Pygmy Enclosure

Brad Ramsey

Retired Moderator
Just for fun our two year old and I made a project of creating a brev enclosure today.
I have an 18x18x24 exo terra we weren't using for anything so ...
We followed Tom's tutorial on ChameleonNews with one substitution, I broke up old terra Cotta pots instead of trying to locate hydroton.
It was really fun!
For now we will just grow the plants and continue researching and learning about pygmies.
Here are a couple of pictures.

-Brad

Last edited:
Cool beans! It's nice to see how thickly planted yours is - a friend had promised me some plants for mine. Today, we went down to the greenhouse, and she gave me so many plants and cuttings, it'll be hard to make room for the chams! I'm looking forward to setting them all up tonight.

Anyone know where a care sheet for pygmys could be found?

and how difficult are they to care for...just looking to get a new member to the cham family :eek:

Looks great Brad! I love the terra cotta pots idea too, I always have a bunch of broken pieces left over when making caves for my cichlids.

I have a question about live plants in the pygmies enclosure: How do you keep them alive with the pygmies low lighting requirements?

hi man
I also have a couple of rhampholeon brevicaudatus and now I have found 5 eggs....

next time I ll post the set up photos

addicted;162787 I have a question about live plants in the pygmies enclosure: How do you keep them alive with the pygmies low lighting requirements?[/QUOTE said:
I think it is generally recommended to use a 2.0 or used 5.0.
Both of these would put off a good amount of light in the terrarium.
I am using a used 5.0.
Also, I am using houseplants that would likely grow low in the forest anyway.
There are a couple species of fern in there, pothos, an ivy, etc ... not plants that need a lot of light.

-Brad

Fine.
Time will tell though, not a lot of water has made it to that layer (maybe a teaspoon total).
Should work.
I ended up buying some hydroton when I found it ... will use for future enclosures.

-Brad

Here are some pictures of the new (more arboreal) pygmy enclosure.
Tristan (our youngest son, he's 2 and a half) and I finished construction today.

-Brad

Last edited:
Nice! I was actually thinking about getting on of those screen tops too! Is it harder to keep the humidity up having it so open like that?

Back
Top Bottom