Q? About dubia nymphs

Brentholey

Established Member
So does anybody know what the difference is between these nymphs? I’m guessing male/female? It’s obvious they are differently shaped, one has a wider body than the other. The wider ones seem to have less guts to them or a flatter abdomen. I’ve noticed this in my roaches at all sizes from about 3/8” and up. If it is a difference in sex I’m interested to know so I can better select which to feed off and which to keep for breeding. Thanks!
96875AD6-634B-4592-B55A-67AC27319FA3.jpeg
AD90446F-8FD1-4C99-8361-C141CDFEDB54.jpeg
9FA988E6-6B2B-48C1-8424-C82778BC284D.jpeg

I to would guess the wider ones are the females. I have only had my colony going for a couple months so not positive.

Bill

So does anybody know what the difference is between these nymphs? I’m guessing male/female? It’s obvious they are differently shaped, one has a wider body than the other. The wider ones seem to have less guts to them or a flatter abdomen. I’ve noticed this in my roaches at all sizes from about 3/8” and up. If it is a difference in sex I’m interested to know so I can better select which to feed off and which to keep for breeding. Thanks!View attachment 247912View attachment 247913View attachment 247914
I **THINK** based on those pics they are both males. The way to sex them as nymphs is their last body segment. The little "indentions" are for wings to grow. At least that's what I was taught.

Edit: I'll just hush and post this link:

https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/sexing-dubia.66422/

Best wishes!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom