Quikrete premium play sand

Bronxthechameleon

Hello everyone!
Im going to be purchasing play sand for my female veiled chameleon for her laying bin & I just wanted to make sure the play sand I plan on purchasing is okay!

it is: QUIKRETE Premium play sand

I would appreciate any feedback!

Attachments

• B2A410EC-EB65-4DF7-86DF-AB8F0F925223.png
    B2A410EC-EB65-4DF7-86DF-AB8F0F925223.png
    260.3 KB · Views: 118
I got similar at lowes works good and stays moist.... I was surprised it foamed a little when adding water so I rinsed it Has anyone else seen that??

Ok folks, lets go to sand school.

Sand is just crystalline silica in little pieces. Perfectly fine for Mr. chameleon. "First sand" etc is fine for Mr (or Mrs for a certain sand box) right out of the bag.

Butttttttt

"A lot" of sand is not pure first sand. There is not a play sand factory. So "most" of the time the sand in the bad is mixed with sand used for industrial purposes. This is the "bad sand" with particles small enough to be breathable, and the ones OSHA wants you to wear a respirator around.

You can wash your sand just like you do your rice, if you buy a bag of questionable sand. This whole thing doesnt matter to outside sand boxes. But indoors the silica dust causes issues for humans and others.

It has to be silica free. Else you may have respiratory problems if it gets dry.
Sand IS silica. It's the particle size we're concerned about.
IME (2 yrs. in a soil testing lab) the best way to remove the dust is via gradation and washing.

The closest we're likely to come commercially is washed play sand. Look for washed on the label. ;)

Though for lay boxes, the sand is moistened, which should cut down on any dust considerably.

Sand IS silica. It's the particle size we're concerned about.
IME (2 yrs. in a soil testing lab) the best way to remove the dust is via gradation and washing.

The closest we're likely to come commercially is washed play sand. Look for washed on the label. ;)

Though for lay boxes, the sand is moistened, which should cut down on any dust considerably.

I chose that wording because if you google "silica free sand" you get all the child safe versions. They market them as silica "dust" free etc, but "free" seems to be the google key word :p

I chose that wording because if you google "silica free sand" you get all the child safe versions. They market them as silica "dust" free etc, but "free" seems to be the google key word
I’ve used that brand but always have rinsed it well first. If you want you could mix some organic soil into it too.
When rinsing it do you let it dry over night before putting it in your chameleons enclosure? Or do you rinse and then put it in the enclosure right away?

Back
Top Bottom