Pure Breed vs. Morph

Well, In all seriousness, If you create a new "breed" which is totally possible of all yellow and purple panthers that all turn blue when they fire up or smething different or special, then you exclusively own something pretty amazing that only you can sell for a while and chameleon owners will be all over it so long as you can justify yourself with a new name. Some people still wont like them.. until they see them for themselves and see them as special and exagerated versions of the very same reasons which attracted them to chameleons in the first place. IT's already being worked on- You know why? $$$

"IT'S" being worked on,as we speak? Gasp! It's all about money?
I find animals pretty spectacular on their own and find it amusing people think they can come up with something better. I have been and always will be in awe of these wonderful creatures and will keep mine as pure as I can. I feel lucky to have the privilege to work with them. This is of course my lowly opinion and am not looking to recruit members to be on my team.

KTown -

1. I completely prefer pure bred locales over any cross bred animal. While I will admit that a few crosses I've seen have been impressive animals, the vast majority in my opinion are not and even the impressive animals don't hold a candle to the impressiveness of pure locales. In my opinion the value of pure locales goes deeper than their outer looks as you can see more purely how nature has shaped the species across their range and I find that to be extremely interesting and rewarding.

2. They definitely have a lower value commercially and in my opinion their interest value is lower as well for the reasons stated above.

3. No, I would concentrate on how pure the lines appear to be before how impressive the sire is.

4. Once a bloodline is tainted with crossed blood, it can never be a pure locale again. It takes no time or effort to destroy the purity of a bloodline but it takes considerable time and effort to maintain a bloodline's purity. With how easy it is to get mislabeled females in shipments which will result in hybrid offspring until the mistake is realized by the breeder, there is no excuse, in my opinion, to purposefully produce hybrids. In my opinion, every effort should be made to breed pure locales and the accidental hybrids produced while trying to prove out bloodlines can fill the demand for less expensive pets.

Antithesis -

Comparing locales of F. pardalis to dog breeds is not a valid comparison. Locales of F. pardalis are naturally occurring, resulting from countless generations of natural selection. Dog breeds are artificial, resulting from artificial selection over countless generations. Long term multigenerational captive breeding of F. pardalis remains problematic without the introduction of fresh blood. Until we are able to reliably get into the double digits of captive bred generations (>F10), suggesting that artificial breeds of F. pardalis can be produced similar to those of dogs is completely unrealistic.

I personally see nothing short sighted about breeding chameleons by locale, as you have suggested. While there are complications resulting from reliability of obtaining pure locales, with care, experience and resources, it can be done and is being done. The fact that it takes real effort and resources to maintain pure breeding groups is one reason why pure locales demand higher prices, but there is nothing unrealistic or short sighted about breeding by locale.

Regarding a chameleon registry to trace the lineage of your chams, I helped create the Captive Chameleon Bloodline Tracking Database (CCBTD) in 2004 that did exactly that. Unfortunately it was viewed as "the chameleon police" rather than a resource to help locate and manage bloodlines. It ended up being poorly utilized and we finally shut it down.

Chris

Regarding this thread I can just say that: Thank god for the inability of people breeding chameleons in various generations. I will probably never ever see adds like this one:

Check out our new Super Het OrangeYellow Phase Panthers now only available for 499$ each !

Check out our new Super Het OrangeYellow Phase Panthers now only available for 499$ each !

In fact ive been seeing ads like this. Except its for $300 each:rolleyes:. LOL. Im a pure local person. So I dont agree with this at all. There has been no valid answers to change my mind.
Just thought your comment was funny.

ChuckG- I too apreciate the natural beauty of these animals and have so much respect for people like yourself who have so much dedication to them. I do not in any way want to challenge your philosophy and doubt that anything I say will. I think your chameleons are awesome.

Chris Anderson-

Perhaps comparing chameleons to dogs is unrealistic. There may well be 400 breeds of dogs including the accepted crosses out there like Pit Bulls and the number of dogs man has had to work with hasn't been an issue.

I apologise to all the purists out there who may also have been offended by saying that breeding by locale was short sighted. I was excessively illustrating my frustration with locale breeds which look so much alike from time to time that it's difficult to tell the difference between them and the added fact they come from the towns that you are "told" the breed comes from in a country roughly the size of California operating in a system which offers so little verification while at the same time argues stridently that breeders are doing their best to keep pure their breeds. Another problem of mine is that Locales (in some instances) do overlap in the wild and It seems to me that this natural event would create misfit chameleons who pollute their own gene pool and undo hundreds of years of genetic purity- Naturally. what then? You'd never know! "Once a bloodline is tainted with crossed blood, it can never be a pure locale again." But someone would get that chameleon and breed it as "Pure" Locale because it was packaged in that town.

As far as the actual production designer chams and new breeds, I'd like to continue this conversation in ten years.

Kind Regards

Back
Top Bottom