Provoking a colour response.

Jono

George is close on a year now and I have yet to see him in full bloom, as it were. He has a very comfortable routine and a lot of his own space and hiding spots so I've never seen him more than mildly irritated,he has never used his colors in aggression or courting.

The closest I've come is around 8 months he thought a rope I was using to secure his big ficus was a snake. This was very briefly (he was only fooled for a second or so) but it got him hissing (which was a first) and brought out some incredible colors but no where near his full potential.

I don't have access to a female and he doesn't buy the mirror trick at all. I considered buying a rubber snake but that seems cruel so I decided against it.

Without stressing him to much is there any other tricks I could use?

If it is warm in Cape Town, put him outside in a small tree. Chams will react to movements, colors and birds, you may get what you are looking for.

Nick

If he's healthy I wouldn't worry too much about him not fireing up. Just be thankful for a healthy chameleon.

Well then I should I just got a boring non-colour changing reptile:p

Aww! The males are beautiful fired up or not. At least he has some colour - females don't get much colour in comparison. Both are very beautiful in their own right. He looks like a happy, healthy cham to me!:D

Sounds like he's pretty mellow if he's never hissed at you. If he didnt react to the mirror, perhaps he's just not a very reactionary type of fellow. Which many would find a good thing. Perhaps there is someone else in your area with a chameleon, male or female, that you could show to him to provoke the response you want.

George is close on a year now and I have yet to see him in full bloom, as it were. He has a very comfortable routine and a lot of his own space and hiding spots so I've never seen him more than mildly irritated,he has never used his colors in aggression or courting.

The closest I've come is around 8 months he thought a rope I was using to secure his big ficus was a snake. This was very briefly (he was only fooled for a second or so) but it got him hissing (which was a first) and brought out some incredible colors but no where near his full potential.

I don't have access to a female and he doesn't buy the mirror trick at all. I considered buying a rubber snake but that seems cruel so I decided against it.

Without stressing him to much is there any other tricks I could use?

Wake him up from sleeping.
Sleeping colors + being woken up rage = super crazy colors

Not that I would recommend doing this all the time, but for a quick photoshoot for someone super mellow, this works pretty good.

Not that I would recommend doing this all the time, but for a quick photoshoot for someone super mellow, this works pretty good.

ohh ya, i had to wake Clyde up from a nap one time (we were moving and i figured it best to transport him in the middle of the night) he went all crazy on me which is unusual cause he usually is about as tame and mellow as they come.

LOL, never thought of doing that. Might have to give this a whirl. Never woke my baby up on purpose before XD

-Andrea

Haha last try: Printed out one of Jan's pics of her boy in full bloom and snuck up on George's cage. No luck :p

Oh and thanks for the other suggestions: tried him in a tree and waking him up but no luck. Ended up having to climb the tree, little guys faster than you think :D

don't have access to a female and he doesn't buy the mirror trick at all.

I did the Mirror thing with Homer just today, zip, zilch, nada! He dosent like going back inside though! :)

this is homers best fireup inside

newest_fire_019.jpg

Try putting him outdoors to bask. The strange view and the sunlight and heat may get him going. Have you let him stroll around loose in the house and put a reflective surface someplace for him to discover? Finding a "rival" in an unexpected and unfamiliar place might make the difference. I had a male veiled who didn't fire up much in his cage, but he once he knew where reflections were to be found in the house he would make a bee line for them and display. Funniest one was the chrome kick panel on my dishwasher. He would march back and forth hissing and curling in front of it. A female melleri I had would spend a lot of time inflating and wagging her neck flaps at her reflection in a glass stereo cabinet door. Then she would eventually go around to the back of the cabinet trying to find that other annoying cham.

Back
Top Bottom