Quick, help me ID this frog

jamest0o0

Chameleon Enthusiast
Randomly found this frog in our house. No idea how it got there. Wife bought a couple plants a few days ago, wondering if it's local or came in on something. If local, I'll release, if not, I'd like to keep him/her alive!
20210309_183940.jpg

Screenshot_20210309-191356_Google.jpg

I did a Google reverse image search and this is what popped up. Not sure how accurate. 🤷🏻‍♀️

Very cute little guy tho!!

I love amphibians as well! There are quite a few frogs/toads native to Pennsylvania that I know of. Can you get an up close picture, to see it’s toes and patterns and all that more clearly? It could also be a toad but I’m not sure. Also cute little one 😍

Yeah we have tons of wildlife in these woods, I find pretty large salamanders all around our house

I'll get some more pics shortly

Yeah we have tons of wildlife in these woods, I find pretty large salamanders all around our house

I'll get some more pics shortly
Wow I wish I had lots of wildlife around me, hopping usually indicates frog so I’m going with that, you’ll rarely see a toad hop

Definitely seems like a greenhouse frog the more I look it up. No tadpole stage too. How would I go about keeping this? Any thoughts on a simple set up/food/water?

A nicely planted setup with moist substrate works really well, I'm not sure how helpful these pics will be, i kept a few for a short time.

They tend to spend most of their time on the ground, but can climb very well, amazing jumpers too.
0801202150c.jpg

0801202150c~2.jpg

0801202149a~2.jpg

Temps in the 75 to 80 range are just fine, they are pretty bullet proof as far as they go. Some even come in a nice orange color.

Diet is small soft bodied insects. A shallow water bowl for drinking is fine.

I'm shocked you found one in your state. They thrive in Florida and are everywhere. And as their name implies, they are often released into "scaped" greenhouses for their song, and minor pest control. Generally just for their call though.

Last edited:
A nicely planted setup with moist substrate works really well, I'm not sure how helpful these pics will be, i kept a few for a short time.

They tend to spend most of their time on the ground, but can climb very well, amazing jumpers too.
View attachment 295275
View attachment 295276
View attachment 295277

Temps in the 75 range are just fine, they are pretty bullet proof as far as they go. Some even come in a nice orange color.

Diet is small soft bodied insects.

I'm shocked you found one in your state. They thrive in Florida and are everywhere. And as their name implies, they are often released into greenhouses for their song, and minor pest control. Generally just for their call though.
It definitely looks like one, they aren’t native to Pennsylvania which is shocking to me as well.
Definitely seems like a greenhouse frog the more I look it up. No tadpole stage too. How would I go about keeping this? Any thoughts on a simple set up/food/water?
You could definitely keep it! Their call is pretty awesome
https://youtu.be/hCNvmp9ECW4

@Persnickety Parson's is that a giant snail with them lol? This sounds exactly like you describe.

Right now I have him in a protein shaker bottle with wet paper towel. Tomorrow I'm going to get a plastic salad container and throw some leaf litter, sphagnum, and soil from my isopod bin in. I'll add some springtails and dwarf white isopods. Thinking tiny roach nymphs for feeders, but I don't want them to attack the frog either(don't think they would, but who knows).

Should I use like a lid or something for water, and is purified drinking water fine? I've heard distilled is no good for amphibians.

Thank you so much everyone

Back
Top Bottom