Progress for Zeppelin.

ElliotG

Chameleon Enthusiast
I just wanted to show the progress of my older cham. Never in a million years did I think I would own chameleons and enjoy it but I’ve been proven wrong. They’re a high maintenance reptile compared to the leopard geckos I owned but I think that’s what makes them amazing.

Zeppelin before I got him:
A277B655-3922-43FD-9530-E23CBADD1787.jpeg 7709E6FA-D1F5-4B74-98EE-2AACDAC1A8B6.jpeg

Zeppelins first day home:
34C2AE89-15C1-4C55-B713-02AB420423A1.jpeg F043877A-DA63-468E-9A52-B9AED3637ED6.jpeg
Zeppelins first cage upgrade:
638CA4D6-5A74-4C8B-938C-7915391CB786.jpeg
B39B2644-417C-4F82-A5F7-2AFC2EE2ABBC.jpeg
zeppelins cage now:
8DE33B87-F612-48DB-BDB4-4177E4A5F1BB.jpeg D56C4459-B8DD-4A97-8FF0-92E482D5AA78.jpeg CD20512A-0DB8-498C-9298-EBFC0EC1E28C.jpeg
Im really proud of how far me and zeppelin have come in just 2 months. I’ve been gutloading his food properly and he’s been eating more healthier. Ate 3 Dubai’s and a silkworm today, and they were dusted with calcium! (He use to not take dusted calcium). It’s been a long slow process but 110% worth it. More improvements to come in the future. I’m just super proud of myself and even prouder of zeppelin for sticking through it.

Hi and welcome. What uvb are you using? Recommended distance from a t5ho 5/6%is 8/9 inches to obtain a uvi of around 3 . Looks like your guy is right at the light. When joining the forum did you fill out a husbandry form?

Hi and welcome. What uvb are you using? Recommended distance from a t5ho 5/6%is 8/9 inches to obtain a uvi of around 3 . Looks like your guy is right at the light. When joining the forum did you fill out a husbandry form?
I don’t think I did, but thank you for the advice! There’s some parts of the cage that he does get a bit close to it. There’s a spot he bask in that doesn’t get too close but I’ve been looking into raising it.

I’m using a zoomed T8 Repti sun UVB bulb. Could I possibly prop the uvb light up higher or would I need to do something else?

Last edited:
So I did some research and around 8-12 inches is the ideal distance for a T8 bulb. I propped the light on the cage higher until told other wise and will the same for other cage.
image.jpg

Sure you can raise the light that's better than lowering the branches and losing space if your getting a solar meter that's great no need for guess work What tube strength do you have in the t8 fixture. You are doing a good job. Do you still have the hammock sometimes these aren't great for chams as their nails can get caught there more for bearded dragons. If you can fill out a husbandry form that would be great so the good members on here can help in the best way to make sure everything is good for you and your little guy 😉

Sure you can raise the light that's better than lowering the branches and losing space if your getting a solar meter that's great no need for guess work What tube strength do you have in the t8 fixture. You are doing a good job. Do you still have the hammock sometimes these aren't great for chams as their nails can get caught there more for bearded dragons. If you can fill out a husbandry form that would be great so the good members on here can help in the best way to make sure everything is good for you and your little guy 😉
I took out the solar meter part, they’re more like these detecting cards? Might be for detecting whether your bulbs are producing optimal UVB.

I’ll link the website for all the info on the bulbs.

Ill post the husbandry forum here once I’m done with it. Again thanks A lot for the light Information. It can sometimes get confusing.

I chose to prop them so I don’t loose space.

https://zoomed.com/wp-content/uploa...UVB+reading&channel=aplab&source=a-app1&hl=en

