PSA: Always wash your hands...

A friend of mine in college was working in an isolation unit where you scrub in and out, gown and glove and walk through a disinfectant tray to work on a horse with salmonella. Even with all these precautions she got salmonella and was hospitalized for ~two weeks and was in very rough shape. She was a young healthy adult with no immune compromise.
Kids used to get salmonella from red eared sliders all the time growing up until they out lawed the sales of the turtles less than 4 inches across.
It's not worth getting if a simple precaution can prevent it.

I wash my hands after touching reptiles or their supplies, even before sometimes. That said, unless you have a compromised immune system, what are the chances of actually getting sick? My guess is very low.
I do the same before and after, salmonella requires a high inoculation so chances are very low unless you are licking the poo lol!

A friend of mine in college was working in an isolation unit where you scrub in and out, gown and glove and walk through a disinfectant tray to work on a horse with salmonella. Even with all these precautions she got salmonella and was hospitalized for ~two weeks and was in very rough shape. She was a young healthy adult with no immune compromise.
Kids used to get salmonella from red eared sliders all the time growing up until they out lawed the sales of the turtles less than 4 inches across.
It's not worth getting if a simple precaution can prevent it.
Wow that is pretty interesting, I wonder what type of salmonella it was. Typically it’s self limiting...maybe she got typhoid?

d2d.jpg

yep, always wash your hands before and after handling... Believe me the poop your cleaning off the bottom is not the hole load. Everything comes into contact on the way down. Your Chams walk that daily.

I do the same before and after, salmonella requires a high inoculation so chances are very low unless you are licking the poo lol!
What are the chances of other pets contracting it? Does it require direct contact? I always wash my hands like crazy before after sometimes during lol. If one of my dogs got sick I would probably actually die, they are the love of my life!

What are the chances of other pets contracting it? Does it require direct contact? I always wash my hands like crazy before after sometimes during lol. If one of my dogs got sick I would probably actually die, they are the love of my life!
Chances are very very low, especially if you spot clean. I wouldn’t worry about it. :)

Back
Top Bottom