Question about cut on dogs head

Rocky

Established Member
I'm not sure how many people here will have a lot of knowledge in this, but over the weekend my Doberman girl decided that she did not like the yard anymore while she was outside (she goes out for about an hour during the morning and another hour at night before bed and stays inside the rest of the time) and she tried to go under the fence.

Wellll, she didnt make it under the fence, but she now has a hole in her head that is oozing and and a scrape down the rest of her head to her nose. I am having a huge problem keeping the bandage on her head and I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on how to bandage a dogs head.

I am wrapping it in like a figure 8 around her ears and then up to right above her eyes. The main hole that is oozy is right in the middle and the bandage seems to keep riding up so its not covering it as much as i'd like.

I am trying to keep it covered with neosporin and i am cleaning it out about 5 times a day just in case anything gets in it. It is closing up now but she seems to be in pain because she just mopes around all day now and hasn't wanted to go for a run or anything.

Also, she is on anti biotics that i had left over from my goats so that side of it is being taken care of.

Someone mentioned superglueing it to me at work. Is that a bad idea? I figured it couldnt help it heal. Its nothing that needs stitches, but it needs to be covered up imo.

Is it coming off because she is getting it off? If so it may have a better chance if you can make 1 of those plastic funnels around her neck to stop her rubbing it off.

I am not sure about superglue...what about those little butterfly bandaids that they use on boxers with the bandage over the top. If that isnt working a trip to the vet maybe in order especially if she is moping and in pain...silly girl :(

Antibiotics left over from a goat? Do you know what the dosage should be and if the antibiotic is even effective for cuts vs other use? It may need to be seriously cleaned and drained if it is a deep cut, and maybe stitched by the way it sounds-the infection could spread and it is not in a good place for that. IF she isn't acting right please take her to the Vet.

the anti biotics i am giving her is clavamox which is the same as a human augmentin. We use it on the goats when we turn baby boy goats in wethers. The dosage is 250 mg and I was already told by the vet that it is fine. The cut isnt that deep I just cant keep it covered. She hasn't really tried to move the bandage that much it just seems to slip even when I taped it.

She is acting a lot more like herself today. We went running this morning and she didnt act like it was bothering her. My neighbor (a livestock vet) is going to drive by today on his way to work and see if he thinks she needs stitches or if it needs to be drained.

Back
Top Bottom