Quadricornis Cold Tolerance

Ilike4hornedchams

Established Member
Ok, so I have two 6+ month old quad girls. And when I got them they were just too small to let them live outside so I keep them in glass for the super high humidity and keeping temps cool. However I also am introducing them regularly to the temps outdoors here in norcal. I have read from several sources that these chams (since they are from mountainous areas) can handle temps down to just about freezing ~35 degrees F as long as they can warm up during the day.
Last night I let them stay outside, as i sometimes do for like 6-18 hour exposures to the outdoors but it got (Super surprisingly) waaaay down to just 42 degrees! This morning they showed a lot of retained water in their gulars and one had fallen off her plant and was acting frozen! I freeeeaked out and rushed them inside to warm up in their enclosures. They are both alive and well and the gulars looks normal again already but it gave me a big scare and I just wanna say that as I am kinda doing a climate study for them. Because I am hoping to be able to keep them outside here on the SF peninsula most the year long. Once they are 9+ months old I will be able to let them live out there but I think from this experience I would not leave them out there if it goes even below 50 degrees, so I will keep you all updated but I just don;t think 42 is healthy for them. It must be hard on their systems. (Keep in mind the climate here is very nice for them for most the year, I am not crazy They like 60-70 a lot) Anyway if you think Quads/Graciliors are amazing let me know because I am trying to nail down what their preferred climate.

(Look hot hot these babes are tho lol)
20170116_101353.jpg
20170116_142354(0).jpg
20170117_184335.jpg

I recently left my veiled out one night when the temps dipped 10F lower than expected. I woke up at 3:00 a.m. and it was 42F. I brought him in the house and he was so cold, like your two GRACILIOR girls ;) he was so cold he couldn't move. I propped him up inside a box with some branches. Next morning, he was fine. I think temps that immobolize them are too cold. I don't think it will do any harm, but I don't think it is good for them to be so cold they can't move or hold a branch.

Back
Top Bottom