Quick, help me ID this frog

Should I use like a lid or something for water, and is purified drinking water fine? I've heard distilled is no good for amphibians.

Thank you so much everyone

I use Gatorade caps for water dishes for those guys. "Spring water" is perfect.

@Persnickety Parson's is that a giant snail with them lol? This sounds exactly like you describe.

Right now I have him in a protein shaker bottle with wet paper towel. Tomorrow I'm going to get a plastic salad container and throw some leaf litter, sphagnum, and soil from my isopod bin in. I'll add some springtails and dwarf white isopods. Thinking tiny roach nymphs for feeders, but I don't want them to attack the frog either(don't think they would, but who knows).

As for the snail, it snuck in on the substrate. I wouldn't say they are giant, but rather those frogs are tiny lol

The frogs aren't territorial so you can have a small group if you want.

Time to get a drosophila hydei colony going. :p

how come every time I buy a plant at Home Depot all I get is a plant :(
Move to Florida, lizards just pop out of the ground, I suppose you could order from a Florida greenhouse if you want to "gamble" lol

Can I feed them anything other than fruit flies lol

Yes, spring tails, baby roaches, baby crickets, and various maggots, they will eat nearly anything that moves. D hydei is the perfect size for them, but variety is the spice of life.

They eat a lot for their size so keep that in mind. I fed every other day or every two days.

But that's my limit of experience with them.

I only had them for a month before I put them back since moving with them was not in the cards.

Last edited:
Definitely seems like a greenhouse frog the more I look it up. No tadpole stage too. How would I go about keeping this? Any thoughts on a simple set up/food/water?
The ol Google mightve been right.. I did a couple more searches and it keeps popping g up green house or Rio grande chirping frog.

Sounds good TY. Right now hes in a medium size airtight Tupperware container with a little hole for ventilation, but to keep it humid. Put a cap of spring water, some soil and springtails, and several tiny shadow roach nymphs. Have wet paper towel for a hiding spot too. All temporary to hold him over until I can set up something a little nicer.

Oh and any thoughts on giving him supplements lol, might be difficult with how small they are.

Sounds good TY. Right now hes in a medium size airtight Tupperware container with a little hole for ventilation, but to keep it humid. Put a cap of spring water, some soil and springtails, and several tiny shadow roach nymphs. Have wet paper towel for a hiding spot too. All temporary to hold him over until I can set up something a little nicer.

Oh and any thoughts on giving him supplements lol, might be difficult with how small they are.

D Hydei is easy to dust for supplementation.

I've never raised them, would have to look into it. In the meantime I have roaches, springtails, and isopods. Would it be smart to dust at every feeding calc? D3? Vit?

There seems to be zero information on keeping these as pets lol.

Yeah I often dusted once every two weeks, with calcium/vit for all I know that is either too much or too little. Id assume babies would need more.

D hydei is very easy to raise, I really need to get them going again, especially since they have ready made diets for them.

So I put him in a salad container, seems to be fairly good size considering how small the frog is. Haven't seen him/her eat, but it seemed like the little shadow roach nymphs were disappearing along with the springtails. I added a bunch of tiny garden snails(figure that's calcium if he eats those), dwarf white isopods, springtails, and shadow roach nymphs(very tiny). Gave him a larger water dish, some cork bark, magnolia/oak leaves, and a dirt mix I had in with my isopods. Keeping it humid and moist. Hoping he's able to sustain himself off all the bugs In there.

I'll have to get some pics...

So I put him in a salad container, seems to be fairly good size considering how small the frog is. Haven't seen him/her eat, but it seemed like the little shadow roach nymphs were disappearing along with the springtails. I added a bunch of tiny garden snails(figure that's calcium if he eats those), dwarf white isopods, springtails, and shadow roach nymphs(very tiny). Gave him a larger water dish, some cork bark, magnolia/oak leaves, and a dirt mix I had in with my isopods. Keeping it humid and moist. Hoping he's able to sustain himself off all the bugs In there.

I'll have to get some pics...

Yes you will.

These guys generally do their eating at night time. If you want to watch them, red led flashlights work well for not disturbing them. If your lucky your frog will get active around dusk.

If I remember right, frogs usually need some sort of vitamin A supplement, if they're not offered vertebrate prey. Maybe that's only dart frogs, though...

Back
Top Bottom