long she'll be gravid for.

It's about 30 days from mating. I only ever saw my pygs mate once so the easiest way to tell is to watch the female. As she gets closer to laying she will look like she's getting fatter and fatter and sometimes you can see the outlines of eggs under her skin. And the day after she lays eggs she will look super skinny in comparison. That's when I knew to look for eggs.

Back
Top Bottom