Question on natural sunlight

Thompson

Chameleon Enthusiast
Hello I was wondering what type of weather conditions you have to have in order to take your chameleon outside for some natural sunlight. I live in las vegas and right now it's pretty sunny but a little chilly( it's about 50f outside) could I take my chameleon outside with it in it's cage and have a basking light on for extra heat?

Hello I was wondering what type of weather conditions you have to have in order to take your chameleon outside for some natural sunlight. I live in las vegas and right now it's pretty sunny but a little chilly( it's about 50f outside) could I take my chameleon outside with it in it's cage and have a basking light on for extra heat?

you could...... but the wind will cut right through the cage.... I would put plastic up on the back and sides of the cage but leave the front uncovered for the most part.... and angle that side at the sun. you could use a heat light as supplemental heat... Just don't let the heat light create a shadow.

One other thing.... midday sun has a lot of UVB. even in winter it is kinda strong compared to the lighting you give him in his cage. So he might want to hide from it when he has had enough. So keep an eye out. if he is goes for shade it'll be too cold for him....

I a assuming you have a veiled or panther.... other species... it might depend... but as long as the basking spot is warm most will bask because the ambient is cooling them down.

when I had my veileds outside they would bask most of the day.... and it was in the 50s

Back
Top Bottom