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - A 3 year old male Veiled Chameleon. In my care 2 1/2 months.
  • Handling - At least 1-2 a week for cleaning.
  • Feeding - I feed Dubai’s, silkworms, super worms and hornworms occasionally. I gut load with collard greens and mustard greens, veggies like carrots and bell peppers occasionally.
  • Supplements - Reptivite calcium with D3 and Vitamins on the 1st and 16th of the month. Dusted/liquid calcium (whichever one he takes.) every other feeding.
  • Watering - misting 3 times a day 2 minutes at a time. Sometimes I’ll take a bottle and spray him to watch him drink. I do see him drink off his leaves. He had a dripper 24/7 that drips onto leaves and into a plant.
  • Fecal Description - White eurates and solid waste.
  • History - Lived 3 years without heat lamp and UVB and just fed crickets. DIDNT come from best circumstances.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - A screen 2 x 2 x 4
  • Lighting - Zoomed 75 watt heat bulb with a Zoomed dome UVB light and a T8 bulb.
  • Temperature - his basking spot is low 80s (81)and has areas that are in the high 70s (77-79). Ambient temperature of his enclosure is low 70s(70-73). Nighttime temps in low 70s high 60s. I measure with a temperature gun made for purposes or catch ambient and surface heat.
  • Humidity - 50% humidity. Retained by long mistings and live plants.
  • Plants - I have a dracaena and a money tree. I plan to add more.
  • Placement - Cage is temporarily in living room which isn’t high traffic. Only two people live here. Not near vents or busy areas. They will be moved to spare bedroom once renovations are done.
  • Location - south eastern Idaho.

Current Problem - lighting issue that was fixed.

Yeah I got the cards once they are what they are. They don't give you a reading that's why they are a couple of bucks vs a couple of hundred for solarmeter. It should say on your uvb tube what it is and what percentage did you buy the light recently?

Hi so some great places for info, chameleon academy. You tube-neptune the chameleon and also casque above. Com

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210115-215443_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210115-215443_Chrome.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 56
  • Screenshot_20200820-133907_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200820-133907_Chrome.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 62
  • 20210717_211822.jpg
    20210717_211822.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 53
Hi @ElliotG . So you will want as mentioned check the % of your uvb tube and also think about upgrading this at some point to a t5ho I recommend an arcadia 6% . Superworms only as treats ( feeder page already attached) having a good variety in feeders is good . Also keeping a log ( added is good for you and your cham should a vet visit be required. Attached. All live plants no fake as veiled are notorious for eating plants and fake can cause an impaction risk ( only use veiled tested ) . Supplements _ you will want to use a calcium phosphorus free no d3 at every feeding then say the 1st and 16th reptivite multivitamin +d3 . Do not directly spray your cham . Ok so temp guns are good but only measure surface temps you will want digital wired probes 1 at basking 1 at the bottom and a humidity gauge in the middle I use these in conjunction with a temp gun and a govee mini wireless. ( make sure your humidity gauge/s are not getting wet from your dripper or mister as this will give you false readings. If I have misted anything or you have any questions feel free to ask 😉

Hi @ElliotG . So you will want as mentioned check the % of your uvb tube and also think about upgrading this at some point to a t5ho I recommend an arcadia 6% . Superworms only as treats ( feeder page already attached) having a good variety in feeders is good . Also keeping a log ( added is good for you and your cham should a vet visit be required. Attached. All live plants no fake as veiled are notorious for eating plants and fake can cause an impaction risk ( only use veiled tested ) . Supplements _ you will want to use a calcium phosphorus free no d3 at every feeding then say the 1st and 16th reptivite multivitamin +d3 . Do not directly spray your cham . Ok so temp guns are good but only measure surface temps you will want digital wired probes 1 at basking 1 at the bottom and a humidity gauge in the middle I use these in conjunction with a temp gun and a govee mini wireless. ( make sure your humidity gauge/s are not getting wet from your dripper or mister as this will give you false readings. If I have misted anything or you have any questions feel free to ask 😉
Awesome! That really helps! He only gets super worms occasionally as a treat, and I try not to directly spray him. I’ll get those probes too for heat and humidity gages. Thanks!

Ok so temps are good but best to check if they are the same with the probes . I forgot/ missed for a veiled your humidity should be 30 % 50 % max daytime this does not have to stay at the max it can fluctuate during the day. What is your misting schedule?

Ok so temps are good but best to check if they are the same with the probes . I forgot/ missed for a veiled your humidity should be 30 % 50 % max daytime this does not have to stay at the max it can fluctuate during the day. What is your misting schedule?
8am 4pm and 12 am is my misting schedule. I let it fluctuate during the day. I let his enclosure dry out so it isn’t wet 24/7 abs cause molding/rot.

Ps your welcome . You are doing a great job 👍
Hey, I do have a question! What plants do you keep with your Chams or recommend? I’ve been looking at a few list/post and can’t decide. Golden pothos has caught my attention. I just wonder if the vines are strong enough for my Cham.

And if I could buy it at a long length. I might have to order online because the stores in my area don’t have much.

Back
Top Bottom