Quick and easy cage cleans?

ElliotG

Chameleon Enthusiast
I’m just in need of a few ways to clean a cage quickly and easily with chameleons inside cage.

I injured myself badly yesterday and unable to use my left arm since it’s in a sling and half of my left hand is numb along with other issues. It’ll probably be a long healing process, so I won’t be able to really get in and clean my chameleons cage for around a month. I have to lift plants out and change paper towels while spraying down and wiping.

Is there anyway I can keep it clean and sanitary? I could get the chameleons out if needed. But I’d rather keep them in their cage while I clean. If I step wrong or accidentally turn my arm it hurts, so I wouldn’t want to accidentally injure a chameleon in the process of moving it. Sounds stupid but I wouldn’t want to drop a chameleon while in pain or do something else.

Thanks for any advice.

Oh boy! I’m so sorry! I hope your arm gets better soon! I think I would for the time being just keep changing the paper towels in the bottom and try to clean the feces off the plants and call it good until your arm is better and you can do a full deep clean. I don’t know of any cleaner you can use while the chams are in their cages.

It shouldn't be too difficult talking from experience, my suggestion would be to stagger the cleaning, start with the plants, then the paper towel and then the wipe down once it's apart and then put it all together again. It also depends on the enclosure setup, most of the enclosures I've had I can clean properly with one hand. The most difficult parts have been on parts that move freely like glass doors. But I've also had a fair amount of experience with getting by with one hand due to injuries, a total of 2 years of living with one functional hand and arm due to three separate injuries. At first it sucks because it highlights how much you use both hands without actively thinking about it, but you'll quickly adapt to using one hand. As an added bonus, if it's your dominant hand that is immobilized, you get to learn to be ambidextrous.

Oh boy! I’m so sorry! I hope your arm gets better soon! I think I would for the time being just keep changing the paper towels in the bottom and try to clean the feces off the plants and call it good until your arm is better and you can do a full deep clean. I don’t know of any cleaner you can use while the chams are in their cages.
It shouldn't be too difficult talking from experience, my suggestion would be to stagger the cleaning, start with the plants, then the paper towel and then the wipe down once it's apart and then put it all together again. It also depends on the enclosure setup, most of the enclosures I've had I can clean properly with one hand. The most difficult parts have been on parts that move freely like glass doors. But I've also had a fair amount of experience with getting by with one hand due to injuries, a total of 2 years of living with one functional hand and arm due to three separate injuries. At first it sucks because it highlights how much you use both hands without actively thinking about it, but you'll quickly adapt to using one hand. As an added bonus, if it's your dominant hand that is immobilized, you get to learn to be ambidextrous.
Thank you two for advice. Problem is the napkins are stuck under some heavy plants. I’m thinking of ripping the napkins from under the pots and replacing them. Along with spot cleaning.

luckiky it’s my non dominant arm and hand that’s immobile, I’m already ambidextrous from being a musician lol! I can’t do heavy lifting since I also injured my head and it makes me light headed and can’t bend in certain ways either. Just a load of injuries at the moment.

I’ll see if I can use vinegar with the chams in their cage. If not I’ll try to find something.

Life does suck with one arm though lol! Teaches you to not take things for granted.

Do you have someone that can help you? I’d say move the plants in a way that makes it easier to spot clean around them. If you have a really awesome helper, I’d suggest making your enclosure bioactive. It’s really much easier than it appears.
I might be able to convince my mom to help. I’ll have to ask her, she’s helped me before but not with cleaning. I sometimes ask her to hold my reptiles while I’m cleaning so I don’t have to worry about watching them.

I’ve been looking into going bioactive actually! We’re doing housework on a room and then plan to move them back into a spare bedroom, they’re currently in the living room. So I’ll try and get started on that when they’re in the spare bedroom so we don’t have to worry about moving too much stuff when moving them. If that makes sense.

I’ve been looking into going bioactive actually! We’re doing housework on a room and then plan to move them back into a spare bedroom, they’re currently in the living room. So I’ll try and get started on that when they’re in the spare bedroom so we don’t have to worry about moving too much stuff when moving them. If that makes sense.
Having just done the same, with more than half of my reptiles already in bioactive enclosures, it makes perfect sense.

Just wanted to update. We successfully cleaned the cages, my mom was a huge help! We even redid zeppelins cage and got rid of his hammock finally!
98819E09-B040-4F4E-8CB1-C8E7152F31FA.jpeg 12A08308-B74F-4A27-B71A-F0E5A972452C.jpeg
He’s exploring it and I think it’s better for his little feeties.

Hopefully the next thing will be the fake plants. Been looking around for plants and just come up unlucky. He’s got a dracauna and a money tree. Just need some strong hanging vines and bushy plants.

I had such a hard time this summer finding suitable plants for Eustis’s cage as well. The only 3 foot tall tree I could find was a mass cane and I don’t like the thing at all. As soon as I can find a ficus Benjamin a this thing is going away! i did find a couple pothos and two money trees and two schefflera but none were very tall at all!

I had such a hard time this summer finding suitable plants for Eustis’s cage as well. The only 3 foot tall tree I could find was a mass cane and I don’t like the thing at all. As soon as I can find a ficus Benjamin a this thing is going away! i did find a couple pothos and two money trees and two schefflera but none were very tall at all!
I’ve been looking for pothos too! No luck.

I might be able to convince my mom to help. I’ll have to ask her, she’s helped me before but not with cleaning. I sometimes ask her to hold my reptiles while I’m cleaning so I don’t have to worry about watching them.

Try the bioactive throw you some magnolia/oak/maple leaves in and some isopods and let them clean!!!
And I’m so sorry about the injury. Praying for a quick recovery!

Try the bioactive throw you some magnolia/oak/maple leaves in and some isopods and let them clean!!!
And I’m so sorry about the injury. Praying for a quick recovery!
That was months ago, I’m somewhat fully recovered lol!

Back
Top Bottom