Pygmy Enclosure

And when are you going to put some pigs in there? Looks like there is lots of room.

Ha ha!

In the end there will be a couple of different species involved in my pygmy project.
I have been very busy doing research and running the environments with plants only, to make sure proper temperature gradients, humidity and air flow are in place before introducing the animals.
The first group (R. spectrum 1.3) is scheduled to arrive at the beginning of next week and will inhabit the more arboreal enclosure, so I have a few more days to tweak that environment.
The exo terra enclosure that has been up and running for a couple of weeks longer will eventually house a small group of R. brevicaudatus.
I think a key element to success with these kinds of projects is to take the time to get everything as close to ideal as possible before acquiring the chameleons.
Half the fun is preparation and anticipation!;)

-Brad

Brad, what made you want the Pygmies?

Interesting question.
I have been working with the veiled chameleons for quite awhile and will continue with them, but was a little itchy for a new project.
I wanted to work with a species that was completely different and could live on the lower shelves of my set up where I don't really feel veileds would appreciate being housed.
Those reasons and the ability to house small groups together, plus their modest space requirements, were all factors that contributed to this decision.
Let's not forget their intrinsic "neatness";)

-Brad

edit: I am obtaining all of my dwarfs from Mike Monge (Flchams)

Oh, thats cool! Are you going to try to breed them? I know they will by themselves but are you possibly going to get more and breed them like big time? Or no :(

I would love to experience some success breeding them.
I don't know about doing anything with chameleons "big time"
There is a fine line between fully exploring and enjoying a hobby and creating "work" for yourself!
I intend to keep my chameleon projects at an "enjoyable" level.

-Brad

hm.. youre putting the specs in the more aboreal cage? thats interesting for the most part i thought they were considered pretty terrestrail. anyways neat set up! :)

hm.. youre putting the specs in the more aboreal cage? thats interesting for the most part i thought they were considered pretty terrestrail. anyways neat set up! :)

Thanks.
Can you source your information?
Mine comes from keepers I know who have bred and kept them.
They are a larger species and from what I know about them so far, more arboreal than the brevicaudatus.
You will notice that the enclosure offers the best of both worlds;)

-Brad

actually that was the feeling i got from reading about them in "stump-tailed chameleons miniature dragons of the rainforest" the only aboreal species i beleive was Brooksia Ebauni. i think thats the spelling. i actually have a pair of specs too, one just laid an egg! and i think she may have laid more today, i saw a little clump of dirt piled up lol. people may keep them in captivity one way, but it seems in the wild they were pretty close to the ground. (small bushes and leaf litter)

p.s i think that your aboreal cage looks good, and pretty much is terrestrail too ( yours could definetly be considered "bush" sized). sorry about misspelling.

Last edited:
Brad,

Tom's articles really are still some of the best for pygmy care and cage design. Here is his cage building article for anyone interested: http://www.chameleonnews.com/?page=article&id=63

When I couldn't find the hydroton balls, I've used lava rocks purchased from home depot. Works fine too.

The more arboreal cage like you have is better for Rh. spectrum then the typical R. brevicaudatus enclosure in my experience. I actually have a custom arboreal Rh. spectrum tank that Tom made and gave me. Its a 20 gallon tank with a custom made top attachment that doubles the size of the enclosure. The top attachment is basically a screen cage like what FL Chams sells except it has no bottom and sits perfectly inside the lip of the 20 gallon tank's rim. The back and two sides are solid pieces so that Tom could attach cork siding and then the front is two screen doors that open like french windows. The top is of course screen as well. I don't have Rh. spectrum in it currently but its a great tank.

Chris

Thanks Chris!
Tom is actually the person who gave me the advice on constructing the enclosure I have created for them.
I am excited for these animals to arrive ... the shipment has been delayed, but that just gives me more time to get things ready.

-Brad

Brad,

Tom's articles really are still some of the best for pygmy care and cage design. Here is his cage building article for anyone interested: http://www.chameleonnews.com/?page=article&id=63

When I couldn't find the hydroton balls, I've used lava rocks purchased from home depot. Works fine too.

The more arboreal cage like you have is better for Rh. spectrum then the typical R. brevicaudatus enclosure in my experience. I actually have a custom arboreal Rh. spectrum tank that Tom made and gave me. Its a 20 gallon tank with a custom made top attachment that doubles the size of the enclosure. The top attachment is basically a screen cage like what FL Chams sells except it has no bottom and sits perfectly inside the lip of the 20 gallon tank's rim. The back and two sides are solid pieces so that Tom could attach cork siding and then the front is two screen doors that open like french windows. The top is of course screen as well. I don't have Rh. spectrum in it currently but its a great tank.

Chris

Could we maybe see some pictures?

Hi,

somebody in Germany uses nearly the same enclosures for Ch.t.montium with good success.
He uses an old fish tank as the bottom part, where the humidity was very high and a at the top he has a kind of extra tank made of screen

Beautiful condos Brad!
How can you be so patient waiting for your new tenants? (obviously not ADD like me!):D Are they HERE yet?
I see you got the topper (I found the grid a little large. Of course YOU may like lots of little escapees bouncing around your room, giving your home that forest floor feel, and sound):rolleyes:
My home-made job may be rustic but it keeps the beggars inside, (until I go and spill 'em myself)

Back
Top Bottom