Quad bulb vs dual bulb fixtures

Hey everyone! So I am going to be buying a new lighting fixture for Winstons cage soon and I can't decide between a quad bulb fixture and a dual bulb fixture. Does anyone on here have any pointers for me? I want it to be bright but it doesn't have to be ridiculously bright. Just trying to find out if spending the extra money on a quad is worth it. Also if anyone has had both, what was the difference in your electricity bill and heat output?

Hey everyone! So I am going to be buying a new lighting fixture for Winstons cage soon and I can't decide between a quad bulb fixture and a dual bulb fixture. Does anyone on here have any pointers for me? I want it to be bright but it doesn't have to be ridiculously bright. Just trying to find out if spending the extra money on a quad is worth it. Also if anyone has had both, what was the difference in your electricity bill and heat output?
I run a quad unit with 1 uvb 1plant pro bulb and two daylight bulbs. I really like how well it lights everything up and my plants are thriving. The plant bulb is not bright like the others. As far as heat it is 90 degrees 1 inch below the screen top. I really have not seen a huge difference in my bill since I got my unit.

I run a quad unit with 1 uvb 1plant pro bulb and two daylight bulbs. I really like how well it lights everything up and my plants are thriving. The plant bulb is not bright like the others. As far as heat it is 90 degrees 1 inch below the screen top. I really have not seen a huge difference in my bill since I got my unit.
Nice! Is the plant pro bulb one of those bulbs that gives off a purple-ish light?

Cool so how noticeable is the purple in the cage with the other 3 bulbs on at the same time?
Not noticeable at all. If I didn't know it was in there I would never be able to tell by looking at it. I like that the quad provides a good amount of lighting all the way down to the bottom of the cage as well. Seems like the single or dual fixtures do not do this as well.

Well I really like the arcadia brand bulbs that light your reptiles sells. They only have to be replaced ever 12 months. Do a 6% uvb bulb for him. :)
The only thing I know about fixtures from reading on here is that the Sunblaze fixtures do not sit flat on the cage top so you have to do some macgyvering to it. Be sure that whatever you buy has a good reflector in it. I found some other places but they were plastic which does not reflect the light down.

Well I really like the arcadia brand bulbs that light your reptiles sells. They only have to be replaced ever 12 months. Do a 6% uvb bulb for him. :)
The only thing I know about fixtures from reading on here is that the Sunblaze fixtures do not sit flat on the cage top so you have to do some macgyvering to it. Be sure that whatever you buy has a good reflector in it. I found some other places but they were plastic which does not reflect the light down.
I will probably be ordering one later today! Just out of curiosity why should I go with the 6% and not the 12% though?

I will probably be ordering one later today! Just out of curiosity why should I go with the 6% and not the 12% though?
So it is my understanding that Panthers need a lower UVI level which is what the bulbs produce. I have always read that you should have a 5.0 or 6% Arcadia brand. It will also depend on how planted out your enclosure is though and how far away from the light you have your basking level. I would imagine that is the same with a Panther. Let me tag @Matt Vanilla Gorilla @JoshD49 @SharpShooter they all have Panthers and know them inside and out. 6% or 12% uvb in a quad lighting fixture for an Ambilobe Panther?

So it is my understanding that Panthers need a lower UVI level which is what the bulbs produce. I have always read that you should have a 5.0 or 6% Arcadia brand. It will also depend on how planted out your enclosure is though and how far away from the light you have your basking level. I would imagine that is the same with a Panther. Let me tag @Matt Vanilla Gorilla @JoshD49 @SharpShooter they all have Panthers and know them inside and out. 6% or 12% uvb in a quad lighting fixture for an Ambilobe Panther?
As you've already said, it does depend on a number of factors. How far from the higher basking branches, how much plant cover etc. The screen top takes away a large percentage of available UV before you get into that.

As a general rule of thumb, most people are good with the 6% and unless there's something in your particular setup that warrants 12%, 6 is probably going to work. (They also now have 14% for beardies and other dessert dwellers).

The only way to know for certain is measuring with a solar meter in that setup.

The Arcadia T5HO units are the dogs whatsits though and you won't go wrong with them.

Question about your quad light setup.
Will any quad T5 fixture work? Just making sure to get the correct bulbs?
I'm looking at this one on Amazon. I already have the UVB bulb (T5)

We have a 5-6 mos old male Ambilobe. Moving him into his bigger cage.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01714XD1K/ref=psdc_2975458011_t2_B01714RE7O

Thanks!
Looks very similar to my set up. The only thing I am not certain of is the reflector. Might want to do your own thread so that others can chime in. :)

Not entirely correct there. Sunblaze sits flat, sunblaster does not. Two different products entirely lol. Sunblaster has a "hump" that sits into the top of their seedling tray. The jump start version doesn't have the hump from what I've experienced. Both the jump start and the sunblaster have pretty good reflectors for being coated plastic. Sunblaze, with the exception of the "supreme 21 and 41", are all metal body fixtures and have great reflectors.

Back
Top Bottom